Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #295852

Subject: "Storage solutions for HD movies, photos, etc" Previous topic | Next topic
xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Wed May-27-15 02:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Storage solutions for HD movies, photos, etc"
Wed May-27-15 02:17 PM by xangeluvr

so i just recently had 2 external HDs fail on me. i was only using them to store HD movies which i watch using my WDTv Live.

anyway, now that i've lost a few terabytes of files i'm wondering what solutions you folks use to store lots of data at home. i'm not particularly sad over the data loss, but if i can avoid it in the future that would be great. plus i can take this opportunity to add more storage.

one thing i've been thinking about is i might move to saudi arabia at the beginning of next year and it would be nice to take my catalog of movies with me as there won't be a ton to things to do while i'm working there.

additionally it would be nice to have another backup space for photos. currently for photos i have copies on the internal drive, then use 2 different ext HDs as backup.

thanks.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
if you don't want to lose it, you gotta keep a backup
May 27th 2015
a drobo system?
May 28th 2015
RE: a drobo system?
May 28th 2015
3-2-1
May 28th 2015
I am considering getting this bad boy
Jun 03rd 2015
I have one
Jun 03rd 2015
      I want access to my entire photo collection anywhere in the world.
Jun 04th 2015
           Yes
Jun 04th 2015
                I've been looking at this too lately,
Jun 04th 2015
                     Backblaze is reasonable
Jun 04th 2015

exactopposite
Member since Aug 21st 2002
15132 posts
Wed May-27-15 07:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "if you don't want to lose it, you gotta keep a backup"
In response to Reply # 0

there is no alternative to a backup

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36963 posts
Thu May-28-15 12:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "a drobo system?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'd start there.

Saudi Arabia? damn.

https://digife.com

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Thu May-28-15 11:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: a drobo system?"
In response to Reply # 2

yeah, looking at doing a 1 or 2 year contract there in one of the hospitals in riyadh. will be able to save up a lot more money while also travelling more.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

handle
Charter member
18942 posts
Thu May-28-15 12:35 AM

3. "3-2-1"
In response to Reply # 0

What is a 3-2-1 Backup Strategy?
A 3-2-1 strategy means having at least 3 total copies of your data, 2 of which are local but on different mediums (read: devices), and at least 1 copy offsite. We’ll use “kitten.jpg” as an example for this scenario. Kitten.jpg lives on your computer at home, it was a picture that you took of your cat in 2012. That’s one copy of the data. You also have an external hard drive that you use for backing up your computer, if you’re on a Mac, you might be using it as a Time Machine drive (and Backblaze loves Time Machine). As part of its backup process, that external hard drive will back up kitten.jpg. That’s a second copy, on a different device or medium. In addition that external hard drive, you also have an online backup solution. The online backup continuously scans your computer and uploads your data offsite to a datacenter. Kitten.jpg is included in this upload, and that becomes the third copy of your data.

More here:
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheComputerBackupRuleOfThree.aspx

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 04:22 PM

5. "I am considering getting this bad boy"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.amazon.com/Cloud-WDBCTL0020HWT-2TB-Personal-Storage/dp/B00EVVGAFI/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1433366541&sr=1-1&keywords=my+cloud+WD

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're

handle
Charter member
18942 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 04:46 PM

6. "I have one"
In response to Reply # 5

Actually I have one at home, and bought one as a Christmas gift for a friend. (black color)

I use it for Mac TimeMachine backups.

It's fine, but a little slow. I did put some media on it and it played fine.

I paid $89 for mine at Frys, it was some sort of sale in late 2013.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Thu Jun-04-15 10:30 AM

7. "I want access to my entire photo collection anywhere in the world. "
In response to Reply # 6

Can this help with that?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're

handle
Charter member
18942 posts
Thu Jun-04-15 12:03 PM

8. "Yes"
In response to Reply # 7

You create a WDMyCloud.com account.

Then add it to the device, and then authorize apps to access it.

See the manual:
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf

Starts around page 60.

It's not "Mom could buy it and it just works" level of easy, but its not much harder.

kajsidog
Charter member
2702 posts
Thu Jun-04-15 08:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "I've been looking at this too lately,"
In response to Reply # 8

Good to hear a real use review of it. Mine would hold photos and music along with backing up two computers.

I plan to back it up to a portable drive that lives offsite. I've also considered having it back up to a cloud service but that seems an expensive slow route.

See ya, JAK
http://www.staugustinepics.com/

Winner of OKP Second Photo Kontest
Pic #6 http://www.tha-renaissance.com/effstop/kontest2

handle
Charter member
18942 posts
Thu Jun-04-15 10:38 PM

10. "Backblaze is reasonable"
In response to Reply # 9

https://www.backblaze.com/best-online-backup-service.html

$50 a year, unlimited backup for 1 computer including external drives.

Lobby High-Tech topic #295852 Previous topic | Next topic