Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #296697

Subject: "Rising Thunder (new fighting game from the creators of EVO and GGPO)" Previous topic | Next topic
IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Sat Jul-18-15 11:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Rising Thunder (new fighting game from the creators of EVO and GGPO)"

The Cannon Brothers are making a fighting game and it looks like it's trying to be Street Fighter (with robots). I mean that as a compliment. Most new fighting games are so scared to go head-to-head with SF that they come up with all sorts of gimmicks to differentiate themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr9KGKrj4aw

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Rising Thunder (new fighting game from the creators of EVO and GGPO)
Jul 19th 2015
this is true...if we're talking about broad strokes.
Jul 19th 2015
      true...
Jul 19th 2015
GAMEPLAY CLIP. Seth Killian is also involved in the development
Jul 20th 2015
which market is this game meant to cater to, exactly?
Jul 20th 2015
the more i read about it, the more confused i'm getting
Jul 20th 2015
on the plus side, they're really leaning into the F2P model
Jul 20th 2015
gameplay breakdown (swipe):
Jul 20th 2015
i have another invite to the alpha if you want it.
Aug 07th 2015
      i got an invite too. looking to get a new PC i can play it on soon.
Aug 08th 2015
Looks dope. I hope it eventually comes to consoles.
Aug 08th 2015
they gotta be working on a console port.
Aug 08th 2015
still ain't played yet, but i'm no longer skeptical about this game
Sep 15th 2015
Riot bought them out. Rising Thunder is being shut down. :(
Mar 08th 2016
I don't think it's being canned. I think they just ended the public
Mar 08th 2016
      Nah, it's permanent. The team is working on a new game
Mar 08th 2016
           Ah, ok. My mistake.
Mar 09th 2016
           If they shut down thunder
Mar 10th 2016
                I hope so. I really wanted to see RT expanded on as is tho
Mar 10th 2016
                     Im excited. This could be huge. Very huge.
Mar 11th 2016
                          you right. let me stop hatin
Mar 11th 2016

jimaveli
Charter member
6613 posts
Sun Jul-19-15 01:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Rising Thunder (new fighting game from the creators of EVO and GGPO)"
In response to Reply # 0

There isn't a lot of new places to put paint in the genre. But hey...maybe they'll surprise us and come up with something.

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Sun Jul-19-15 02:18 PM

2. "this is true...if we're talking about broad strokes."
In response to Reply # 1

but if we're talking about broad strokes, it can be true for literally every other genre too.

little differences can make similar games feel and play vastly different, though.

just think about the Street Fighter franchise alone. each iteration of the game is pretty similar from a distance, but there's a reason why ST players don't fuck with 3rd Strike, and why '09ers don't understand anything before SF4.

or look at KI, which started out as a glorified SF4 mod but has since established itself as an entirely different beast.

Rising Thunder looks, in these clips, very similar to what Capcom is trying to do with SFV, but god is in the details. As a fan of the genre, I want as many great games as the community can sustainably support, because the little things each title adds is what's really interesting about these games.

-30-

jimaveli
Charter member
6613 posts
Sun Jul-19-15 03:41 PM

3. "true..."
In response to Reply # 2
Sun Jul-19-15 03:44 PM by jimaveli

You ain't lied. I went through a little bit of a SF museum over this weekend. I played a lotta IV (hell...I have that game on PS3, XB360, and PS4 now...ridiculous). I played Alpha Anthology (PS2). I spent some time with 3S (XB360) too. I even rolled up on ST and the HD remix (XB360...and got worked).

IV...maaaan, it is such a game. It is 'so easy' to start off but there is soooooo much you can do with so many characters. The bad part is that it can be played in a VERY low-brow manner as folks try to ape what they see in tourneys with much better players at the helm.

Jabbity jab jab as someone's whole offense makes me sad. I get why tourney cats do it when they do it. At their level, there's really no option. I also totally understand that they elevated it by closing out/finishing jabbity jab setups when they land. And then there's the speed of mindgames of true pokes, footsies and all of that. What I see online is not really that tho. It is mostly people mindlessly crouch jabbing no matter what the situation is because that is all they know to do when they aren't trying to throw or EX their character's best moves...that is VERY different. I don't luv that.

I wish I could make myself parry with regularity on 3S. I really do. But I find myself eating crazy damage trying to wax off/wax on..even from the computer...I'm so scrubby on 3S it ain't even funny but I just dig that game.

I felt true sadness with Dictator Super Psycho Crusher'd me to death on Alpha 3.

>but if we're talking about broad strokes, it can be true for
>literally every other genre too.
>
>little differences can make similar games feel and play vastly
>different, though.
>
>just think about the Street Fighter franchise alone. each
>iteration of the game is pretty similar from a distance, but
>there's a reason why ST players don't fuck with 3rd Strike,
>and why '09ers don't understand anything before SF4.
>
>or look at KI, which started out as a glorified SF4 mod but
>has since established itself as an entirely different beast.
>
>Rising Thunder looks, in these clips, very similar to what
>Capcom is trying to do with SFV, but god is in the details. As
>a fan of the genre, I want as many great games as the
>community can sustainably support, because the little things
>each title adds is what's really interesting about these
>games.

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Mon Jul-20-15 01:44 PM

4. "GAMEPLAY CLIP. Seth Killian is also involved in the development"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=32&v=CXGpsybRflw

this shit looks legit, y'all.

-30-

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8049 posts
Mon Jul-20-15 01:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "which market is this game meant to cater to, exactly?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-20-15 01:56 PM by bearfield

the subset of the subset of gamers who like both high-skill frame-based input fighting games and ...macross?

i don't understand what this game has or will have that the other 7-8 most popular games in the genre don't already offer. i suppose KI was in a similar boat a few years ago but that at least had brand recognition attached to it. i have a feeling this game will end up like skullgirls or melty blood. which isn't necessarily a bad thing

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Mon Jul-20-15 02:03 PM

6. "the more i read about it, the more confused i'm getting"
In response to Reply # 5

like the gameplay looks dope.

it looks as fluid and agile as a fighting game is supposed to be.

but reading the interviews...i'm starting to think maybe this isn't for me. they're talking about it being able to be played with a keyboard and shit.

look, i'm all for reducing the execution barriers in fighting games and focusing on reads and strategy, but if this shit is keyboard viable they might be going a bit too extreme in that direction for my taste.

i need more info, but my hype has been checked and i'm back to skeptical, despite the pedigree this game has.

-30-

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Mon Jul-20-15 02:08 PM

7. "on the plus side, they're really leaning into the F2P model"
In response to Reply # 5

they're trying to be the League of Legends of fighting games. too bad SFV is coming to steal that thunder, though.

-30-

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Mon Jul-20-15 02:17 PM

8. "gameplay breakdown (swipe):"
In response to Reply # 0

TL;DR:
-can be played with a controller, stick, or keyboard.
-motion controls seem to be out (no quarter circles)
-“It’s a completely core fighter, like everything else, it’s just that the special moves don’t involve any weird motions. That’s it. That’s really the only difference. That’s kind of the bet of this whole game.”

http://www.pcgamer.com/rising-thunder-a-pc-only-fighting-game-from-experts-in-the-genre/

i want this shit to work, but i need a full on gameplay walkthrough to really know what's going on.

-30-

Jesse Badgreen
Member since Sep 30th 2003
7816 posts
Fri Aug-07-15 08:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "i have another invite to the alpha if you want it."
In response to Reply # 8

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Sat Aug-08-15 01:19 PM

11. "i got an invite too. looking to get a new PC i can play it on soon."
In response to Reply # 9

-30-

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Sat Aug-08-15 01:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Looks dope. I hope it eventually comes to consoles. "
In response to Reply # 0

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Sat Aug-08-15 01:23 PM

12. "they gotta be working on a console port."
In response to Reply # 10

we already got free-to-play and cross-platform games out on consoles.

they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they left PS4 or Xbox out.

-30-

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Tue Sep-15-15 05:36 PM

13. "still ain't played yet, but i'm no longer skeptical about this game"
In response to Reply # 0

been watching hella matches and streams. it's a joy to watch, because the type of play we see at the high level is already evolved to a point that rivals games that been out for months and years.

who is this for?

A) people who like street fighter.

B) people who like street fighter but ain't good at street fighter.

the first official tournament was this week. watch this shit and you'll be convinced like i am.

winners finals with F. Champ was hella good:
https://youtu.be/DSGS2baVHAk

youtube playlist of the whole tournament:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5n6M_nMn9ONDSSFqfhmfcgcCCxOTnDDM

twitch archive of the whole night (with Seth Killian giving commentary):
http://www.twitch.tv/showdowngg/v/15316604

-30-

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Tue Mar-08-16 05:18 PM

14. "Riot bought them out. Rising Thunder is being shut down. :("
In response to Reply # 0

-30-

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Tue Mar-08-16 07:37 PM

15. "I don't think it's being canned. I think they just ended the public"
In response to Reply # 14

alpha test.

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Tue Mar-08-16 09:03 PM

16. "Nah, it's permanent. The team is working on a new game"
In response to Reply # 15

Probably some LoL fighting game...

http://www.radiant-entertainment.com/

Radiant + Riot Games
We are delighted to announce that Radiant Entertainment has been acquired by Riot Games. At Riot, our developers will continue their mission of building incredible games that speak to us personally as players. You’re probably wondering what this means for our games.

First and foremost, Stonehearth will go on, full speed ahead. We’ll continue delivering Alphas at our current pace, with the aim of delivering the final game “when it’s ready.” We’ll continue keeping you up to date on our progress through things like our Twitch streams and Desktop Tuesday blog posts.

As for Rising Thunder, the team will start work on a new game that we’re incredibly excited about. We wish we could say more now, but rest assured you’ll hear more when the time is right. For now, we will be permanently closing Rising Thunder on March 18th. Thanks to everyone who participated in the Alpha!

And more broadly, to everyone who has helped support us by playing Stonehearth and Rising Thunder, backing our Kickstarter, telling your friends, and giving us your feedback: Thank you for helping us make these games as good as they can be. You have been a consistent source of motivation and inspiration for us, and we look forward to continuing to talk and work with you in the future.

- Tom & Tony, on behalf of Team Radiant

-30-

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Wed Mar-09-16 12:24 AM

17. "Ah, ok. My mistake."
In response to Reply # 16

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu Mar-10-16 09:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "If they shut down thunder"
In response to Reply # 16

I am going to be optimistic they are just gonna re-use a bunch of the assets for this 'new' game.

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Thu Mar-10-16 05:01 PM

19. "I hope so. I really wanted to see RT expanded on as is tho"
In response to Reply # 18

I'm still interested to see what they do with the League of Legends shit, since I'm sure RT's core mechanics are going to carry over, but I'm a bit less enthusiastic.

-30-

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Mar-11-16 09:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "Im excited. This could be huge. Very huge."
In response to Reply # 19
Fri Mar-11-16 03:20 PM by BigReg

You've already got a team that knows their fighting shit in and out and assets for a very solid 'core' of a fighter.

Riot brings in their superb sense of character design, online features, and most importantly CASH, cause that's something fighting game developers haven't had in decades, lol.

If the future of fighting games is going to be like SF5/Killer Instinct are hinting is competative e-sports...Riot games are the ones who could finally bring the ball past the goal lin

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Fri Mar-11-16 01:10 PM

21. "you right. let me stop hatin"
In response to Reply # 20

-30-

Lobby High-Tech topic #296697 Previous topic | Next topic