Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #296312

Subject: "Free Windows 10 (No Window 7 or 8 license needed)" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Fri Jun-19-15 05:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Free Windows 10 (No Window 7 or 8 license needed)"

So long story short, Join the MS Insider program:
https://insider.windows.com/?lc=1033

Then install a Windows 10 preview, and connect your MSA (Miscroft Account) to it and when Windows 10 ships it'll upgrade and it'll be genuine for the PC you connected.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/06/heres-how-to-get-windows-10-for-free-even-if-you-dont-have-windows-7-or-8/

--
Gabriel Aul
‏@GabeAul
@DrPizza Install 10130, connect registered Insider MSA, upgrade to RTM, stays genuine.
--
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

Getting the final release on July 29th
Windows Insiders running the Windows 10 Insider Preview (Home and Pro editions) with their registered MSA connected to their PC will receive the final release build of Windows 10 starting on July 29th. This will come as just another flight. I’ve gotten a lot of questions from Windows Insiders about how this will work if they clean installed from ISO. As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the MSA you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build and remain activated. Once you have successfully installed this build and activated, you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
So, I'm building a PC sometime soon
Jun 20th 2015
You can download an ISO of Windows 10
Jun 20th 2015
      I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO
Jun 20th 2015

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Sat Jun-20-15 01:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "So, I'm building a PC sometime soon"
In response to Reply # 0

Is there a way to install this straight to it without having an OS on there?

These are the parts if it matters: https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Sat Jun-20-15 12:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "You can download an ISO of Windows 10"
In response to Reply # 1

I'm not sure if it allows for a direct install or if it requires an existing OS. You would have to do some research to find out.

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Sat Jun-20-15 02:05 PM

3. "I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat Jun-20-15 02:06 PM by handle

Couldn't install from it from the ISO, you have to start in Windows 7 or Windows 8.

I cloned my existing Windows SSD to a HD, did the upgrade, connected my Microsoft Account and that should be enough to get the license. (The put my SSD back in.)

You could try this:
Download an ISO of Windows 7 or 8 you can get on the net. (I'm not sure if Digital River still has them.)
Install with or without a product key.
Then update to Windows 10 preview and connect your MSA to it.

Lobby High-Tech topic #296312 Previous topic | Next topic