Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #294116

Subject: "Build a gaming pc or cop one of them Alienware Alphas??" Previous topic | Next topic
Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 02:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Build a gaming pc or cop one of them Alienware Alphas??"

Very curious. Need help. I know relatively little about seriously building a gaming pc but have always wanted to do it just to be able to play the best PC games in all their glory. Would it be easier/cheaper to just cop the Alpha i7 model or would that still not be top of the line enough to play the most resource intensive using PC game out there at its best settings?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I don't know much about the Alpha
Dec 29th 2014
Build!
Dec 29th 2014
cool. if I could stay under a grand that would be dope
Dec 29th 2014
      Keep an eye out for upcoming "benchmark" games...
Dec 29th 2014
      thats very doable
Dec 29th 2014
      If you're trying to blow yourself away
Dec 29th 2014
           good info fellas. I might wait till my spring bonus then
Dec 30th 2014
                I kinda know your style a little...
Dec 30th 2014
                     yep lol
Dec 30th 2014
                          Here are the specs for Witcher 3...
Jan 07th 2015
                               its the cpu specs that are kinda crazy
Jan 08th 2015
build. it's generally cheaper, more flexible, and upgradeable
Dec 29th 2014
Alienware Alpha overpriced as hell
Dec 29th 2014
Roll Your Own
Dec 30th 2014
I built last year around this time and I couldn't be happier. I spent
Dec 30th 2014
why the 760w psu?
Dec 30th 2014
One of the things i read alot was to not cheap out on the PSU
Dec 31st 2014
      i think what they meant by 'don't cheap out'
Dec 31st 2014
Nice. Looks a lot like the Ivy Bridge setup I did almost 2 years ago
Jan 01st 2015
Can you build something as sleek as an Alpha with off the shelf parts?
Jan 08th 2015
maybe not quite as sleek
Jan 08th 2015
      good looking out. that case looks DVRish, which works
Jan 09th 2015
           that's definitely doable
Jan 09th 2015
                dope. and great advice here:
Jan 09th 2015
                and don't forget to turn in the rebates!
Jan 09th 2015
                you give a bored man so many ideas
Jan 09th 2015

crow
Member since Feb 23rd 2005
4034 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 02:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I don't know much about the Alpha"
In response to Reply # 0

But generally, I will suggest building a PC. First off, it lets you know how to put it together, where things are, and that is a valuable skill.

Also, you can upgrade and customize as needed. For under a grand you can make a rig that will handle just about anything well.

*Note to self: Add Sig*

Paps_Smear
Member since Feb 02nd 2009
4254 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 03:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Build!"
In response to Reply # 0

I honestly think building now is way more easier. You could jump into it yourself and just follow along carefully making sure not to miss any steps. Or if you know someone who does it invite them over for some beer and helping you put everything together.

There may be places nearby that will build it for you assuming you buy all the parts yourself. But even then they can charge you whatever so honestly its best just doing it yourself.

Later I'll try to send you a link of a great site I found for first time builders.

How much are you willing to spend on everything?

Be warned once you go down this rabbit hole there is no turning back. You'll be blown away.

=================
Official Okay-Super Villain™

I only play the games that I win at -
Gamertag: Innovator
PSN: DurtyGambino
Steam: Durty Gambino
Twitch.tv/durtygambino

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 03:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "cool. if I could stay under a grand that would be dope"
In response to Reply # 2

I want to run games at their best if I can.

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 04:16 PM

4. "Keep an eye out for upcoming "benchmark" games..."
In response to Reply # 3
Mon Dec-29-14 04:25 PM by wallysmith

then aim for their high-end specs. It's typically games like Crysis, Far Cry, Battlefield, etc that set the bar for the next tier.

Off the top of my head, for upcoming releases I'm guessing Witcher 3 or Evolve might be the new benchmark games...

Also great subreddit and guide as well:

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc
http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/beginnersguide

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 05:17 PM

6. "thats very doable"
In response to Reply # 3

just know what you wanna play

i was able to get a sub $250 card because i knew the games i tend to play aren't demanding. but you can do a $700-800 build that will damn near max out.

Paps_Smear
4254 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 09:17 PM

8. "If you're trying to blow yourself away"
In response to Reply # 3

You're gonna spend more than a grand

You COULD go cheaper but honestly if you want to run the next wave of AAA titles on ultra the GPU itself is gonna run close to half of that.

I'm not really into the cheap builds because I don't want to upgrade for awhile. Much rather spend it now.

=================

Twitch.tv/durtygambino

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Tue Dec-30-14 12:37 PM

10. "good info fellas. I might wait till my spring bonus then"
In response to Reply # 8

and get my bro in law to help me build. I want to make 2015 the year I finally get serious into some PC gaming and 4K. Looks like I got some work to do.

Paps_Smear
4254 posts
Tue Dec-30-14 01:20 PM

11. "I kinda know your style a little..."
In response to Reply # 10

As far as what you like to play and how you like your games to look. That'll be a good look waiting for a bonus so you can spend it on what you want instead of settling for something that's not going to visually please you.

At this point I only cop for my xb1 if its something I'll be playing with friends that really don't PC game that much. Everything else I'll pick up on PC normally cheaper than consoles and way better looking. It helps that you can just plug and play your Xbox controller and it instantly switches all the button commands to match that of the console version.

I'm probably going to be doing another build soon myself. Keep us posted on the components you're thinking about picking up.

=================

Twitch.tv/durtygambino

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Tue Dec-30-14 04:46 PM

12. "yep lol"
In response to Reply # 11

After gaming so long I either want something to wow me or have fun moments running with friends online. After hearing y'all and then my brother in law tell me the same, I'm gonna wait and do it right. Right now I gotta admit I'm enjoying the X1 more and more as it is. I think a killer PC setup to go with it will be all I need for the next few years.

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 01:33 PM

18. "Here are the specs for Witcher 3..."
In response to Reply # 12

Not the best with specs myself, but someone with more knowledge could chime in if they're actually high:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/7/7508059/the-witcher-3-system-requirements-pc

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt developer CD Projekt Red revealed the system requirements for the open-world game's Windows PC version today, and as you might have expected, they're not for the faint of heart.

Your gaming rig will need to be running 64-bit Windows 7 or later, with DirectX 11 and at least 40 GB of hard drive space. That's not so bad. But check out the rest of the specifications below:

Minimum
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3 GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 940
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 or AMD Radeon HD 7870
RAM: 6 GB
DirectX 11
HDD Space: 40 GB

Recommended
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4 GHz or AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 or AMD Radeon R9 290
RAM: 8 GB
DirectX 11
HDD Space: 40 GB

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is set to be available May 19 on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. A month ago, CD Projekt Red pushed the release back by three months to that date to ensure the game didn't have major bugs at launch; the studio had previously announced plans to release Wild Hunt in February. You can watch its opening cinematic below.

Paps_Smear
4254 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 10:50 AM

19. "its the cpu specs that are kinda crazy"
In response to Reply # 18

The GPU expectations for this game isn't that bad. Honestly if you want to do current gen games on higher settings you should at least be trying the nvida 700 series and up and the AMD equivalent.

Those CPU requirements though are where a lot of people may have to start making upgrades if they haven't already.

You'd be fine with most custom builds, but then again if you're like me and want to play it above recommended specs to really blow yourself away you're looking at spending more money.

That's the downside of PC gaming.
Way more pluses than minuses though.

=================

Twitch.tv/durtygambino

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8050 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 04:37 PM

5. "build. it's generally cheaper, more flexible, and upgradeable"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-29-14 04:52 PM by bearfield

the alienware machine won't be useful in 2 years. you'll wish you could upgrade it

the machine you build yourself will relevant for as long as you keep upgrading it. you can build a solid base (good case, powerful processor, strong cooling system) and add to it when you feel like it's necessary. it will likely last longer than the console cycle, it will play thousands more games than any console could (think emulators), and games can look up to 4x better (literally running games at 8k resolution) on it

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 07:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Alienware Alpha overpriced as hell"
In response to Reply # 0

I think that started out as a steambox or it still is.

The last computer I built was a Pent 3. It only lasted 1 year before the MB crapped out on me. A friend of mine looked at it and said I did a shit job putting it together.

To make a long story short I brought a gaming desktop 5-6 years ago but it can barely run anything anymore and the MB can not take newer graphic cards.

I would like to build a new desktop but I'm gonna need it to last me 10+ years. That means getting a case and cooling sytem that is built to last. You also need to think longterm in regards to the Motherboard.

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Tue Dec-30-14 01:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Roll Your Own"
In response to Reply # 0

The one thing the Alpha has going for it is the small form factor case. That's about it. You could definitely build a more potent one yourself for under a grand.

The idea of a console sized gaming PC or an actual Steam Machine sounds nice, until I realize running a HDMI cable to my plasma does the exact same thing

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5495 posts
Tue Dec-30-14 07:17 PM

13. "I built last year around this time and I couldn't be happier. I spent"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Dec-30-14 07:19 PM by Playa_Politician

just under $1,400 not including monitor/keyboard/mouse. I used old ones first then i upgraded throughout the year.

here's my build from last year. according to PCParPicker the same build should run about under $1k now. maybe this will help give you an idea what to look for

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jr49/saved/vT348d

i would definitely get the GTX970 if i was building today instead of the 770 i have, it came out earlier this year. also the motherboard i chose was a little on the expensive side. i've seen a lot of builds using cheaper parts getting just as good results. I read alot of posts on reddit's /r/buildapc sub, helped me a lot in seeing what other folks were building and at what price ranges.

--sig--
n/a

hardware
42304 posts
Tue Dec-30-14 07:21 PM

14. "why the 760w psu?"
In response to Reply # 13

Playa_Politician
5495 posts
Wed Dec-31-14 01:29 AM

15. "One of the things i read alot was to not cheap out on the PSU"
In response to Reply # 14

it's kind of future proof (assuming it doesn't break down) for when i either upgrade or just build a new machine. for a while i was thinking of using two 770's in SLI, in the next year or so if they drop price i might still do that.

I highly doubt i need a PSU with that wattage, i read the reviews and had the extra $ to burn at the time so i bit the bullet.

--sig--
n/a

hardware
42304 posts
Wed Dec-31-14 07:22 AM

16. "i think what they meant by 'don't cheap out'"
In response to Reply # 15

was don't buy a $30 500w PSU over a $80 500w PSU

also, SLI is kinda bogus. you're better off with just one powerful GPU

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Thu Jan-01-15 12:13 AM

17. "Nice. Looks a lot like the Ivy Bridge setup I did almost 2 years ago"
In response to Reply # 13

Used the R4 (love this case), Samsung SSD (once you go SSD you can't go back), i3570K. Memory was cheaper so I put in 16GB. While I only have a 600w PSU, I did get a 80 Gold rated Seasonic X series, so I think I should be good

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 01:55 PM

20. "Can you build something as sleek as an Alpha with off the shelf parts?"
In response to Reply # 0

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

bearfield
8050 posts
Thu Jan-08-15 02:42 PM

21. "maybe not quite as sleek"
In response to Reply # 20
Thu Jan-08-15 02:50 PM by bearfield

but micro motherboards and low profile cases are available. here's a build i quickly threw together for ~$530 that has a much better processor and double the RAM of the $550 alpha: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xdGvvK

and that's me just skimming through the options. you could probably get that down to ~$475 by taking your time + waiting for sales and/or rebates

however you still have to build it. it's small compared to regular pc towers but not as small as the alpha. the alienware stuff is overpriced but maybe the convenience and form factor is worth it for some people

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Fri Jan-09-15 03:55 PM

22. "good looking out. that case looks DVRish, which works"
In response to Reply # 21

i wanna build something that bests a PS4 without breaking the $800 mark if that's possible.

-30-

bearfield
8050 posts
Fri Jan-09-15 04:49 PM

23. "that's definitely doable"
In response to Reply # 22

$800 will probably get you:

~3.0 ghz quad-core processor
8 GB ram
2 GB video card
120-250 GB SSD for the OS and a handful of games
~1 TB storage for your other games

this setup requires some fairly frequent and mildly annoying transfers between drives when you want to switch games, especially with many newer big budget games being 40+ GB installs. you can always opt for a non-ssd system or a very small OS-only SSD drive. if you go the non-ssd route you could probably get a 3 GB card (though maybe not in a case that small) and upgrade your hard drives at some point in the future

the best way to purchase a self-built PC is to pick your build and then wait patiently for discounts. nearly every part will go on sale or get a rebate offer at some point. don't buy a part unless it's on sale or has a rebate attached to it. saving $10-$50 per part really adds up. you will likely end up paying much less for the whole thing if you buy it piecemeal over the course of 6 months rather than getting all the parts in one go

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Fri Jan-09-15 07:06 PM

24. "dope. and great advice here:"
In response to Reply # 23
Fri Jan-09-15 07:06 PM by IkeMoses

>the best way to purchase a self-built PC is to pick your build
>and then wait patiently for discounts. nearly every part will
>go on sale or get a rebate offer at some point. don't buy a
>part unless it's on sale or has a rebate attached to it.
>saving $10-$50 per part really adds up. you will likely end
>up paying much less for the whole thing if you buy it
>piecemeal over the course of 6 months rather than getting all
>the parts in one go

-30-

Playa_Politician
5495 posts
Fri Jan-09-15 07:49 PM

25. "and don't forget to turn in the rebates!"
In response to Reply # 24
Fri Jan-09-15 07:53 PM by Playa_Politician

i left about $150 in rebates on the table.

Let us know how it goes. I used reddit's sub /r/buildapc and PCPartPicker for all my resources. Tom's Hardware is also a good site.

--sig--
n/a

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Fri Jan-09-15 09:42 PM

26. "you give a bored man so many ideas"
In response to Reply # 23

My wife is gonna come home one day like WTF are all these boxes? lol

Lobby High-Tech topic #294116 Previous topic | Next topic