Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #291541

Subject: "FINALLY. Xbox One getting DLNA support and will play MKV FILES" Previous topic | Next topic
Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Sat Aug-16-14 10:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"FINALLY. Xbox One getting DLNA support and will play MKV FILES"

This is the best news I've heard since this new gen got going.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/12/xbox-one-gamescom2014-new-features

Microsoft has just kicked off Gamescom 2014 by announcing a plethora of new features coming to the Xbox One -- some you may have known about, and some not. First up is a much anticipated feature: a new app will soon turn the Xbox One into a media player, letting you stream movie and audio files from a USB key or DLNA network. Microsoft's Major Nelson has promised that the console will support many more media formats than the Xbox 360 did, including new file types like MPEG2 TS, animated GIF and MKV. A preview version of the app will arrive first with USB support, while DLNA and certain file formats like MKV won't come until later. (For a list of compatible file formats, check the source, and look after the break for a demo of the new features.)

Still on the media front, Microsoft also announced some interesting TV-related features. You'll soon be able to boot directly to your TV from standby mode -- which will make it easier for non-gamers to just watch TV without a hassle. Another new feature coming is SmartGlass TV streaming: if you're in another room, you can watch shows over your home network on a SmartGlass-equipped tablet or smartphone on Windows, iOS or Android. That'll let you change channels and pause, play or rewind shows, all while still playing games on your Xbox One. The latter feature will arrive first to European countries receiving the new Xbox TV tuner by the end of the year. On a related note, regions with OneGuide will also get a mini guide that displays program information at the bottom of the screen.

For gaming, there's some new but important features, especially for chat users or social types. The new Friends section that rolled out to early access members will now come to the general preview program. To remind you, the new features let you keep up with your friends' activities at a glance, showing the games they're playing and a Gamerscore leaderboard. There will also be a brand new Snap Center where you can see messages, parties, friends and achievements in one place without leaving a game -- a feature that Xbox 360 users were sorely missing. And if you message a lot, you'll now see full conversation threads without pausing gameplay -- including full discussion histories with embedded links and game clips.

Finally, Microsoft re-iterated that it's hard at work readying the Xbox One launch for 29 new countries, up from the 26 it announced before. It said it's still on track to release the console "in the coming weeks" to countries including Japan, Russia and Switzerland.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Sony really needs to step it up on this front.
Aug 12th 2014
the payoff for being in second place
Aug 12th 2014
All I saw was MkV and I nearly hit the roof lol
Aug 13th 2014
and Games with Gold is really picking up steam
Aug 14th 2014
CRIMSON DRAGON AND STRIKE SUIT ZERO!
Aug 14th 2014
that's dope. might get me to start handbraking again.
Aug 14th 2014
Might reach back and relapse to wrapping up this raw(c)Pusha T
Aug 15th 2014
I think sony is trying to double dip ...
Aug 16th 2014
about goddamn time
Aug 16th 2014

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15308 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 09:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Sony really needs to step it up on this front."
In response to Reply # 0

PS3 Media Server was invaluable for years, and it seems like there's still little sign of a similar setup for PS4 9 months after launch.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 09:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "the payoff for being in second place"
In response to Reply # 0

microsoft is nicer w/ the software chops in general, but this "ok, we'll follow point by point the most requested features" thing?

shiiiiiit.

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/rjcc.png

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Wed Aug-13-14 10:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "All I saw was MkV and I nearly hit the roof lol"
In response to Reply # 2

I probably got 8TBs of movies in mkv but they're all funneled through my wd live box. I can't wait to run everything through my XOne. This thing is truly going to be my end all for entertainment now.

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Thu Aug-14-14 12:40 PM

4. "and Games with Gold is really picking up steam"
In response to Reply # 0

I like how they're handling this.

Right now Crimson Dragon and Strike Suit Zero for free. Metal Gear Ground Zeroes and Titanfall are 50% off. I mean I already had the games, but still. They appear to be serious with the deals now.

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Thu Aug-14-14 02:00 PM

6. "CRIMSON DRAGON AND STRIKE SUIT ZERO!"
In response to Reply # 4

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Thu Aug-14-14 02:00 PM

5. "that's dope. might get me to start handbraking again."
In response to Reply # 0

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

Brother Rabbit
Member since Oct 31st 2007
1617 posts
Fri Aug-15-14 10:30 PM

7. "Might reach back and relapse to wrapping up this raw(c)Pusha T"
In response to Reply # 5

They're bureaucrats! I don't respect them.(c)Rick Sanchez

QBoogie
Member since Jun 05th 2002
5885 posts
Sat Aug-16-14 04:19 PM

8. "I think sony is trying to double dip ..."
In response to Reply # 0

... with their sony playstation tv thing they're releasing which is like a roku/wd tv live but will let you mirror your ps4 on a tv w/o a ps4.

osu_no_1
Member since Feb 26th 2003
9414 posts
Sat Aug-16-14 10:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "about goddamn time"
In response to Reply # 0

They wouldn't have even done this if they weren't getting their asses beat. Garbage ass Xbox music and video apps begging for $. And the stupid way it works with the games so you can't listen when you play. Or you can, but you have to do the idiotic snap, which by the way doesn't work anywhere near as well as they show in the commercials. Great interface design. I was thinking the other day about how bad they messed it up and I'm still mad.

I don't hardly turn my Xbox one on anymore. I played a decent amount of titanfall when it came out, but it's been months. The most I do is zoo tycoon demo for my daughter so she can see the animals. There are a couple great games, but it's been a pretty disappointing system so far. Definitely let my gold subscription lapse. Maybe I'll get back on this fall/winter once it gets cold out, since we'll probably have to wait till thanksgiving for the updates anyway.

Lobby High-Tech topic #291541 Previous topic | Next topic