Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #294562

Subject: "Dying Light? Since it's so slow around here these days..." Previous topic | Next topic
Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Thu Feb-05-15 07:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Dying Light? Since it's so slow around here these days..."

Anyone played Dying Light? I'm curious if it's better than Dead Rising 3. I'd cop if it was. I enjoyed the hell out of Dead Rising. The reviews appear to be up and down.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
dead rising 3 was terrible
Feb 05th 2015
you didn't like it? I had fun
Feb 05th 2015
they doubled down on the combo weapons and combat
Feb 05th 2015
      ahh. yeah 3 was my introduction
Feb 05th 2015
           to be completely honest i enjoyed it for a number of hours
Feb 05th 2015
LOL
Feb 05th 2015
it looks hella weak.
Feb 06th 2015

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8049 posts
Thu Feb-05-15 08:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "dead rising 3 was terrible"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Feb-05-15 08:29 PM by bearfield

i felt like i was playing canadian dynasty warriors instead of a dead rising game. what a piece of garbage

dying light looks good. the devs seem to have iterated on most of the things made dead island great and removed what made dead island terrible. however i think dying light is getting the same kind of "there are zero new games out now so this one is good by default" love that dead island got. i imagine that dying light will be nearly forgotten come the end of 2015

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Thu Feb-05-15 09:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "you didn't like it? I had fun"
In response to Reply # 1

My biggest gripe was the map tho. It was horrible. Too hard to navigate. But other than that I had fun with it and I had never played a Dead Rising seriously till that point.

bearfield
8049 posts
Thu Feb-05-15 09:57 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "they doubled down on the combo weapons and combat"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu Feb-05-15 10:03 PM by bearfield

and all but removed the schedule mechanic and interesting characters/psychopaths of DR 1 and 2

dead rising was largely about imparting tension and anxiety onto the player via the ease with which the player could die (with permadeath, no less) and miss critical objectives. that was interesting. it forced careful and methodical play. however it didn't necessarily punish not playing carefully because of the ability to carry over levels from run to run. in addition the player could finish the game after missing critical story objectives, or ignore the story entirely and focus on rescuing survivors. it was also full of insane (literally) characters and bosses. it was simultaneously extremely serious and very goofy, not unlike a kojima game. it was (and still is) a very unique experience

2 kept almost all of the aspects of the first game, added a novel weapon crafting system, and expanded the scope of the game world. it also fixed many of the problems with the first game. it was a pretty good sequel

3 is built entirely around the weapon crafting. i feel like the devs got carried away with their ability to put a bunch of zombies on screen and forgot about what made a dead rising game good. maybe this is the game they wanted to make in the first place. who can say? 3 streamlined all the interesting things out of dead rising in the service of making the experience appeal to more people. what's left is a boring western take on the musou genre; all the player does is slog through thousands of zombies from checkpoint to checkpoint using easily created/found super weapons, occasionally stopping to complete an objective by talking to someone

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Thu Feb-05-15 10:05 PM

5. "ahh. yeah 3 was my introduction"
In response to Reply # 4

the weapon thing is over the top and the silliness was like wtf at times but I guess I just enjoyed the atmosphere of a zillion zombies around lol. I had never seen that before.

bearfield
8049 posts
Thu Feb-05-15 10:25 PM

6. "to be completely honest i enjoyed it for a number of hours"
In response to Reply # 5

5 hours, according to steam. then i got to the downtown area and became so bored with the experience that i immediately uninstalled it

>the weapon thing is over the top and the silliness was like
>wtf at times but I guess I just enjoyed the atmosphere of a
>zillion zombies around lol. I had never seen that before.

i agree. that stuff is really impressive, especially at night. and the city itself is interesting since there are so many stores and houses you can enter. it's a good looking game and they almost perfectly execute the feeling of being swarmed by an endless number of zombies

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Thu Feb-05-15 09:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 1

>i felt like i was playing canadian dynasty warriors

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 03:29 AM

7. "it looks hella weak."
In response to Reply # 0

i mean, it looks like Dead Island in a favela with more agility.

and from what I can tell from reviews it's exactly that.

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

Lobby High-Tech topic #294562 Previous topic | Next topic