Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #271490

Subject: "Dragon's Dogma" Previous topic | Next topic
s t a r s k y
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
2396 posts
Tue May-08-12 08:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Dragon's Dogma"

A new action RPG from Capcom, by the guy who directed DMC.
I've played the demo and i'm pretty excited about it.
I've always been interested in RPGs but never end up playing them because I'm not a an of the combat systems. Even when they are supposedly action-rpgs, the action always seems lacking. This game, I feel, does it right. The fighting feels fun and active. you can climb on big enemies, SOTC style, wich I always like. It seems like there are some spells that are pretty spectacular.

I've heard some people describe it as a mix of Dark Souls, Skyrim and Monster Hunter. But since i've played none of these I can't say the are right or wrong.

One thing I didn't like was the camera. I didn't always know where I was in a hectic fight, I saw some camera options in the menu so maybe it's fixable.

The demo was short (character creator, some pretty linear dungeon exploration and two big fights.) but enough for me to at least get it on my radar.

Some videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYToNIOIA3o

http://youtu.be/_c8krHCKHDI

http://youtu.be/qEsVmmXQqWA

(屮゚Д゚ )屮

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Dragon's Dogma
May 09th 2012
RE: Dragon's Dogma
May 09th 2012
i think these videos have sold me on the game. i'm super intrigued
May 17th 2012
played the demo. holy shit this is the 2012 d & d: shadows of mystara
May 18th 2012
RE: played the demo. holy shit this is the 2012 d & d: shadows of mysta...
May 19th 2012
this game is pretty amazing
Oct 29th 2012
COMING TO PC IN JANUARY 2016!!!
Sep 08th 2015
pc footage
Nov 26th 2015

J Fabuluz
Member since Jan 30th 2004
1004 posts
Wed May-09-12 10:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Dragon's Dogma"
In response to Reply # 0

Played the demo and LOVED it, kind of pissed that there is no co-op
cause man this could have done that easily. But yeah the combat feels great and thats what I like.

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23880 posts
Wed May-09-12 01:13 PM

2. "RE: Dragon's Dogma"
In response to Reply # 0

I wasn't really feeling the demo at all. Looking back on it, it feels like Dragon Age: Origins, in how I wasn't really feelin it either, until I was well into it.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8049 posts
Thu May-17-12 11:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "i think these videos have sold me on the game. i'm super intrigued"
In response to Reply # 0

bearfield
8049 posts
Fri May-18-12 01:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "played the demo. holy shit this is the 2012 d & d: shadows of mystara"
In response to Reply # 0

copped as soon as i get through my stack of unfinished games

J Fabuluz
Member since Jan 30th 2004
1004 posts
Sat May-19-12 02:39 AM

5. "RE: played the demo. holy shit this is the 2012 d & d: shadows of mysta..."
In response to Reply # 4

YEAH!

bearfield
8049 posts
Mon Oct-29-12 01:50 AM

6. "this game is pretty amazing"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-29-12 01:53 AM by bearfield

i'm really glad i finally got around to it

what makes it amazing is that it brings the bombast, physicality, and technicality of Devil May Cry/Bayonetta/Ninja Gaiden combat to a massive open world with myriad enemy types to do battle with. the move sets for characters are full of attack dodges, dash attacks, launchers, jugglers, ripostes, etc. i always knew that elder scrolls combat was bad but dragon's dogma puts it in a whole new light. it is simply fun to get into combat situations in this game

exploration is vital, well-rewarded, and extremely dangerous. on more than one occasion i've been just bit too far from the safe haven of a city or a fortress and had my party absolutely destroyed by: phantasmal wisps that i couldn't even hit because i didn't have enchanted weapons; a pack of wolves that was much larger than any packs i had encountered before (note: i had previously been leveling up by fighting and making short work of these same wolves. these 'night version' wolves completely tore through my entire party. it was awesome); a band of summoners that were calling forth skeletons and zombies faster than i could kill them; etc., etc. it's a nice change of pace to be severely punished for being stupid/arrogant. even venturing too far from your base can result in fighting monsters you cannot in any way handle. still, that urge is there. more often than not, i push just a little further than my party's abilities dictate. i usually end up running away (the game constantly reminds you that it's ok to run away) but sometimes i'm able to finesse my way through a fight that i shouldn't be able to win and that feels really good

this is to say nothing of the graphics (gorgeous with many flaws), the item/weapon/crafting/character development systems (all very robust and flexible), and the huge monster encounters (nothing to say about these that hasn't already been said; they are very fun and challenging). this could be my game of the year. i plan on playing dishonored and borderlands 2 before the year is over but i don't see them usurping this

it's going for about $45-$50 these days. i expect another price drop before the end of the year, but even $45 is kind of a steal. there is supposedly new dlc coming next year that adds a hard mode, a speed run mode with leaderboards, and some new quest/item/character skill content, and that should give it a longer tail. this game seems designed to be played to completion multiple times (new game+) while the player to learns and masters the systems

bearfield
8049 posts
Tue Sep-08-15 05:10 PM

7. "COMING TO PC IN JANUARY 2016!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2015/09/08/dragons-dogma-dark-arisen-coming-to-pc

"As of January 2016, the epic fantasy action-RPG Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen will be available on Windows PC for $29.99 / € 29.99 / £ 23.99, with full Steam platform support.
The PC version will feature stunningly high-res graphics and improved fidelity, as well as support for both the Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers, as well as a traditional keyboard and mouse control scheme."

yes yes yes yes yes yes YES

one of the things that held this game back from being truly great was the extreme compromise the devs had to make in order to get it to run on 360 and ps3. terrible textures, inconsistent frame rate, bad draw distance, etc. all of that stuff will presumably be better on PC. i have faith in capcom because their PC ports are generally very well done

bearfield
8049 posts
Thu Nov-26-15 03:23 PM

8. "pc footage"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Nov-26-15 03:25 PM by bearfield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqWK_ZoiYic&ab_channel=OfficialCapcomUK

LOOK AT THAT FRAME RATE

Lobby High-Tech topic #271490 Previous topic | Next topic