Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #294820

Subject: "What podcast app are you using?" Previous topic | Next topic
L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Sun Mar-01-15 02:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"What podcast app are you using?"

I'm in the middle of starting to create a podcast app and realized you bammas put me on to most of the earliest podcasts I listened so why not ask you?

My app is going to answer the lack of sharing options and add significantly better exploring options plus a few extras. I'm still on Downcast because I haven't found anything better but it's clunky and I don't feel that they're revising it fast enough with stitcher as my bench app. How are podcast apps on Android? Window phone?

I'll keep you all posted and just stated a small tumbler blog forcing on the entrepreneur's life here in Sweden.

The offspring :-D

PSN & XBL: LOQuent

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I paid for Pocket Casts
Mar 01st 2015
can you switch to list view?
Mar 01st 2015
NarrowCast (Windows 8.1)
Mar 01st 2015
I'll look that one up
Mar 01st 2015
Stitcher
Mar 02nd 2015
that's my backup and one that I try out podcasts with
Mar 03rd 2015
Overcast
Mar 03rd 2015
I just made it my main one
Mar 03rd 2015
what are the advantages over the native ios one??
Mar 03rd 2015
iOS podcast app used to be buggy as FUCK
Mar 09th 2015
      both Downcast and Overcast have the cloud sync
Mar 10th 2015
quick update
Mar 10th 2015

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Sun Mar-01-15 03:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I paid for Pocket Casts"
In response to Reply # 0

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.shiftyjelly.pocketcasts&hl=en

The only problem I have is that I control the play/ff features a lot from the notification screen or the lock screen. Sometimes when I try to resume play it starts the podcast from the beginning. Annoying.

Other than that I love it.

https://digife.com

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Sun Mar-01-15 11:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "can you switch to list view?"
In response to Reply # 1

Sharing options any good?

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Sun Mar-01-15 08:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "NarrowCast (Windows 8.1)"
In response to Reply # 0

Windows Phone 8 has a built in podcast app which is pretty good, but Win 8.1 didn't include a podcast app.

NarrowCast works well on Windows Phone 8 and Win 8/10. It searches through the 'iTunes' database and allows for syncing across devices which use NarrowCast through OneDrive. (phones, tablets, PC's)

Keep us posted on your development.

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Sun Mar-01-15 11:16 PM

4. "I'll look that one up"
In response to Reply # 2

will do on the development

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Mon Mar-02-15 03:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Stitcher"
In response to Reply # 0

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Tue Mar-03-15 01:29 AM

7. "that's my backup and one that I try out podcasts with"
In response to Reply # 5

but I think it does a horrible job of suggesting other podcasts and want to answer that with one that gives you great ways to find podcasts, rate them in different categories and share in a better way than is offered currently.

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Tue Mar-03-15 12:18 AM

6. "Overcast"
In response to Reply # 0

Does just what I want.

I was using DownCast before that

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Tue Mar-03-15 03:15 AM

8. "I just made it my main one"
In response to Reply # 6

trying out different ones to see what I think

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57006 posts
Tue Mar-03-15 01:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "what are the advantages over the native ios one??"
In response to Reply # 0

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

dotcomse
Member since Nov 09th 2005
719 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 04:28 PM

10. "iOS podcast app used to be buggy as FUCK"
In response to Reply # 9

Damn near unusable. In the past few years it seems like they've worked the bugs out. It's all I use, and I have absolutely no complaints these days. The fact that it iCloud-syncs your progress is great, because it allows you to pickup on another (Apple) device very easily.

"To go out and ruin somebody's dreams like that, it feels real good," - Oregon WR Jaison Williams

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 02:13 PM

11. "both Downcast and Overcast have the cloud sync"
In response to Reply # 10

I don't like the interface on the Apple podcast app and Overcast is killing it on show note information.

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 02:25 PM

12. "quick update"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-10-15 02:26 PM by L_O_Quent

I've had nonstop meetings with development companies about a partnership, seed investors and today a podcast app company. So far I'm leaning toward a development partnership since I'd probably be able to get something a lot sooner.

The app company.. er... well their plan is to have exclusive only podcasts in their app so we left that date knowing there most likely won't be another one. The TOTAL number of podcasts they have on their app right now is 180...

I'm already seeing the greed of people trying to figure out how to monetize podcasts in some strange ways. I hope that any forms of paywalls get crushed by the public since they can't really offer a value proposition when we've been getting AAA podcasts like Serial for free already.

Started a tumblr blog today just to have a place to start sharing podcasts. Feel free to submit if you'd like

http://verbalspent.tumblr.com

back to this damn business plan..

Lobby High-Tech topic #294820 Previous topic | Next topic