Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #294390

Subject: "Anybody replace a LCD screen on a phone or tablet before?" Previous topic | Next topic
spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 12:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Anybody replace a LCD screen on a phone or tablet before?"

The screen on my /13 Nexus 7 had cracked a little while ago (not sure how). While I picked up another tablet on sale to replace it (Lenovo Tab S8-50) I wanted to get the screen fixed on the Nexus, as I still like the size and the updates (I had just downloaded 5.0 before the break). So I ordered a LCD and digitizer on Ebay.

Getting the tablet apart wasn't too bad. Separating the glass from the frame was more of a challenge, but nothing patience and heat couldn't fix (I couldn't find my heat gun, so I ended up using my daughter's pink hairdryer instead. Not a great look, but whatever). All seems to be working well, but I'll see over the next few days

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I've replaced the USB port on my Nexus
Jan 22nd 2015
Hasn't been too bad so far. Then again, it's only been a few days
Jan 22nd 2015
      RE: Hasn't been too bad so far. Then again, it's only been a few days
Jan 23rd 2015
           They are cheap
Jan 23rd 2015
           That's the board for the OG Nexus 7. I have the 2nd Gen.
Jan 24th 2015
I tried replacing the screen on my iPad 2
Jan 25th 2015

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Thu Jan-22-15 01:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I've replaced the USB port on my Nexus"
In response to Reply # 0

and honestly you're wasting your time replacing the screen AND getting Lollypop. Lollypop is garbage on the Nexus 7 2013 version. Can't use more than 3 apps before it crashes. My Nexus is now a clock.

Just get a new tablet.

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

spenzalii
10982 posts
Thu Jan-22-15 04:13 PM

2. "Hasn't been too bad so far. Then again, it's only been a few days"
In response to Reply # 1

It does feel a beat slower than my Lenovo, but I suppose it should. That said, haven't noticed any crashing or multitasking issues. To be honest, I really just wanted to get some game saves off the tablet (and with the USB port not working, I had to get it powered up. Really should break out the soldering iron for that, as the USB board is more than the screen!)

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.

jetblack
44804 posts
Fri Jan-23-15 08:15 AM

3. "RE: Hasn't been too bad so far. Then again, it's only been a few days"
In response to Reply # 2

the USB board is like $7-15 on amazon.

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

jetblack
44804 posts
Fri Jan-23-15 08:18 AM

4. "They are cheap"
In response to Reply # 3

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nexus+7+usb+port+replacement&sprefix=nexus+7+usb%2Caps%2C295

And my next tablet will be an iPad.

I was given a JXD 5800. It's decent and fast but runs a custom Kitkat. It will be my traveler and it has an SD card slot.

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

spenzalii
10982 posts
Sat Jan-24-15 09:52 AM

5. "That's the board for the OG Nexus 7. I have the 2nd Gen."
In response to Reply # 3

The board for that one is closed to $70, which is why I haven't done it yet. I might be able to solder a USB port on there, but not really sure.

In the meantime, the Tab S8-50 has done me pretty well as cheap as it was. While it has 4.4.4, I have no clue how Lenovo is going to support this thing. Asus has a Memo Tab with an Intel Atom chip too, which looks like a spiritual successor for the Nexus.

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Sun Jan-25-15 06:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "I tried replacing the screen on my iPad 2"
In response to Reply # 0

everything went fine until I tried to put the screen back on. Now I'm getting phantom touches to the point where it's unusable. I'm about to eBay it.

Lobby High-Tech topic #294390 Previous topic | Next topic