Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #295865

Subject: "The Official Android M Post" Previous topic | Next topic
Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28844 posts
Thu May-28-15 01:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Official Android M Post"

Let's talk about Android M!

Android M consists of:

Granular app permission control confirmed! Application will prompt you to allow/deny permission as the app requests it. Example shown of Whatsapp.

Finger-print can be used to unlock device, purchase on Play Store, or perform in-app purchases.

Improved word-selection. Added a floating toolbar for improved copy-paste.
Improved sharing. System will learn what apps you share to the most and adjust the list accordingly.

Simplified volume controls. DROP-DOWN TO CONTROL INDIVIDUAL VOLUME STREAMS.

NEXUS 5, 6, 9, and PLAYER CONFIRMED DEV RELEASE.

Android Pay (NFC)

Can be activated through Android app or other banking apps.

Working with banks and carriers to ensure as smooth an experience as possible.
On Android M, finger-print sensor can be used to secure payment transactions.

Chrome

Chrome "custom tabs." A webview overlay on top of an app that developers that customize. Benefits of Chrome sync included. Rolling out in Q3. Example shown on Pinterest.

Talks on improving data savings in developing countries to compensate for poor network speeds. Network Quality Indicator can smartly choose what elements of a webpage to load to make it both fast to load and still usable.

Google Maps

Google Maps offline! Can get contextual information such as reviews and opening times offline! TURN-BY-TURN NAVIGATION CONFIRMED.

Google Now

New focus on understanding context. Have built up a new powerful context-engine.
"Now-on-tap." Takes advantage of Android M functionality to improve Google Now on phones. Ex. listening to a Skrillex song, you can ask "what's his real name" and Google will answer based on this context. Ex. an e-mail mentioning "movies this weekend" with the keyword "Tomorrowland", Google Now brings up a card with details of the movie.

Google Photos

New app. A lifetime of photos and videos, stored and synced across all devices. Can jump back and forth all the way to the beginning.

Pinch-to-expand increases the time-frame between photos taken. Eg. days --> weeks --> months --> years.

Can sort photos by people, and can scroll through their entire history of photos taken.
Can create collages, animations, movies with sound-tracks, and more by pressing + button.

New "select-all" animation. Tap-hold and scroll down.

UNLIMITED photo storage. 16MP for photos and 1080p res videos maximum. High-quality is the goal! AVAILABLE TODAY on ANDROID, IOS, and WEB.

Google Play

Developer Pages - pages that function a lot like YouTube About pages. Can add photos, featured app, text, and more!

A/B app listings. Devs can whip out test variations to different testing channels.
Smart ad listings. Will profile users and determine which ad style is most effective to be shown.

YouTube

Offline videos! Select countries only. Can cache videos for up to 48 hours.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I like this right here
May 30th 2015
and this weekend, Google must have heard my rants
May 31st 2015
Honest question: How many people had Lollipop on their phone?
May 30th 2015
I got Android L as soon as it was available for my phone
May 30th 2015
It's on my OnePlus One and my first gen Moto G
May 30th 2015
I copped a Nexus just so I'd be up to date.
May 31st 2015
I should probably start paying attention to this shit
May 30th 2015
the new google photos is really, really nice.
May 30th 2015
i was hype at first....but after a few days, not so much.....
May 31st 2015
if you want to keep full res you can just use your Drive storage
May 31st 2015
      Trying to see if I can set smartphone pics to upload under the free
May 31st 2015
Is there a way to convert Drive photos to Google Photos?
Jun 01st 2015
They are one & the same if i'm not mistaken....not duplicates....
Jun 02nd 2015
Has anyone looked at the terms of use for this service?
Jun 02nd 2015
      There's some concern
Jun 03rd 2015
      that site should delete itself
Jun 03rd 2015
      no. no. no. no. no. no. no. no. and no.
Jun 03rd 2015
           I linked to that site just for the compresison of all images, not the TO...
Jun 03rd 2015
                it doesn't, this is already known. it is not a question at all.
Jun 03rd 2015

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Sat May-30-15 02:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I like this right here"
In response to Reply # 0

>Granular app permission control confirmed! Application will
>prompt you to allow/deny permission as the app requests it.
>Example shown of Whatsapp.

also, being able to take Google Maps online is a great move. Wonder what it means for Android Auto.

Of course, by the time they update Google Maps to allow this I wonder if my EFFIN phone will work with the shit (damn Verizon, kind of wish Google and other manufacturers would forbid them from bloating up and effing up the OS behind their dumbshit)

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Sun May-31-15 02:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "and this weekend, Google must have heard my rants"
In response to Reply # 1

it works... about 80% (voice control ain't working). there has to be something weird on the phone.

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Sat May-30-15 09:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Honest question: How many people had Lollipop on their phone?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not sure how many folks are actually getting the "latest and greatest" versions of Android.

Did anyone here (there than me) have a phone that got lollipop?

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Sat May-30-15 10:11 AM

3. "I got Android L as soon as it was available for my phone"
In response to Reply # 2

but this was because Android Auto was coming, I really like Google Maps and I wanted it in my car. I even switched to using Hangouts in preparation.

Generally, I don't usually hop on the "new OS" bandwagon. Android L did manage to fix a few annoying things about KitKat (Bluetooth metadata working properly with car stereos, added MirrorLink... not that THAT works without good software, etc)

and now whatever's happened to fix it has brought the battery consumption back to what it was when I first got the phone

most of my complaints are not w/Google, but with Verizon and their bloat/make things easier for our customers bullshit

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Sat May-30-15 05:50 PM

5. "It's on my OnePlus One and my first gen Moto G"
In response to Reply # 2

now, it only came to both of those recently. but these are phones that, combined, cost less than $500 off contract

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Sun May-31-15 07:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "I copped a Nexus just so I'd be up to date."
In response to Reply # 2

I've had L for a while.

https://digife.com

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Sat May-30-15 03:12 PM

4. "I should probably start paying attention to this shit"
In response to Reply # 0

If I get a Fi invite I may be losing the iPhone.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Sat May-30-15 05:51 PM

6. "the new google photos is really, really nice."
In response to Reply # 0

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Sun May-31-15 12:51 PM

7. "i was hype at first....but after a few days, not so much....."
In response to Reply # 6

The photo quality is degraded too much for my taste when you go with the unlimited "High Quality" upload option vs. the Original Full size.

I'm seeing a LOT of obvious grain & pixelation on photo's that look pristine on my flickr & ThisLife accounts.

I wish they would just allow full resolution unlimited and call it a day. I was an avid user of Google+ photo's and I tried to stay on top of my storage capacity by only having my choice shots uploaded to it....

I was hoping that I could use the new Photos as an alternative to Flickr....doesn't look like it's going to work out that way for me though.

"Seasons may come and your luck just may run out, and all that you'll have is some memories..."

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Sun May-31-15 04:43 PM

9. "if you want to keep full res you can just use your Drive storage"
In response to Reply # 7

I didn't notice degradation, but I'm looking at smartphone and at best point-and-shoot pics

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Sun May-31-15 07:56 PM

11. "Trying to see if I can set smartphone pics to upload under the free"
In response to Reply # 9

tier and have desktop (DSLR) photos upload at full resolution against my google drive quota.

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28844 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 11:35 PM

12. "Is there a way to convert Drive photos to Google Photos?"
In response to Reply # 6

Also, how do I add my entire Yosemite photos library to Google photos?

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 08:30 AM

13. "They are one & the same if i'm not mistaken....not duplicates...."
In response to Reply # 12

so you should be able to see photos you have stored in Drive in the Google Photos account page.

You'll need to download the Google Photos desktop uploader tool to get your yosimite pictures onto the Google Photos cloud. Here it is: https://photos.google.com/apps

be careful though....keep a local copy!!!!!

AZ
Charter member
12930 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 11:08 PM

14. "Has anyone looked at the terms of use for this service? "
In response to Reply # 6

Do you give up all rights to your photo by uploading it to Google's servers?

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 01:14 AM

15. "There's some concern"
In response to Reply # 14

Google it, but they're probably not going to take a photo you uploaded and turn it into a banner ad somewhere -- at this time.

Also note that Google will compress your photos and that the originals aren;t saved. (See http://www.siliconbeat.com/2015/05/29/google-photos-sounds-great-but-you-should-read-the-small-print/)

I have mine in Flickr (free 1 TB would take me a decade of more to fill) and see no big need to change.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 01:39 AM

17. "that site should delete itself"
In response to Reply # 15

that's not small print at all. when you open the website or the app, there's a screen that details specifically these things, and pretty much only those things. you can't miss it.

calling it small print is just a fucking lie for clicks.

shit. these are my first non-positive posts in a while but the shit really pisses me off

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 01:37 AM

16. "no. no. no. no. no. no. no. no. and no."
In response to Reply # 14

if you read that anywhere NEVER GO BACK TO THAT SITE AGAIN.

Every single cloud storage service has the same terms of service.

The right to perform/remix/transfer etc. is needed, so they show you your pictures, whenever where ever you want.

THE FIRST GOD DAMN LINE IN THE TOS EXPLAINS THIS BECAUSE IT'S HAPPENED TO DROPBOX AND EVERYONE ELSE ALREADY

I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at the shitty sites that spread this bullshit.

you can read it for yourself right here, the relevant section is "your content in our services"

https://www.google.com/policies/terms/

FIRST FUCKING LINE

"Some of our Services allow you to upload, submit, store, send or receive content. You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours."

No, they do not own your content. No, they can't sell it.

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 11:59 AM

18. "I linked to that site just for the compresison of all images, not the TO..."
In response to Reply # 16

>No, they do not own your content. No, they can't sell it.

But can they use it? They may not own it, but does their license (or will it ever be amended to) allow them to show it as part of an AD?

And when they do will it matter?

It's like when you go to Disneyland they say they can snap a photo of you and use it advertising, but I doubt they do that without getting more permission.

Pretty sure what's actually going to really happen is this:
You upload some images. Google grabs the meta data (including brand of camera, and GPS) and does image recognition.

If you went to Italy and your on a boat they'll increase the odds of them showing you an ad about italy or a boat.

How much of this data do they give to the advertisers? I'm not sure, but it's more than Apple. And Apple uses it more than if you stored it on a hard drive in your own house.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 02:13 PM

19. "it doesn't, this is already known. it is not a question at all."
In response to Reply # 18

Apple has the exact same language in its TOS, so droes dropbox and everyone else. It has already been discussed.

https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/icloud/en/terms.html

" H. Content Submitted or Made Available by You on the Service

1. License from You. Except for material we may license to you, Apple does not claim ownership of the materials and/or Content you submit or make available on the Service. However, by submitting or posting such Content on areas of the Service that are accessible by the public or other users with whom you consent to share such Content, you grant Apple a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform and publicly display such Content on the Service solely for the purpose for which such Content was submitted or made available, without any compensation or obligation to you. You agree that any Content submitted or posted by you shall be your sole responsibility, shall not infringe or violate the rights of any other party or violate any laws, contribute to or encourage infringing or otherwise unlawful conduct, or otherwise be obscene, objectionable, or in poor taste. By submitting or posting such Content on areas of the Service that are accessible by the public or other users, you are representing that you are the owner of such material and/or have all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to distribute it."

Lobby High-Tech topic #295865 Previous topic | Next topic