Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #295870

Subject: "Noise Cancelling Headphones" Previous topic | Next topic
boombapdame
Member since Apr 22nd 2015
118 posts
Thu May-28-15 02:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Noise Cancelling Headphones"

I need some recommendations for noise cancelling headphones. I'm in a situation where I refuse to use my earbuds for my iPhone as I found out that the sound damages the ear canal and this is depressing for me personally. I don't care for the Beats By Dre line period.

"If one forces the process, it comes out fake. And to me there's nothing worse than being fake." - Heavy D

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
You have a lot of options. What's your budget?
May 28th 2015
I've bought the Audio Technica
Jun 08th 2015
second this
Jun 08th 2015
At this point, there are so many blogs/discussions dedicated to this
Jun 08th 2015
whats your budget/form factor req?
Jun 08th 2015

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Thu May-28-15 03:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "You have a lot of options. What's your budget?"
In response to Reply # 0

One big distinction is active vs passive noise cancelling (passive can also be called noise isolating). Active involves a microphone taking in outside noise and actively feeding cancelling sounds into whatever you're listening to. The things to consider here are a) requires a power source like batteries and b) works best when the outside noise is consistent, like riding on an airplane, as opposed to inconsistent noise like attending a baseball game.

Passive uses only its closed back ear cups and sealing ear pads to passively keep out outside noise. Nothing fancy, just a physical barrier, no power required.

A good, cheap option for passive is the Sennheiser HD 202. And the sound quality and comfort will go up with Sennheiser model number (and price). The 202 (which I have and use) is fairly comfortable and gives good sound quality for the money (about $22, or less when on sale). If I was buying a pair right now, I'd probably go for the HD 429 which is $38 on Amazon. I haven't used them, but they have bigger pads and go over the ear more, and are supposed to have better sound quality. That would be worth the extra $16 to me.

I'll have to leave it to someone else to recommend an active noise cancelling set...I don't know.

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Mon Jun-08-15 02:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I've bought the Audio Technica"
In response to Reply # 0

over the war and the ear bud noise canceling headphones. They are excellent.

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Mon Jun-08-15 08:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "second this"
In response to Reply # 2

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Mon Jun-08-15 06:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "At this point, there are so many blogs/discussions dedicated to this"
In response to Reply # 0

It's probably worth you doing some research, then coming
back here with very specific questions

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Mon Jun-08-15 08:54 AM

5. "whats your budget/form factor req?"
In response to Reply # 0

on ear? over the ear?
wireless?
small? studio? in-between?

i use the Kinivo BTH240 not noise cancelling, but pretty close for the price.

Lobby High-Tech topic #295870 Previous topic | Next topic