Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #280791

Subject: "Local Disk (C)?" Previous topic | Next topic
xbenzive
Charter member
3183 posts
Mon Mar-04-13 02:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Local Disk (C)?"

Beginning of this year my laptop of 5 years crashed and I had to reinstall Windows XP, yes XP. Anyway, long story short, I bought a Mac and was wondering if I can recover my files from the laptop. It's a HP ProBook.

It seems like when I reinstalled XP, I saved it over my old files but I was unabled to recover them. When I checked my used space vs. my free space, I notice that my old files are somewhere in this laptop. Is it possible to recover my old files (music, documents, etc.) from the old save prior in reistalling XP?

Thanks in advance.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Buy a usb case for the harddrive
Mar 04th 2013
Actually...
Mar 04th 2013
      Did you do a clean install?
Mar 04th 2013
           You're absolutely correct.
Mar 04th 2013
                have you tried this?
Mar 04th 2013
                     Unfortunately, no 'Windows.OLD' folder.
Mar 04th 2013
I don't understand what you're saying about used/free space...
Mar 04th 2013
I don't articulate well when it comes...
Mar 04th 2013
Your best bet is to google this term "free file recovery software"
Mar 05th 2013
you can run windirstat to see where that space is being used
Mar 05th 2013

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Mar-04-13 02:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Buy a usb case for the harddrive"
In response to Reply # 0

put it in the case, connect it to a comp (mac or Pc) and take the files from there.

xbenzive
Charter member
3183 posts
Mon Mar-04-13 02:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Actually..."
In response to Reply # 1
Mon Mar-04-13 02:55 PM by xbenzive

What I meant was, I want to recover them but I can't find them in the Local Disk (C). It seems like my laptop erased all files but I when I checked my free vs. used space, there's nothing but the new files.

It's like the new installment saved over my old but can't recover them.

Sorry if I'm not clear, this never happened to me before. Thanks though.

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Mon Mar-04-13 03:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Did you do a clean install?"
In response to Reply # 2

Do you even remember how you reinstalled XP?

It really sounds like you over-wrote those files. Not to say that they are gone forever, but data recovery is extremely expensive.

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

xbenzive
Charter member
3183 posts
Mon Mar-04-13 03:18 PM

4. "You're absolutely correct."
In response to Reply # 3
Mon Mar-04-13 03:23 PM by xbenzive

I was told I can recover them but didn't know it was expensive. What I had was bulk of my music, videos, and pictures.

Indeed, I was stupid because I didn't buy a external hard drive to save those into. Thanks though. If there's another way that's inexpensive, I would love to know.

Also, I don't remember how I reinstalled XP.

Steve O Tron v2
Member since Sep 13th 2002
12906 posts
Mon Mar-04-13 03:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "have you tried this?"
In response to Reply # 4

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971760

xbenzive
Charter member
3183 posts
Mon Mar-04-13 03:44 PM

6. "Unfortunately, no 'Windows.OLD' folder."
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks though. Plus, it's XP-based.

soulfunk
Charter member
11010 posts
Mon Mar-04-13 06:39 PM

7. "I don't understand what you're saying about used/free space..."
In response to Reply # 0

Because this:

>When I checked my
>used space vs. my free space, I notice that my old files are
>somewhere in this laptop.

Doesn't seem to agree with this:

>It seems like my laptop erased all files but I when I checked my free >vs. used space, there's nothing but the new files.

If you are noticing that your used space is large enough to include all of your old files, then yeah, they are probably somewhere on the machine. If you don't see a Windows.old folder then just do a search of the C drive for one of your old files (Start in the search menu, searching local disk C folders and files for the exact name of one of your old files.)

If the used space is way too small to include your old files, then yeah, that stuff is pretty much gone for good.

xbenzive
Charter member
3183 posts
Mon Mar-04-13 09:37 PM

8. "I don't articulate well when it comes..."
In response to Reply # 7

to technology, I apologize. Anyway...

> If you are noticing that your used space is large enough to include all of your old files, then yeah, they are probably somewhere on the machine.

You're correct.

But

> If you don't see a Windows.old folder then just do a search of the C drive for one of your old files (Start in the search menu, searching local disk C folders and files for the exact name of one of your old files.)

I can't find my old files when I use the search on Start.

It's like, it's there but not. It's frustrating because I also searched in the hidden files. There's no way I can recover it too.

Thanks though.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44620 posts
Tue Mar-05-13 07:37 AM

9. "Your best bet is to google this term "free file recovery software""
In response to Reply # 0

and read the reviews of all the results and pick one and go for it.
A few years back I was able to recover some files from a friends computer that was in the same predicament as you are. She'd had some lame boyfriend of hers tweek with her machine even though he didn't know jack about computers beyond surfing the web...

Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the free software I used, but I was indeed able to recover most of her files.

oh...and check this out:
http://fab.com/hheb6r

http://fluidj.tumblr.com/
http://obamalookingcool.tumblr.com/

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5495 posts
Tue Mar-05-13 12:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "you can run windirstat to see where that space is being used"
In response to Reply # 0

and if it's available on your PC right now then you can open it from the app. this is not a recovery tool, just helps you determine where your space is going.

--sig--
n/a

Lobby High-Tech topic #280791 Previous topic | Next topic