Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #288280

Subject: "Anybody setup RetroPie before?" Previous topic | Next topic
spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Wed Jan-01-14 10:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Anybody setup RetroPie before?"

I vaguely remember being a thread on running this on a RasbPi before the crash, so I can't find anything. I picked up one a while back and never had time tot futz with it, but figured to try and give it a whirl today since I'm off (and only slightly hung over). I've got zero linux experience so hoping getting everything updated won't be too bad. I do need to get another usb controller, or get the 360 controller I have working with this, as the one USB controller I have sucks balls.

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I tried to help my bud set one up...he lost patience and got rid of it
Jan 02nd 2014
I ordered one last week
Jan 02nd 2014
i may do this soon.
Jan 06th 2014
This is the first I've heard of it.
Jan 07th 2014
here's the post I made you're referring to
Jan 08th 2014
Got it going. I've been playing Mario all morning.
Jan 12th 2014
what controllers at compatible?
Jan 12th 2014
Basically any USB controller should work.
Jan 13th 2014
Reloaded mine. 360 controllers work
Jan 13th 2014
yup...
Jan 14th 2014
Just did this again with a Pi 2, and the experience is MUCH improved.
Mar 27th 2015
So is the improvement better EmulationStation, the Pi2, or both?
Mar 27th 2015
      I think the Pi 2 is necessary to emulate more modern systems.
Mar 27th 2015

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Thu Jan-02-14 03:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I tried to help my bud set one up...he lost patience and got rid of it"
In response to Reply # 0

Although he is not as computer-savvy as me. He tried running the setup before I got to his house and he bypassed the controller button mapping, and we couldn't figure out how to get back to it.

I tried reinstalling RP to get back to that screen, but I wasn't able to reinstall it. I have only mild experience at Linux, though... if you are more experienced, it probably isn't hard.

>I vaguely remember being a thread on running this on a RasbPi
>before the crash, so I can't find anything. I picked up one a
>while back and never had time tot futz with it, but figured to
>try and give it a whirl today since I'm off (and only slightly
>hung over). I've got zero linux experience so hoping getting
>everything updated won't be too bad. I do need to get another
>usb controller, or get the 360 controller I have working with
>this, as the one USB controller I have sucks balls.

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5495 posts
Thu Jan-02-14 10:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I ordered one last week"
In response to Reply # 0

hopefully it gets here soon. I don't know what i'm gonna do with it yet, either retropie or raspbmc

--sig--
n/a

Bruce Belafonte
Member since Jan 14th 2008
31999 posts
Mon Jan-06-14 02:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "i may do this soon."
In response to Reply # 0

http://youtu.be/5o37GORoKUQ

#htpw

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Tue Jan-07-14 02:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "This is the first I've heard of it. "
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-07-14 02:08 PM by stravinskian

Highly tempted. Next time I have a free day or two...

Bruce Belafonte
31999 posts
Wed Jan-08-14 03:45 PM

5. "here's the post I made you're referring to"
In response to Reply # 0

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=279722&mesg_id=279722&listing_type=search

#htpw

stravinskian
12698 posts
Sun Jan-12-14 11:17 AM

6. "Got it going. I've been playing Mario all morning."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Jan-12-14 11:17 AM by stravinskian

Really straightforward. Only major problem was setting up a controller -- turns out the current-model Logitech controllers aren't as linux-friendly as the older ones were. All I had to do was update the Kernel, though (a one-line effort, thanks to rpi-update), and now it works pretty well.

NES and Atari 2600 are working flawlessly (a few colors and sounds are a little wonky on smb3, but that could be an issue with the rom). Still intending to get around to trying some SNES and Genesis games. N64 does not work well *at all*, so I'm not optimistic about playstation or other things of that era, but maybe there are some settings I can tweak.

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5495 posts
Sun Jan-12-14 10:46 PM

7. "what controllers at compatible?"
In response to Reply # 6

is there a list? got a 360 usb controller i use for PC gaming, might use that for my Pi

--sig--
n/a

stravinskian
12698 posts
Mon Jan-13-14 09:33 AM

8. "Basically any USB controller should work."
In response to Reply # 7

Apparently the ubiquitous Logitech F310 is ironically an exception. But like I said, I got it working eventually.

One thing I've read: if you're using a *wired* controller that draws significant power over USB, then you might need a powered hub, because the pi doesn't transmit much power over USB. Again, the simple Logitech controller was fine directly in the pi, but I hear results might vary on others.

360 controllers *do* work, but I haven't tried one because I don't have any. There might be some driver business to jump through, but I'm sure you can find thousands of walkthroughs online.

spenzalii
10982 posts
Mon Jan-13-14 12:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Reloaded mine. 360 controllers work"
In response to Reply # 7

One of the setup screens will download the drivers for the 360 controller, so that's a good thing. Only thing is, the buttons are switched from the NES/SNES controllers, so unless the game you want to play can be mapped, it may take some relearning (or just use a USB controller)

SNES, NES and Genesis/MegaDrive games seem to work with little problem. I've yet to get the Amiga emulator running though, and N64 games are hit and miss at best (and those that do actually work are a slow, choppy mess). Getting ROMS on the Pi is pretty simple. My Win7 sees it on my network and I can drag and drop the ROMS to the appropriate folder

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.

Bruce Belafonte
31999 posts
Tue Jan-14-14 08:26 AM

10. "yup..."
In response to Reply # 6

this is going to be my first raspberry pi project.

#htpw

stravinskian
12698 posts
Fri Mar-27-15 12:55 PM

11. "Just did this again with a Pi 2, and the experience is MUCH improved."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-27-15 12:59 PM by stravinskian

I quickly got bored with my original retropie. As I said in another post, nothing beyond the 8-bit generation worked flawlessly for me, and nothing beyond the 16-bit generation was really playable at all.

With the Raspberry Pi 2 board, and clearly a lot of software streamlining, all that's changed.

Nes, snes, genesis games all obviously work great.
Had a few slight hiccups on n64 games, but they've basically worked fine (with a tiny bit of overclocking).
Most surprising and exciting: PS1 games now run flawlessly (at least all that I've randomly tried so far). I assume the same can be said for Saturn, but I haven't tried that.

The "emulationstation" software is radically cleaned up compared to how it looked about a year ago. It looks and feels like professional software now. Initial setup and game installation still requires some linux knowledge and command-line fun, but booting and gameplay can all be handled from a controller alone.

Also, ps3 controllers now work, over bluetooth (as long as you get a cheap USB bluetooth adapter for the pi). Button assignment was super-janky until I realized it was reading the sixaxis "tilt control" data (shows how useful that feature ever was!), a point that people repeatedly neglected to mention in online walkthroughs. But now that that's been sorted out, I can play any of these classic games on a proper controller. (Xbox controllers have worked for a while, I guess, but I don't have one to try.)

Another cool thing that was news for me: they've got ScummVM up and working. This runs a lot of the old "point and click adventure" games from LucasArts, Sierra, etc. I've been running through King's Quest 6, surprised at how nostalgic it's made me, and also at how easily impressed I was by computer graphics in the early 90s.

spenzalii
10982 posts
Fri Mar-27-15 01:47 PM

12. "So is the improvement better EmulationStation, the Pi2, or both?"
In response to Reply # 11

The Pi is cheap enough that I can head to Microcenter and pick another one up and still figure out what to do with the OG Pi. If it's just an optimized version of EmulationStation, I can fiddle with that over the weekend.

stravinskian
12698 posts
Fri Mar-27-15 02:46 PM

13. "I think the Pi 2 is necessary to emulate more modern systems."
In response to Reply # 12
Fri Mar-27-15 02:48 PM by stravinskian

As far as I know, the emulators themselves haven't really changed much in the last year (emulationstation has changed a lot, but I think that's just a loader for separate emulators, so its changes really only affect user interface).

My guess is running up to date software on an old pi will mean a better user interface, but not much cleaner gameplay.

Lobby High-Tech topic #288280 Previous topic | Next topic