Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #295712

Subject: "putting together some friendly USFIV tourneys for work" Previous topic | Next topic
L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Sat May-16-15 07:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"putting together some friendly USFIV tourneys for work"

thought I'd hop in here and and see if there are any suggestions from you all.

It will be streamed and though I've seen countless fighting streams I've never really thought of the nuances of how it's set up.

Here's what I have thus far:

16 player tourney with commentators for both USFIV and Mortal Kombat
grand prize for each and possibly runner up prizes as well.

Is there anything that you wish that would be implemented in the ones you've watched? If so add it here.

Otherwise if you have any other suggestions they'd be greatly appreciated as well.

The offspring :-D

PSN & XBL: LOQuent

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
double elimination tourneys are generally superior to other formats
May 16th 2015
great advice! Thanks!
May 17th 2015
Have you done it? How did it go, if so?
May 28th 2015
June 3rd, busting my ass right now
May 30th 2015
      good to hear
Jun 01st 2015
Tourney's are no joke
Jun 04th 2015
Nice
Jun 05th 2015
      thanks!
Jun 06th 2015

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8046 posts
Sat May-16-15 09:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "double elimination tourneys are generally superior to other formats"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat May-16-15 09:33 PM by bearfield

the notion that someone can lose their first match and battle their way out of the loser's bracket into the finals is a very compelling one and probably creates a more competitive atmosphere. however double elim tourneys are longer than single elim and kind of a pain to keep track of, especially if you have to keep an audience aware of that information

casting is a necessity these days, even if you're not great at it. if you can, have two people casting at the same time and try to stick to the standard "play-by-play" guy and "color commentary" guy if you can. i've seen countless competitive streams marred by both casters trying to be one or both roles. if you have multiple casters that can rotate in and out, even better. no sane person will go into a small stream expecting seth killian-level commentary so just have fun with it and keep the audience engaged and aware. cover the broad strokes (overall strategy, specific matchup advantages, the importance of the match, player strengths, etc.) and don't worry about subtle technical stuff like which attacks are safe on block. assume the audience has at best a perfunctory knowledge of these games and take it from there

you could probably go to the srk forums to find some info on the logistics of setting up the tournament and maybe some advice on the technical side as well. i don't think anyone watching will be expecting AAA-quality presentation but the ability to cut to a bracket or some stats every now and then will go a long way towards making the stream look and feel professional

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Sun May-17-15 02:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "great advice! Thanks!"
In response to Reply # 1

I do have people who can professionally call the event and some top level players but didn't have the basic understanding of what I should look for in the ones we're having on the stream.

I think double elimination is dope but wonder if I could wait until some it's down to a certain amount before that kicks in, to simply save time.

I will check the SRK and I've been talking to a very well known player/host so i'll try and gleam more info out of him as well.

Is there anything that you wish that streams would have but never see?

Thanks again

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Thu May-28-15 09:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Have you done it? How did it go, if so?"
In response to Reply # 0

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Sat May-30-15 02:16 PM

4. "June 3rd, busting my ass right now"
In response to Reply # 3

it's going to be on twitch around 5pm my time (11am your time) and feel free to watch. The community is dope and I've pulled together a great team of streamers and commenters plus had some help from gootecks and a few other people.

The tourney is MK X & USFIV with over 400 dollars (it's 4000 SEK so whatever that is) per winner and we have some cool ass sponsors at this point. I'm running around typing up some loose ends but feel free to check it out and give me some feedback.

Thanks for asking

http://www.twitch.tv/wearedrkn/

hit me on twitter @LOQuent if you see something that I should check while we're live.

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 09:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "good to hear"
In response to Reply # 4

Sounds like a good event...and props for putting time and effort into the production value.

>it's going to be on twitch around 5pm my time (11am your
>time) and feel free to watch. The community is dope and I've
>pulled together a great team of streamers and commenters plus
>had some help from gootecks and a few other people.
>
>The tourney is MK X & USFIV with over 400 dollars (it's 4000
>SEK so whatever that is) per winner and we have some cool ass
>sponsors at this point. I'm running around typing up some
>loose ends but feel free to check it out and give me some
>feedback.
>
>Thanks for asking
>
>http://www.twitch.tv/wearedrkn/
>
>hit me on twitter @LOQuent if you see something that I should
>check while we're live.

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Thu Jun-04-15 10:57 PM

6. "Tourney's are no joke"
In response to Reply # 0

but everyone had a blast and we had really good final rounds

Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Fri Jun-05-15 07:30 AM

7. "Nice"
In response to Reply # 6

Saw some of the pics on FB - looked like a good event

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Sat Jun-06-15 07:02 AM

8. "thanks!"
In response to Reply # 7

here's some more pics of the event

http://www.drkn.com/events/post-drkn-launch-party/

Lobby High-Tech topic #295712 Previous topic | Next topic