Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #295242

Subject: "School me on XBMC/Kodi. Hardware, install, experiences, etc" Previous topic | Next topic
spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Fri Apr-03-15 12:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"School me on XBMC/Kodi. Hardware, install, experiences, etc"

Right now I'm happy with my current media setup. I have my WHS2011 server downstairs running Serviio which houses all my ripped media. I can access it downstairs via the PS3 and upstairs either on the Sony network bluray or the Roku3 (though the Roku may be moved elsewhere). My Chromecast is indispensable for shooting stuff from my phone or tablet (and works much better for browsing through HBO Go or Netflix than either my Fios OnDemand or the Sony player).

The idea of tapping into other streaming media sources is what mainly intrigues me about having a XBMC setup. At some point I may have to add a screen in the house somewhere that running cable may not be too practical or needed, but being able to watch a movie would be great. I'm planning on getting a Pi2 for emulators, so the current Pi I have would fit the bill for a XBMC player fine. I also briefly came across info on installing some form of XBMC on an android device. If that's the case, my old Photon may be just the trick to use that and play through my Chromecast.

That all being said, I've never bothered with it before and would love any tips, tricks and advice on getting it set up and whatever options I may not have considered.

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Kodi runs on my PC as my main media player in my man cave.
Apr 06th 2015
I use Kodi on my FireTV. It's great
Apr 06th 2015
I installed it on 2 of my Android devices
Apr 13th 2015

ne_atl
Charter member
18873 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 08:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Kodi runs on my PC as my main media player in my man cave."
In response to Reply # 0

I stream to all of my TVs using Kodi. I honestly have not one complaint but then again I probably use less than half of its features. I don't use the optional pluggins and apps. My use is striclky for watching downloaded movies and TV shows. I've been using it for at least 6 to 7 years and haven't looked for an alternative. It just works. I still have it installed on my OG Xbox.

Nabs
Charter member
11405 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 06:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I use Kodi on my FireTV. It's great"
In response to Reply # 0

I love this thing. Check out the Eminence Skin, it looks really slick on TV.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=187071

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Mon Apr-13-15 09:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I installed it on 2 of my Android devices"
In response to Reply # 0

Experience has been interesting, to say the least. It's been more frustrating than anything at first, and that's mainly because of the hardware I'm running on. Mt Nexus7 had the screen replaced, and the digitizer blows, making it hard to select anything. When I finally do get the right thing selected, it seems to work pretty well. There's a hack that casts the show to my Chromecast, which is great, but a little clunky. Running off of my Photon Q is a bit easier, as the physical keyboard is great, but the phone feels a bit underpowered to pull it off (I'l play with it some more this week).

For giggles I may just install it on the Pi I've got to see how it runs off that. Would I get a FireTV or other streaming box to run it? Maybe. Build a HTPC for the basement? Not sure.

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Lobby High-Tech topic #295242 Previous topic | Next topic