Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #294863

Subject: "Don't throw them plastic instruments out yet... Rock Band is back" Previous topic | Next topic
Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 04:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Don't throw them plastic instruments out yet... Rock Band is back"

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/05/rock-band-4-announced-for-ps4-and-xbox-one

Rock Band 4 will be released this year for Xbox One and PlayStation 4, longtime series developer Harmonix Music Systems has announced.

“When we stopped developing Rock Band 3 , clearly the market needed a break,” Harmonix Chief Creative Officer Alex Rigopulos told IGN. “But since then we’ve been paying close attention to what our community has been saying about it. There’s been this steadily growing crescendo of fans saying, ‘Hey Harmonix, what the hell? It’s time! Why haven’t you announced a new Rock Band? We’re ready for it!’”

Crucially, your purchased songs from previous Rock Band iterations will transfer to the new generation of consoles, with a few notable exceptions. First, as your purchases are tied to your console account, Xbox One players will only be able to import Xbox 360 DLC, and PS4 players can only bring in PS3 DLC. However, there will be no import fee to bring your DLC into Rock Band 4.

Due to licensing restrictions, Rock Band 3’s on-disc music will also not be available in Rock Band 4, though Harmonix told IGN that it’s possible that a deal could be reached in the future for this to happen. Songs from The Beatles: Rock Band will also not be making the leap to Rock Band 4.

Meanwhile, backwards compatibility with your old plastic guitars and drums are still up in the air, as both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 utilize different wireless controller communication protocols than their predecessors. Harmonix is in active discussions with Sony and Microsoft, with the hopes of getting permission to create sold-separately adapters that would plug into your console and enable your last-gen instruments to work.

“It is a challenge, but it’s something that working actively with us on,” Rigopulos explained. “I am confident that we’ll be able to find workable solutions.” Harmonix adds that they’re getting back to the “core” Rock Band experience, and thus keyboard will not be supported (though the vocal harmonies added in The Beatles: Rock Band will be).

Furthermore, Harmonix has no intention of releasing yearly sequels that, once upon a time, helped saturate and destroy the music game market. In fact, they don’t plan to release any sequels. Rock Band 4, they say, will be a platform that they add to over the course of the console generation, adding new features as well as new music.

“Going forward, our goal is to view as more of a live service where we can gradually and incrementally append new functionality to the core experience rather than having $60 annual title updates,” Rigopulos said. “You shouldn’t expect a Rock Band 5 in 2016.”

Finally, Harmonix is offering pre-order exclusive instrument colors if you plunk down money on Rock Band 4 via their website.

Are you ready to get the band back together? Be sure to check out our list of 7 Things We Want in Rock Band 4!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I got rid of my guitar and drums a couple of years ago
Mar 05th 2015
I just want another adapter to connect my MIDI keyboard.
Mar 05th 2015
Pro instruments and keyboards aren't a part of it
Mar 06th 2015
Welp, fuck em.
Mar 06th 2015
that's really disappointing
Mar 06th 2015
      I listened to a 40 minute podcast with some of the project leads
Mar 06th 2015
           That subscription model? I'm with that shit.
Mar 10th 2015
They're gonna eliminate keys, but
Mar 10th 2015
      RE: They're gonna eliminate keys, but
Mar 10th 2015
I am so in. Still have my Logitech GH controller too. Love that thing
Mar 05th 2015
is that the big heavy joint?
Mar 10th 2015
      Yep. Whole thing is wood. Copped it a few years ago for $50
Mar 10th 2015
meh. i have REAL guitars
Mar 05th 2015
And I have real bow and arrows
Mar 06th 2015
      someone people just want to post just to poast man
Mar 06th 2015
      it's really not that deep
Mar 06th 2015
Thats cool...just praying they dont bring "DJ Hero" back
Mar 06th 2015
It was pretty fun. Killed my fingers though.
Mar 06th 2015
there's like zero chance of that.
Mar 10th 2015
Dammit, the Xbox bundle with the adapter can't be found anywhere
Oct 06th 2015
Anyone re-download their songs? This process is tedious as hell
Oct 10th 2015
How does it work?
Oct 14th 2015
      It's a tedious process for real. No way around it at the moment
Oct 14th 2015

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 06:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I got rid of my guitar and drums a couple of years ago"
In response to Reply # 0

recently my son has been asking about Guitar Hero because he saw me play it at Dave and Busters. I think im gonna try and find some used shit at Goodwill because we are going to be all over this.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 07:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I just want another adapter to connect my MIDI keyboard."
In response to Reply # 0

I've never played a plastic guitar in my life, but I killed all of RB3 on keyboards.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15302 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 09:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Pro instruments and keyboards aren't a part of it"
In response to Reply # 2

They're refocusing on the core of the game - guitar, bass, drums, vocals.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

JFrost1117
23882 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 10:43 AM

7. "Welp, fuck em."
In response to Reply # 6

osu_no_1
Member since Feb 26th 2003
9414 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 05:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "that's really disappointing"
In response to Reply # 6

I was excited when I saw this because I love the pro keys, now back to being disappointed in the way music games died

This seems like a final cash grab. At least do they have vocal harmonies?

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15302 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 05:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "I listened to a 40 minute podcast with some of the project leads"
In response to Reply # 10
Fri Mar-06-15 05:25 PM by Nodima

(here's a link if you find a lack of podcasts at some point: http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/interview-dumptruck/)

Seemed like their biggest concerns are A) getting everything from Rock Band 1 and 2 to translate over to Rock Band 4 (something about 3 is tricky licensing wise it sounds like, probably just the sheer number of songs they put out for it), including the DLC (and for PS3/360 owners to be able to transfer to the same console, PS4/One) B) making sure your old (basic) instruments (plus Pro drums) work on the new consoles and C) refining the three styles of game people play for (score-based, party-based and career-based).

Essentially it sounded like they want to take everything they learned from the past four games, roll all those lessons back to the original Rock Band with a 2,000+ song library (though it's unclear if you'll be able to get any of that stuff if you didn't already own it) while keeping the 'platform' identity of Rock Band 3 where music is always trickling out.

I've also heard rumors that it might be a subscription-based game so you don't have to buy everything individually, that you would buy the game and then pay a monthly fee for access to everything in their store similar to Spotify.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 07:38 AM

14. "That subscription model? I'm with that shit. "
In response to Reply # 11

As long as you can also buy shit.

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 07:41 AM

17. "They're gonna eliminate keys, but"
In response to Reply # 2

they really should at least let people use midi instruments still, even if they kill pro mode.

But really? Keys was some niche shit. Tons of songs didn't have it, and some of the ones that did were useless.

Playing INXS "Need You Tonight" on Pro Keys is the most hilarious shit ever. It's like two keys you use the whole time.

JFrost1117
23882 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 03:47 PM

19. "RE: They're gonna eliminate keys, but"
In response to Reply # 17

It was fun to me, because I believe I got RB3 super cheap or free, and the only thing I had to buy was that adapter and songs. Pretty low barrier of entry vs. buying the game and a room full of instruments.

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 08:41 PM

3. "I am so in. Still have my Logitech GH controller too. Love that thing"
In response to Reply # 0

Now if they get Dead Sara's 'Weatherman' I'm all over this

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 07:39 AM

15. "is that the big heavy joint?"
In response to Reply # 3

Man I want one of those

spenzalii
10982 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:31 AM

18. "Yep. Whole thing is wood. Copped it a few years ago for $50"
In response to Reply # 15

I originally got it for another project (I was going to have it wired to work on both PS3 and X360, so I can play when I head to my friend's house), but since the body is solid wood, I'd have to do too much to get it to work, so I left it as is

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.

exactopposite
Member since Aug 21st 2002
15132 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 10:57 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "meh. i have REAL guitars"
In response to Reply # 0

Paps_Smear
Member since Feb 02nd 2009
4254 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 12:04 AM

5. "And I have real bow and arrows"
In response to Reply # 4

and shoot bad guys in the neck like Laura Croft

I also blow up enemy locations on the daily

We talking games
get over yourself

=================
Official Okay-Super Villain™

I only play the games that I win at -
Gamertag: Innovator
PSN: DurtyGambino
Steam: Durty Gambino
Twitch.tv/durtygambino

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 02:14 PM

8. "someone people just want to post just to poast man"
In response to Reply # 5

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510

exactopposite
Member since Aug 21st 2002
15132 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 11:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "it's really not that deep"
In response to Reply # 5

not here that much these days. just a lil snark for old times sake

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 04:56 PM

9. "Thats cool...just praying they dont bring "DJ Hero" back"
In response to Reply # 0

That game was fun for about 35 minutes

We covered by the Blood which never loose it's power

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr

JFrost1117
23882 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 07:36 PM

12. "It was pretty fun. Killed my fingers though."
In response to Reply # 9

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 07:39 AM

16. "there's like zero chance of that. "
In response to Reply # 9

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Tue Oct-06-15 12:04 PM

20. "Dammit, the Xbox bundle with the adapter can't be found anywhere"
In response to Reply # 0

Supposedly stores will have the adapter bundle by the end of the week. ugh

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Sat Oct-10-15 03:01 PM

21. "Anyone re-download their songs? This process is tedious as hell"
In response to Reply # 0

Either that or I'be overlooked some option.

spenzalii
10982 posts
Wed Oct-14-15 08:59 PM

22. "How does it work?"
In response to Reply # 21

I can imagine I'll just have to let mine run wile at work to DL everything I had over the years

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Wed Oct-14-15 09:09 PM

23. "It's a tedious process for real. No way around it at the moment"
In response to Reply # 22

you have to go into the store and click on each dlc song you previously owned one by one and go the process of clicking it, purchasing it for free and downloading. They say right now they're working on a process to allow users to download the disc tracks from rock band 1, 2, and 3. So there's still a wait for those.

Lobby High-Tech topic #294863 Previous topic | Next topic