Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #294207

Subject: "Netflix search tools (or why Netflix streaming sucks)" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
18942 posts
Tue Jan-06-15 12:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Netflix search tools (or why Netflix streaming sucks)"

So this weekend I watched the movie Freebie and The Bean on DVD and I'm in an Alan Arkin mood this week.

Just tried the latest trendy Netflix search tool: http://flicksurfer.com

So I search for Arkin, and throwing out the "bad" results (Adam Arkin, Bruce Larkin) I end up with only get 4 results: Glengarry Glen Ross, The Rocketeer,Grosse Pointe Blank, Stand Up Guys.

He's got 102 credits on IMDB, I'd at least expect *these* to be available (I put DVD after the title if it's on DVD and available to rent from Netflix.)

The Russians Are Coming the Russians Are Coming (DVD), Catch-22, The Seven-Per-Cent Solution , The In-Laws (DVD) , So I Married an Axe Murderer (DVD), North (DVD), The Jerky Boys, Gattaca (DVD), Santa Clause 3 (DVD), Get Smart (DVD), Marley and me (DVD), Million Dollar Arm (DVD), The Incredbiel Burt Wonderstone (DVD), Little Miss Sunshine (DVD), and ARGO (DVD)!!

And these seem like they'd be MADE for streaming: Inspector Clouseau (DVD), The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter (DVD), Freebie and The Bean.

What will it take for this content to be available? Netflix offering more money? Rights holders settling for less money? Copyright laws shortened? ???

(And I may join Netflix DVD rentals for a few months again.)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
why would you expect (insert movie here) to be on streaming?
Jan 06th 2015
^^There's the rub
Jan 06th 2015
      you're complaining about the lack of selection
Jan 06th 2015
           Finally, you GET me
Jan 06th 2015
This isn't how the average consumer uses a streaming service
Jan 06th 2015
I think I was thinking of it as a movie archive
Jan 06th 2015
      AN ARCHIVE WOULDN'T COST $8 PER MONTH
Jan 06th 2015
           I know, but they do seems to market them selves as more than Starz plus
Jan 06th 2015
                is this seriously a question?
Jan 06th 2015
Cats want every movie ever at their disposal for $7.99
Jan 06th 2015
This is why Netflix's movie selection stinks
Jan 07th 2015
I prefer to pay $50 every 6 months for uploaded.net premium
Jan 07th 2015
Explain "get everything"
Jan 07th 2015
RE: Explain "get everything"
Jan 07th 2015
I used to do a lot of downloading, now i just stream everything
Jan 11th 2015
man, I paid $10 at the movie theater and they only let me see ONE FILM!!
Jan 07th 2015
They advertised it as one movie
Jan 07th 2015
      what you want was never ever advertised
Jan 07th 2015
           last ads I seen are wall to wall Marco Polo, and I pity the fool
Jan 07th 2015
I use instantwatcher.com (probably the best)
Jan 10th 2015

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Tue Jan-06-15 02:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "why would you expect (insert movie here) to be on streaming?"
In response to Reply # 0

of all the movies ever released, they have a tiny fraction of them, and it constantly rotates.

sorry that for your $8 you didn't get the one movie you wanted out of the thousands and thousands of possibilities.

why not just go buy the movies you want to watch? (because you're being cheap)

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

handle
Charter member
18942 posts
Tue Jan-06-15 03:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "^^There's the rub"
In response to Reply # 1

>sorry that for your $8 you didn't get the one movie you wanted
>out of the thousands and thousands of possibilities.
>
>why not just go buy the movies you want to watch? (because
>you're being cheap)

First, I have Netflix streaming for free because I got a year of it with my television. So I'm cheaper than you think.

Secondly I wanted to watch films starring (or co-starring) Alan Arkin. Of the 30 or so major pictures I looked for only 4 we're available. This isn't some obscure cult figure, or a list of obscure movies, it's very middle of the road fair.

I ask because of the mind share and market share that Netflix has.

I think the streaming selection is very bad, and my anecdotal search brought that more to light.

Other examples:
Alfred Hitchcock (2 titles - but 1 is TV, the other public domain)
Woody Allen (4 - and one is ANTZ)
Steven Spielberg (2 - and one is Hook)
Martin Scorsese (2)
Stanley Kubrick (0)
Mel Brooks (2)
Akira Kurosawa (1)
Wes Anderson (0)
Billy Wilder (3)

Tom Hanks (5)
Johnny Depp (3 titles)
George Clooney (4 titles)
Denzel Washington (6)
Will Smith (2)

Netflix's market cap is 19.74 BILLION today, I'm ASSUMING it's because people see potential of offering more programming to more people. (Or I guess the market wants them to offer 1 program that cost an infinite amount of money to every person on earth.)

The "It's only $8 dollars" is really what is irking me. First, the current selection isn't worth 8 dollars to me (I don't pay) but is it objectively worth $8 to others? Or is $8 just a low enough figure that people think "Hey, a burger and fries cot $8 bucks, I might see a couple of good shows for this price so it's worth it."

If they made it $20 would they be able to increase their offerings? Or would they lose customers because customers might weight the money vs. the selection more? Or would the studios just raise their asking price? Could $55 a month (which is near what cable cost) get them at a level playing field with cable?

I honestly think that Netflix makes their search interface so under-featured to hide the number of titles available and focus more on recommending what is available even it's a documentary on people who take pictures of door knobs in Brooklyn.

I don't know what's going to happened here, but I'm geniunely curious as to what the future direction for them might be.

(And I'm genuinely convinced that their current streaming movie offerings stink.)

And I'm eagerly awaiting my copy of Burt Reynold's Sharkey's Machine blu-ray to arrive in the mail. It cost 3 months worth of Netflix.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Tue Jan-06-15 06:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "you're complaining about the lack of selection"
In response to Reply # 2

on a service that you don't pay for.

reread those lines.

your free service isn't giving you enough.

If you want to pick the movies, netflix isn't for you.

OMG YOU FOUND OUT THAT NETFLIX SUCKS BECAUSE IT DOESN'T HAVE THE MOVIES YOU DECIDED IT SHOULD HAVE.

find me the ad where it says "home of great alan arkin movies" and we can talk

you must be tons of fun at a potluck dinner.

WHAT??? NO FOIE GRAS???? YOU HAVE TO HAVE FOIE GRAS

handle
Charter member
18942 posts
Tue Jan-06-15 07:42 PM

5. "Finally, you GET me"
In response to Reply # 3

When's the potluck?

TomWaitsInOkkervil
Member since Feb 07th 2009
1229 posts
Tue Jan-06-15 07:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "This isn't how the average consumer uses a streaming service"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-06-15 07:22 PM by TomWaitsInOkkervil

Most people want a good TV show they can binge-watch or a decent movie they can throw on, they're not looking for a movie archive. If there are complaints about the selection, it'd probably be about not enough big newer (last couple years) movies being available, not something from decades ago.

And they want that at a sweet-spot price that basically feels like pocket-change.

I certainly understand where you're coming from, because I still have a Netflix DVD account to satisfy my film nerd needs (and even there I sometimes come up short), but I also realize that Netflix isn't gonna target what is in reality a minuscule segment of consumers.

They're gonna continue to expand their library and try to rotate in the best crop of movies they can, but they're playing a balancing game between that and keeping prices low.

At the same time they're getting push back from other companies in the entertainment industry that are threatened by their business model.

handle
Charter member
18942 posts
Tue Jan-06-15 08:19 PM

6. "I think I was thinking of it as a movie archive"
In response to Reply # 4

Like a streaming version of blockbuster.

But it's not that - it's basically a Starz-type channel, but on the Internet.

Sure they have some "back catalog" but it's pretty shallow - more than HBO but much less that Netflix DVDs.

And it's using half of the internet bandwidth in the US at night and is worth $20 billion.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Tue Jan-06-15 09:55 PM

8. "AN ARCHIVE WOULDN'T COST $8 PER MONTH"
In response to Reply # 6

handle
Charter member
18942 posts
Tue Jan-06-15 10:57 PM

9. "I know, but they do seems to market them selves as more than Starz plus"
In response to Reply # 8
Tue Jan-06-15 11:00 PM by handle

The DVD service was much more like that - and it cost more too. I was think they were much closer to what that had available for DVD. I think they're marketing that way too.

Amazon and Netflix and Hulu are closer than I expected. And closer than marketed.

So what would the cost be for an archive closer to Netflix DVD selection? And could they make it hit a price point where people would be interested.

And if it was possible could the Internet as it is currently handle the traffic?

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Tue Jan-06-15 11:53 PM

10. "is this seriously a question?"
In response to Reply # 9

How much would it cost for Netflix to just be able to offer its subscribers unlimited access to the vast majority of whatever it is that you think is good, all the time?

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Tue Jan-06-15 09:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Cats want every movie ever at their disposal for $7.99"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-06-15 09:07 PM by TheRealBillyOcean

"it's 4 in the morning and I'm trying to watch Garbage a Pail Kids the movie!"

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 09:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "This is why Netflix's movie selection stinks"
In response to Reply # 0

Their original content offerings are looking more and more like a full blown network:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2015/01/06/netflix-2015-lineup/21308665/

"If 2013 was a "toe in the water" and 2014 was a development year, 2015 "brings us about halfway to our hopes and plans of what kind of projects are feasible," says Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos, who will detail these plans to TV critics Wednesday. "We can successfully support about 20 original scripted series every year, with a new series or a new season every two to three weeks, and still maintain a level of quality we expect."

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 10:21 AM

12. "I prefer to pay $50 every 6 months for uploaded.net premium"
In response to Reply # 0

have a gang of external hard drives on hand and get errythang than deal with netflix, hulu, or any of them $8/$10 services.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36963 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:25 PM

13. "Explain "get everything""
In response to Reply # 12

How does one go about doing that? Ha.

https://digife.com

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 03:24 PM

14. "RE: Explain "get everything""
In response to Reply # 13

tehparadox.com. Like an okayplayer forum of media posting. Changed my life lol.

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5495 posts
Sun Jan-11-15 12:16 AM

20. "I used to do a lot of downloading, now i just stream everything"
In response to Reply # 12

via XMBC plug ins. cancelled my Netflix over a year ago. did the free month trial again this month and I think i've gone there once, gonna cancel after the trial period.

--sig--
n/a

celery77
Member since Aug 04th 2005
25307 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 06:02 PM

15. "man, I paid $10 at the movie theater and they only let me see ONE FILM!!"
In response to Reply # 0

the fuck is that about?

HOPE!
https://vine.co/v/i7JjIBL3Qix
https://vine.co/v/i7JtqEFwxDu

handle
Charter member
18942 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 07:13 PM

16. "They advertised it as one movie"
In response to Reply # 15

>the fuck is that about?

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 07:44 PM

17. "what you want was never ever advertised"
In response to Reply # 16

only imagined

celery77
Member since Aug 04th 2005
25307 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 07:53 PM

18. "last ads I seen are wall to wall Marco Polo, and I pity the fool"
In response to Reply # 17

that signed up for that shit

Good news is all the Arrow seasons are on there (and a bunch of Bob's Burgers, and Parks and Rec, and Archer, etc.), so that pretty much makes up for it.

HOPE!
https://vine.co/v/i7JjIBL3Qix
https://vine.co/v/i7JtqEFwxDu

jswerve386
Member since Jun 25th 2007
8979 posts
Sat Jan-10-15 12:39 PM

19. "I use instantwatcher.com (probably the best)"
In response to Reply # 0

This flicksurfer aint bad at all though.

yupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyupyup

Lobby High-Tech topic #294207 Previous topic | Next topic