Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #292162

Subject: "iPod peaces out (SWIPE)" Previous topic | Next topic
howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 11:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"iPod peaces out (SWIPE)"

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-rip-the-apple-ipod-20012014-20140911-column.html

RIP: The Apple iPod, 2001-2014

Michael Hiltzik
Los Angeles Times
michael.hiltzik​@latimes.com

Quietly, even stealthily, Apple this week brought about that moment that many of its most loyal followers dreaded would happen: It killed off the iPod.

Oh, the name lives on for now, attached to a suite of weird late-generation devices -- the Shuffle, the Nano, the Touch -- but when the Apple Store came back online Tuesday after going dark for the company's new-product launch, the last vestige of its original hard-drive click-wheel iPod was no longer for sale.

Few people even noticed the absence of what the company had ultimately dubbed the iPod Classic. Fewer will lament its passing, even though it marked a revolution in portable music. There was its incredibly capacious storage of 160 gigabytes, enough to hold the entire music library of all but the most obsessive music collectors; its elegant design in almost all its incarnations over six generations (or maybe seven, depending on how you count); its class.

Over the years I've probably owned six iPods, not counting those we bought for the kids. I still have three -- an original 1-gigabyte flash-memory Shuffle, which no longer works; and an 80-gig fifth-generation model and 160-gig Classic, which do.

Over time, it must be said, Apple signaled its increasing contempt for the device that launched its reputation for first-class human-factor engineering in the consumer market. By 2010, when the iPod had gone more than a year without a capacity or design upgrade, I observed that the newly dubbed Classic was being treated as a stepchild. "It doesn't have the big screen of the iPod Touch, or the game-playing capability, or digital cameras or Wi-Fi antenna," I wrote. "All it's got is roominess, 160 gigabytes worth."

In my opinion, the iPod reached its design peak in 2003 with the third generation, a lovely device which had an unlabeled touch-only click wheel and four small action buttons -- menu, play/pause, fast-forward and rewind -- that glowed red when the backlight was activated. The device got clunkier from there, but it always had a satisfying heft in the hand that signaled both compactness and capacity.

Music collectors lamented Apple's move to less-capacious multimedia phones, pads and other units, even though Steve Jobs had pitched the original iPod as a breakthrough "that lets you put your entire music collection in your pocket and listen to it wherever you go." (See the accompanying video of his 2001 product launch.) Jobs perceived that when travelers discovered they didn't have cassettes with them that they wanted to hear on their Walkmen, they wouldn't listen to anything at all. He thought that was a shame, so he insisted that the iPod's capacity be immense.

Eventually, however, Apple's business model evolved, and the iPod evolved with it. Originally it was a repository for music its owner had acquired elsewhere, either in CD form or (usually illegally) from a file-sharing service such as Napster -- Apple didn't sell music at the time.

The balance shifted after Apple launched the iTunes music store in 2003; within a week it had sold 1 million songs. As the store branched out into videos, TV shows and movies, the iPod's capacity expanded to absorb the new content — 40 GB in 2003, 60 in 2004 (when its screen acquired the ability to display color photographs), 80 in 2005, 160 in 2007.

But device storage is now less important because content can be streamed from the Cloud. An iPhone with 16 gigs is almost as good as one with 32, because it'll be fed over data services either way. The hard-drive iPods are technological relics, and in terms of sales, they've been nowheresville for years.

Yet there's a sense in which Apple has abandoned those users who still want to carry their entire music collections with them, as Steve Jobs recognized. What do you do when you're stuck out of reach of a data stream, such as on an airplane? Deciding which few gigs of my music collection I want to download so they're available in flight is exactly the exercise I want to avoid. So on a long trip, I'll still be bringing my 160-GB Classic along, for as long as it lasts.

The iPod had such a profound impact on the way many of us listen to music that it seems to have been around forever. So it's a bit of a shock to realize that that introductory launch hosted by Jobs took place the month after 9/11.

(...)

I loved my iPods, every single one of them, and when I tell my grandchildren about the old days when a music player only played music, and had a black-and-white screen and yet was as thick as a deck of cards (or as Jobs said in 2001, as "tiny" as a deck of cards), there will be a tear in my eye. Godspeed.

Keep up to date with The Economy Hub by following @hiltzikm.
Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
their best product, ever.
Sep 15th 2014
There's an argument for THE BEST PRODUCT EVER.
Sep 15th 2014
RE: their best product, ever.
Sep 15th 2014
i loved my Classic, but i would have preferred a Touch
Sep 15th 2014
DOGG. I just had that same conversation earlier today.
Sep 15th 2014
      i actually wouldn't be that mad if they made it proprietary
Sep 15th 2014
With the iPhone refresh upping capacity to 128g, it's safe to assume
Sep 15th 2014
      I didn't think of that.
Sep 17th 2014
It had it's time.
Sep 15th 2014
Here is what I don't understand
Sep 15th 2014
I hear you, but this is how Apple sees it:
Sep 15th 2014
See I don't even buy that audiophile argument because
Sep 17th 2014
Flash memory is more expensive than HD
Sep 16th 2014
      So, SSD then?
Sep 16th 2014
still rocking with my 5th gen 80GB
Sep 16th 2014
Have you had to replace the battery yet?
Sep 16th 2014
no. I never let it fully discharge much
Sep 17th 2014
I have a "color" 60 GB. Works like a champ.
Sep 16th 2014
What killed it, was it The Zune??
Sep 16th 2014
Damn, I just choked on my coffee.
Sep 16th 2014
yeah that got me too
Sep 16th 2014
WTF is a zune?
Sep 16th 2014
The proliferation of cell phones as multimedia devices.
Sep 22nd 2014
I only use it in my car
Sep 16th 2014
I definitely miss those days. When my entire library was on my
Sep 16th 2014
my shit so old, i use a cassette adapter
Sep 16th 2014
yeah mine lives in my car.
Sep 17th 2014
Most of the time mine is in the car, hooked to the Kenwood
Sep 17th 2014
so yall all use your phones?
Sep 22nd 2014
I use both but my iPod is my road dog.
Sep 22nd 2014
i stream everything
Sep 22nd 2014
any good free stream services?
Sep 22nd 2014
      RE: any good free stream services?
Sep 22nd 2014
      Soundcloud is fucking great for music discovery...
Sep 22nd 2014
           RE: Soundcloud is fucking great for music discovery...
Sep 22nd 2014
                I can definitely see this.
Sep 22nd 2014
yup. 32gb Note3, 64 gb sd card, 128 gb usb stick, plus galaxy tab and pl...
Sep 22nd 2014
Yep. Just got the 128gb iPhone 6 so I'm looking forward to being
Sep 22nd 2014
all those are paid subscriptions though right?
Sep 22nd 2014
      RE: all those are paid subscriptions though right?
Sep 22nd 2014
      Yeah. But it's seriously worth the $9 per month to subscribe if you
Sep 22nd 2014
           being able to save stuff for offline listening is great
Sep 22nd 2014
           damn duly noted guys. my girl has spotify and i think she did the
Sep 23rd 2014
im like u...i like havin my whole library with me
Sep 30th 2014
there is nothing in the market out there to replace my 160gb ipod classi...
Sep 26th 2014
What will happen to the iPod Touch?
Sep 27th 2014
they need to kill the camera on it and just put that money
Sep 27th 2014
Yep. They need to stop treating it like an iPhone without a cellular pla...
Sep 28th 2014
      Maybe the music enthusiast stuff is what the U2 stuff is about
Sep 29th 2014
      RE: Yep. They need to stop treating it like an iPhone without a cellular...
Sep 29th 2014
           the post has touched on the bigger topics
Sep 29th 2014
I will say this, if they could get Car Play to work with the Touch
Sep 29th 2014
i still love my 5th gen. nano with a passion...still works and love my m...
Sep 30th 2014
I have 2 160GB hoping they don't die anytime soon
Sep 30th 2014

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 01:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "their best product, ever."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Sep-15-14 01:32 PM by Dr Claw

there is no single, solitary way you can explain this "evolution" as anything good.

unless data plans become cheaper (and more ubiquitous) than water, the cloud option is some bullshit.

it cheapens the music listening experience. I found myself listening more closely than I ever used to do once I got over my Luddite tendencies and got an iPod.

the iPod Touch is bullshit. it's a starter iPhone.

I hope that someone fills the void.

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 01:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "There's an argument for THE BEST PRODUCT EVER. "
In response to Reply # 1

As in, Atari, NES, the walkman, the flatscreen...

Great products change EVERYTHING about their MEDIUM

the iPOD changed EVERYTHING about music

EVERYTHING

The whole industry changed

and IT SOLD TONS of computers

I remember it was actually a post in Tech that made
me cop one...that one Canadian bol

I copped it, changed my life forever

Was a magical device

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

howisya
39983 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 01:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: their best product, ever."
In response to Reply # 1

>there is no single, solitary way you can explain this
>"evolution" as anything good.
>
>unless data plans become cheaper (and more ubiquitous) than
>water, the cloud option is some bullshit.

agreed. even if i caved, got a smartphone, and went all streaming, a lot of music i love isn't on those services.

>I hope that someone fills the void.

me, too. i'd be open to acquiring some PONO if not for the reliance on lossless, its general proprietary nature including its store, and the still small disk size (i would already need several devices just to back up my cd collection now, and that is still growing). i really dig the idea of a lossless digital music collection, it's just not there yet for me.

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 02:34 PM

5. "i loved my Classic, but i would have preferred a Touch"
In response to Reply # 1

woulda been god tier with expandable media

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 02:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "DOGG. I just had that same conversation earlier today."
In response to Reply # 5

>woulda been god tier with expandable media

of course Apple would Apple-it up and make the "media" proprietary somehow.

But I would not be mad if I could add one or more SD cards to build a storage array and control the amount of media I save.

hardware
42304 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 04:31 PM

8. "i actually wouldn't be that mad if they made it proprietary"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon Sep-15-14 04:32 PM by hardware

if it was affordable unlike sony and the vita

just being able to have a pure player with more than 16gb would be nice. with the 6 getting a 120 bump, maybe that'll do it

soulfunk
Charter member
11002 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 02:59 PM

7. "With the iPhone refresh upping capacity to 128g, it's safe to assume"
In response to Reply # 1

that the Touch is also gonna get that upgrade. A 128g touch isn't far from the 160g Classic in terms of capacity, even if you aren't streaming at all from it.

The thing I miss about my Classic is back when I could literally have my entire music collection on it. But streaming media has completely changed the definition of "entire music collection"...back then my music collection was made entirely of CDs that I had bought and stored on my iPod, plus whatever albums I bought from iTunes. But with streaming services now a good chunk of the music I listen to is stuff that I wouldn't have purchased (and in many cases even found out about) back in the iPod Classic days. You can say what you want about the Touch or an iPhone not being able to hold your entire library, but the fact that you can listen to BOTH music that was purchased and streaming music which helps you discover new artists/albums is a pretty big deal.

Regardless, the bottom line is the bottom line. People weren't buying iPod Classics because the people who would still use them already own them. The only way they would reup would be for more capacity, but at some point I'm sure it got to be too expensive for Apple to continue investing in making larger capacity HDD's in smaller form factor and still have the cost reasonable enough for anyone to want to make that purchase.

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Wed Sep-17-14 08:11 AM

24. "I didn't think of that. "
In response to Reply # 7

That's true. At 128GB Touch, the classic becomes sorta irrelevant.

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 02:23 PM

4. "It had it's time."
In response to Reply # 0

Peace.

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 08:43 PM

9. "Here is what I don't understand"
In response to Reply # 0

why can't Apple just replace the hard drive with flash memory and keep the same form factor? I would buy one of those in a heartbeat.I don't need a screen, I don't need to see videos; all I want is to be able to keep all of my music in one place.

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 09:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "I hear you, but this is how Apple sees it: "
In response to Reply # 9

Why do that when you can sell an iPod that's a gateway
to an iPhone/an iPod you can use to sell apps, which sells
other products, generates more revenue

You're an audiophile...people who love music were the first
adopters, but Apple don't give a shit about that crowd anymore

(C)Keith Murray, "

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Wed Sep-17-14 08:13 AM

25. "See I don't even buy that audiophile argument because"
In response to Reply # 10

The iPod Touch allows for more audiophile options through apps. You can control all kindsa shit that you can't with a Classic, not the least of which is DJ apps of all sorts.

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Tue Sep-16-14 10:45 AM

14. "Flash memory is more expensive than HD"
In response to Reply # 9

The iPod originally cost $399. 5GB memory 3rd gen 40GB cost $499. iPod classic 160GB came out at $349, then dropped to $249. (And 160GB hard drives are dirt cheap now.) Today's 64GB iPod Touch cost $299.

So doubling the iPod Touch memory can't compete price wise with the classic. And people bitterly complain about the $299 of the Touch cost now. (And Apple likes margins.)

You CAN buy iPod classics upgrade to 240GB or HD space, or even 240GB of SSD on ebay, example lsiting (not mine) http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-240GB-Solid-State-5th-Gen-5-5-Apple-iPod-with-2000-mAh-Battery-/131296670721?pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item1e91e43401

Or you could get a Touch and then add an external wi-fi storage unit like this one: http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/wireless/seagate-satellite/

spenzalii
10982 posts
Tue Sep-16-14 01:04 PM

19. "So, SSD then?"
In response to Reply # 14

More expensive than a HDD, but still

Though O_E is right. Much less about music lovers and more about pushing iOS and it's ecosystem, which is much less a concern with Classic users. Hell, I can't remember the last time I even fired up iTunes with my Classic (Win7 user, so anything BUT iTunes works better for me. I'm partial to MediaMonkey)

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.

osu_no_1
Member since Feb 26th 2003
9414 posts
Tue Sep-16-14 05:34 AM

11. "still rocking with my 5th gen 80GB"
In response to Reply # 0

It's full though and I am such a hoarder that I have a hard time removing stuff. I got a 32 GB microsd on my phone and working on filling that up.

The ipod has been great for my car though. I got the Alpine decks with the hookup after getting the ipod back in 06. Great upgrade, highly recommend having a car hookup.

These days I mostly just connect with Bluetooth on the phone. But I keep the iPod connected in the glove compartment. The screen is starting to go bad, but still works which is great considering how much I've used it over 8 years. It was a great buy and if it ever fails I'd go for the 160 classic.

Numba_33
Charter member
19335 posts
Tue Sep-16-14 09:03 AM

12. "Have you had to replace the battery yet?"
In response to Reply # 11

I got a 64 GB SD card for my smartphones for MP3 purposes because the battery on my 80GB iPod crapped out on me a year or two ago. I didn't want to pay the crazy fee for getting a replacement battery at the time.

osu_no_1
Member since Feb 26th 2003
9414 posts
Wed Sep-17-14 08:24 AM

26. "no. I never let it fully discharge much"
In response to Reply # 12

Like it only fully discharged 10 times at the most. The car hookup keeps it charged so the battery is still like new condition. It will hold charge for several days. If it ever went bad I might try to hack it to get a replacement, or just buy a new one depending on the cost.

jetblack
44804 posts
Tue Sep-16-14 12:37 PM

18. "I have a "color" 60 GB. Works like a champ."
In response to Reply # 11

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Tue Sep-16-14 10:24 AM

13. "What killed it, was it The Zune??"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Sep-16-14 10:46 AM by handle

Pono?
Creative Zen?
iRiver?

soulfunk
Charter member
11002 posts
Tue Sep-16-14 11:27 AM

15. "Damn, I just choked on my coffee."
In response to Reply # 13

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Tue Sep-16-14 11:30 AM

16. "yeah that got me too"
In response to Reply # 15

(C)Keith Murray, "

jetblack
44804 posts
Tue Sep-16-14 12:35 PM

17. "WTF is a zune?"

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44856 posts
Mon Sep-22-14 12:17 PM

36. "The proliferation of cell phones as multimedia devices. "

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Tue Sep-16-14 03:20 PM

20. "I only use it in my car"
In response to Reply # 0

but its works very well for like 4-5 years now. no issues with batteries. I figured it would die being in the heat/cold of a car, but it keeps on trucking. I don't even like apple, but this shit's solid.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

soulfunk
Charter member
11002 posts
Tue Sep-16-14 03:31 PM

21. "I definitely miss those days. When my entire library was on my "
In response to Reply # 20

iPod I had a cable running to the glove box for it, and controlled and charged the iPod from the receiver. I just left it in there until I got some new music that I wanted to listen to, I'd bring it in to sync. That iPod classic was a tank - made it through multiple Michigan winters, never any issues at all.

Discovering new music through streaming apps kinda killed that for me though.

hardware
42304 posts
Tue Sep-16-14 04:23 PM

22. "my shit so old, i use a cassette adapter"
In response to Reply # 21

iont leave that bitch in the car tho. lol

jetblack
44804 posts
Wed Sep-17-14 07:17 AM

23. "yeah mine lives in my car."

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

spenzalii
10982 posts
Wed Sep-17-14 09:05 PM

27. "Most of the time mine is in the car, hooked to the Kenwood"

I do have a dock in the office for it, and if I'm in the garage I'll hook it to the speakers I have in there. Doing yard work I'll take it with me too

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Mon Sep-22-14 08:56 AM

28. "so yall all use your phones?"
In response to Reply # 0

shit i'm out the loop then
cause i still use my matte black classic on the daily
NOTHING like having my entire music catalog AND multiple weeks of like 10 different podcasts in the whip or on the hip
my girl use her phone at the gym and be managing the shit out of her space
fuck all that
i'll be crossing my fingers like hell this shit last me another grip of years then

~~~~~~

jetblack
44804 posts
Mon Sep-22-14 09:21 AM

29. "I use both but my iPod is my road dog."
In response to Reply # 28

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

hardware
42304 posts
Mon Sep-22-14 09:32 AM

30. "i stream everything"

so it doesn't really factor into space
i have about 1gb of emergency music for when the connection is shitty or i'm trying to conserve battery

southphillyman
90059 posts
Mon Sep-22-14 09:51 AM

31. "any good free stream services?"
In response to Reply # 30

what do you do when you travel overseas or catch a subway?
now that i think about it my car has a HD built into the radio/navigation but i don't even know how much storage it is because it's just more intuitive (and easier) to usb the ipod and roll out

~~~~~~

hardware
42304 posts
Mon Sep-22-14 10:51 AM

32. "RE: any good free stream services?"
In response to Reply # 31

idk, i use spotify premium

>what do you do when you travel overseas or catch a subway?

i've never had to worry about either of those

>now that i think about it my car has a HD built into the
>radio/navigation but i don't even know how much storage it is
>because it's just more intuitive (and easier) to usb the ipod
>and roll out

i drive a '98 Ford Explorer. lol

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Mon Sep-22-14 11:12 AM

33. "Soundcloud is fucking great for music discovery..."
In response to Reply # 31

but it's more if you're into the indie/remix/EDM scene. None of the big label names are gonna have much (if any) content on there.

howisya
39983 posts
Mon Sep-22-14 11:20 AM

34. "RE: Soundcloud is fucking great for music discovery..."
In response to Reply # 33

>None
>of the big label names are gonna have much (if any) content on
>there.

that is changing more all of the time. i think all of the major labels and artists have a presence on there; it's actually part of why i stopped going. most of them probably look at it as more of a short-term promotional tool, so a single might be up for a few hours, days, or weeks as opposed to indefinitely. i'm not sure how good the app is on smartphones because i'm not smart.

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Mon Sep-22-14 12:22 PM

37. "I can definitely see this."
In response to Reply # 34

It looks like sponsors are also pushing certain tracks up to the top of your stream. Not the worst thing to me at least... for now.

But yeah in recent years I've moved away from a ton of big label stuff... almost all of my music listening is on Soundcloud nowadays.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44856 posts
Mon Sep-22-14 12:15 PM

35. "yup. 32gb Note3, 64 gb sd card, 128 gb usb stick, plus galaxy tab and pl..."

The tab has a 64 gb card and the player has a 32 gb card.

Absolutely no need for an apple I-anything.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

soulfunk
Charter member
11002 posts
Mon Sep-22-14 12:42 PM

38. "Yep. Just got the 128gb iPhone 6 so I'm looking forward to being "

able to not just stream, but have most of my music library on my phone. That's the thing - when you're using a combination of streaming from a service like Beats Music or Spotify and using your own purchased or downloaded music, your library doesn't need to be as large. You can just use the HD memory for the stuff that is rare, or was never released, plus major release stuff that you listen to often and will want to listen to even when you don't have wifi or a cell signal available to stream. Then use the streaming service for the rest.

128gb should be PLENTY for me using that, plus my apps, pictures, etc.

southphillyman
90059 posts
Mon Sep-22-14 03:07 PM

39. "all those are paid subscriptions though right?"
In response to Reply # 38

it's 2014 but i still steal my music on that roscoes chicken and....site
plus i have the cheapest plan on tmobile with only 1G of network data (only used 126MB so far this month), i'd probably body that with the quickness if i do streaming
this shit is tripping man

~~~~~~

hardware
42304 posts
Mon Sep-22-14 04:08 PM

40. "RE: all those are paid subscriptions though right?"
In response to Reply # 39
Mon Sep-22-14 04:09 PM by hardware

>it's 2014 but i still steal my music on that roscoes chicken
>and....site
>plus i have the cheapest plan on tmobile with only 1G of
>network data (only used 126MB so far this month), i'd probably
>body that with the quickness if i do streaming
>this shit is tripping man

you'd be surprised. i barely hit 200mb, but then again, i stream about 3hrs a month on wireless data. the rest is wi-fi so i'm probably a special case. i have noticed a slight spike when using Google Music for streaming whole library vs Spotify which barely uses any data.

soulfunk
Charter member
11002 posts
Mon Sep-22-14 04:33 PM

41. "Yeah. But it's seriously worth the $9 per month to subscribe if you"
In response to Reply # 39

are someone who is into music. Back in the day I'd spend way more than that on a few CDs, and some of them I wouldn't even like. With my subscription if I don't like something, I just take it back out of the library. Great for music discovery.

And yeah, I went through a period of using torrents and such, but IMO the $9 per month is worth more than my time downloading stuff on a computer, syncing, etc when now I can be on the go anywhere and just say hey that new xyz album dropped today, let me listen to it right now!

Data use could be an issue if you are literally streaming all the time. I was granfathered into ATT unlimited data so I'm good. But if not, all the subscription services offer a download/offline mode where you can download stuff directly to your phone or whatever device and then listen without streaming. Do the downloads when on wifi, and listen via internal storage when you can't be on wifi. You can usually set the app to ONLY stream while on on wifi also to be sure it isn't eating your mobile data plan.

hardware
42304 posts
Mon Sep-22-14 07:05 PM

42. "being able to save stuff for offline listening is great"
In response to Reply # 41

southphillyman
90059 posts
Tue Sep-23-14 09:21 AM

43. "damn duly noted guys. my girl has spotify and i think she did the "
In response to Reply # 41

wifi downloading for a road trip we had recently because she kept mentioning her "playlist" even though she was offline
i'm way out the loop on this stuff somehow, smh.
i'm going start trying to integrate my phone into my workouts/runs. now that you guys explained it a bit i probably look ridiculous running with a ipod AND 32gb smartphone in my pocket, lol

~~~~~~

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Tue Sep-30-14 05:28 PM

54. "im like u...i like havin my whole library with me"

plus i dont feel like draining my phone battery to listen to music

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Fri Sep-26-14 05:48 PM

44. "there is nothing in the market out there to replace my 160gb ipod classi..."
In response to Reply # 0

I better take better care of it.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/blackpeopleonlocalnews

Rolo_Tomasi
Member since Jan 29th 2004
1140 posts
Sat Sep-27-14 08:44 AM

45. "What will happen to the iPod Touch?"
In response to Reply # 0

Rest in peace Original iPod, you changed the game.

The iPod Touch has become neglected over the years but I really hope Apple releases a cutting edge model later this year.

Greater capacity iPhones and cancelling the original iPod could see Apple release a 128GB iPod touch.

I think a A7 processor (64 bit) and Touch ID with significant storage and a great camera would make for a very persuasive buy. You could load up with loads of apps, much of your music and take tons of photos. Plus the games can now take advantage of the Metal API.

If Apple released a 5.5in iPod Touch Plus that would be a dream device for many.

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Sat Sep-27-14 09:34 PM

46. "they need to kill the camera on it and just put that money"
In response to Reply # 45

into storage.

soulfunk
Charter member
11002 posts
Sun Sep-28-14 10:18 PM

47. "Yep. They need to stop treating it like an iPhone without a cellular pla..."
In response to Reply # 46

When the iPod Touch first came out it made sense treating it like an iPhone that wasn't a phone because there were gone of peopl out there who couldn't get iphone for whatever reason - maybe their cell service was thro a carrier who didn't offer the iPhone, or they couldn't get a contract with the required data plan, or whatever. But at this point the iPhone and other touch screen smart phones are so much more accessible, that the only real market left for the touch would be music enthusiasts who used to rock Classics but still need the large capacity. Offer it in 128 and 256gb configs, get rid of the camera, give it some other built in feature that is unique (maybe a better internal speaker?) and roll with it. But honestly that potential market is probably too small for them to invest in a device like that.

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Mon Sep-29-14 08:37 AM

48. "Maybe the music enthusiast stuff is what the U2 stuff is about"
In response to Reply # 47

They're supposedly collaborating on a new digital music format which encourages full-album consumption. Perhaps the iPod touch (and killing the classic) is part of that plan.

I wonder how that might have changed since the backlash over the U2 free album thing.

howisya
39983 posts
Mon Sep-29-14 09:21 AM

49. "RE: Yep. They need to stop treating it like an iPhone without a cellular..."
In response to Reply # 47

>But
>honestly that potential market is probably too small for them
>to invest in a device like that.

that was the general idea behind this post... unfortunately

hardware
42304 posts
Mon Sep-29-14 10:03 AM

50. "the post has touched on the bigger topics"
In response to Reply # 49

namely, streaming is gonna be the reality.

i've already converted. but i live in a world of constant internet.

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Mon Sep-29-14 11:29 AM

51. "I will say this, if they could get Car Play to work with the Touch"
In response to Reply # 45

>I think a A7 processor (64 bit) and Touch ID with significant
>storage and a great camera would make for a very persuasive
>buy. You could load up with loads of apps, much of your music
>and take tons of photos. Plus the games can now take advantage
>of the Metal API.
>
>If Apple released a 5.5in iPod Touch Plus that would be a
>dream device for many.

I might defect if the storage is right.

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Tue Sep-30-14 04:45 AM

52. "i still love my 5th gen. nano with a passion...still works and love my m..."
In response to Reply # 0

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Tue Sep-30-14 11:10 AM

53. "I have 2 160GB hoping they don't die anytime soon"
In response to Reply # 0

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Lobby High-Tech topic #292162 Previous topic | Next topic