Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #270346

Subject: "Playstation 4 "Orbis" rumors" Previous topic | Next topic
RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Wed Mar-28-12 01:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Playstation 4 "Orbis" rumors"

The Next PlayStation is Called Orbis, Sources Say. Here are the Details.

While the official reveal of Sony's next home console could still be months away, if not longer, Kotaku has today learned some important details concerning the PlayStation 3's successor.

For one, the console's name—or at least its codename/working title—is apparently Orbis. And it's being planned for release in time for the 2013 holiday season.

The details in this story come from a reliable source who is not authorized to talk publicly about next-gen hardware but has shared correct information with us before. What they're telling us in specifics matches much of what we've heard and reported in generalities in recent weeks.

A Sony spokesperson declined to comment about these details, citing the company's policy not to comment on "rumors or speculation."
WHAT'S IN A NAME

Orbis. Say it out loud. Sounds a little like the word "four", doesn't it? Only it doesn't make the next PlayStation sound like a bad horror movie sequel.

It's also a name loaded with meaning. The word "Orbis" itself, from Latin, means circle, or ring, or even orbit. Not terribly helpful. Combine it with the name of Sony's new handheld system, though, and you have the common term Orbis Vita (or, in strict Latin, Orbis Vitae). Which means "The circle of life". Could the Vita be playing a very important role in the development and use of the next PlayStation home console? Maybe!

Such symbolism also suggests that rather than being a codename, like most companies employ when still developing a console (think NGP, or Durango), this might actually be the machine's final name. We don't know that, though, so keep an open mind about things.

CURRENT SPECS

Our main source supplied some basic specs for the console, but as the future is always in motion, bear in mind these could easily change between now and the Orbis' retail release. Still, if you'd like to know what developers are being told to plan for now, here you go.

AMD x64 CPU
AMD Southern Islands GPU

The former, that's largely something we've heard before, but the latter is interesting. That's the name given to many of AMD's 2012 roster of high-end PC cards. The PS4's GPU in particular, we're told, will be capable of displaying Orbis games at a resolution of up to 4096x2160, which is far in excess of the needs of most current HDTV sets. It'll also be capable of playing 3D games in 1080p (the PS3 could only safely manage 3D at 720p).

NEXT YEAR

Our main source tell us that "select developers" have been receiving dev kits for the new console since the beginning of this year. Revised and improved versions of these kits were sent out around GDC, while more finalised beta units will be shipped to developers towards the end of 2012.

That should hopefully give developers plenty of time to have launch games ready for the Orbis' retail release, which will be in time for the 2013 holiday season. If you can remember the PS3 launch—it's OK if you can't, it was a while ago—that too was in time for the holiday shopping season (November 2006 for Japan and North America).
SO LONG, PS3 GAMES

Remember how the PlayStation 3 swiftly dropped the ability to play PS2 games? Well, our main source tell us the Orbis won't even bother, and that Sony has no plans to offer backwards compatibility for its existing catalogue of PS3 games.

SO LONG, USED GAMES

BACK IN DECEMBER... A post left on Pastebin back in December also referred to the PlayStation 4 as Orbis, calling it a codename in the same vein as Microsoft's Durango. The system specs in that post differ significantly from what Kotaku has heard, and the lack of a hard drive by default goes against the idea of downloading full games to the system.

The Pastebin post also mentions that big name developers like EA were disappointed by an Orbis much less powerful than Microsoft's next machine, so there's a chance that it's the story of an earlier prototype that didn't make the grade. We've reached out to EA for comment.

Just like the next Xbox/Durango, we've heard from multiple sources that the Orbis will likewise have some kind of anti-used games measures built into the console. Here's how our main source says it's currently shaping up: new games for the system will be available one of two ways, either on a Blu-Ray disc or as a PSN download (yes, even full retail titles). If you buy the disc, it must be locked to a single PSN account, after which you can play the game, save the whole thing to your HDD, or peg it as "downloaded" in your account history and be free to download it at a later date.

Don't think you can simply buy the disc and stay offline, though; like many PC games these days, you'll need to have a PSN account and be online to even get the thing started.

If you then decide to trade that disc in, the pre-owned customer picking it up will be limited in what they can do. While our sources were unclear on how exactly the pre-owned customer side of things would work, it's believed used games will be limited to a trial mode or some other form of content restriction, with consumers having to pay a fee to unlock/register the full game.

This would allow used games to continue to be sold at outlets such as GameStop, while also appeasing major publishers who would no longer have to implement their own haphazard approaches to "online passes".

—-

That's all we've got for you at the moment. Remember, none of this information is confirmed, and even the information that is locked down in March 2012 may change before the console's eventual release. This is just what we've been told Sony is working on and planning for as of today. That being the case, how do you think it's shaping up?

http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-playstation-is-called-orbis-sources-say-here-are-the-details

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
LOL. If this is true Sony has problems.
Mar 28th 2012
WOW, this shit is heinous
Mar 28th 2012
Stop being such an internet troll, used game issue.
Mar 28th 2012
Meh
Mar 28th 2012
RE: Meh
Mar 28th 2012
I thought it was just me...
Apr 02nd 2012
they shouldn't see a profit off of a used game
Mar 28th 2012
      You aren't paying for the disc.
Mar 29th 2012
      Bullshit
Mar 29th 2012
           I call bullshit on your call of bullshit.
Mar 29th 2012
                I stand corrected on the Vita
Mar 29th 2012
      Why do people keep missing this?
Apr 02nd 2012
LOL! 2160p TV's won't even be out by the time the Orbis does.
Mar 28th 2012
Uh you prepare for newer tech now so
Mar 29th 2012
I weep for the youth
Mar 28th 2012
yeah. eff em.
Mar 29th 2012
Sony can take their sweet ass time with it
Mar 29th 2012
improved graphics... thats what i look for anyway..
Mar 29th 2012
I'm looking for the day where every piece in a game is interactive
Mar 29th 2012
      I want to be able to step over something in MW3...
Mar 29th 2012
      imagine a MW game like that tho. Whew. Bout to play now lol
Mar 29th 2012
      You can do that in BF3........
Mar 29th 2012
           still limits you. We talking Far Cry 2 big
Mar 30th 2012
      That game would take like 10 years to make lol
Mar 29th 2012
           thats not real life realistic either....
Mar 31st 2012
                ay in a war I should be able to kick open any door!
Mar 31st 2012
RE: Sony can take their sweet ass time with it
Mar 29th 2012
^ ^ ^This is where I'm at with it!
Mar 29th 2012
The PS3 will easily last for a decade.
Mar 29th 2012
base. WHY does another console have to come out?
Mar 30th 2012
The issue with the delay...
Mar 30th 2012
releasing a year after the 360 wasn't their problem
Mar 30th 2012
      Not the only issue, no...
Mar 30th 2012
Yeah.
Mar 30th 2012
this is the first gen I just don't see the point in a new one
Mar 30th 2012
How the hell did we go from Super Metroid, Sonic, SMB3 and Final Fantasy...
Mar 30th 2012
That's what I wanna know
Mar 30th 2012
nghs too busy trying to make movies
Mar 30th 2012
^ ^ ^Exactly what I was talkin' bout above.
Mar 30th 2012
what set this off?
Mar 30th 2012
FUCK A CUT SCENE
Mar 31st 2012
God of War, Ratchet & Clank, GTA, Mass Effect are all great franchises
Mar 30th 2012
      i don't get it either.
Mar 30th 2012
           The hoops you need to jump through nowadays
Mar 31st 2012
                yeah, and blow your lungs out
Mar 31st 2012
                     yup, I didn't play Chrono Trigger until PS1 because it was $80
Mar 31st 2012
                     these richie rich ass niggas don't know the pricetags for shit
Mar 31st 2012
                     they aint old enough to remember
Apr 01st 2012
                          Strider for Genesis $80 bucks....
Apr 01st 2012
                          RE: Strider for Genesis $80 bucks....
Apr 01st 2012
                               Sega's Turbo was over $100 but came w/steering wheel
Apr 01st 2012
                          nah, I remember
Apr 01st 2012
                               i paid 74.99 for PSII at kay bee toys
Apr 02nd 2012
                     yup. i kept it flawless and sold it for $300 a few years ago.
Apr 02nd 2012
                     Nigga please
Mar 31st 2012
                     THIS!!!
Apr 01st 2012
                     yeah.
Apr 01st 2012
                     Mike Tyson's punchout was like $50 when it came out.
Apr 01st 2012
                     uh huh. STRIDER for Sega Genesis was $80
Apr 02nd 2012
                     Right. There have always been hoops.
Apr 02nd 2012
I look forward to the 2016 release nm
Mar 31st 2012
As with everything, capitalism has to ruin gaming
Apr 01st 2012
you must not know what capitalism is
Apr 02nd 2012
      RE: you must not know what capitalism is
Apr 09th 2012
if they're going to get rid of the used game market
Apr 03rd 2012
But that's the thing...will they actually do that?
Apr 04th 2012
Xbox Live has been lowering game prices over time
Apr 05th 2012
Not the DLC though. That shit almost never goes on sale
Apr 09th 2012
And there's no reason downloaded games should cost the same
Apr 05th 2012

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Mar-28-12 03:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "LOL. If this is true Sony has problems."
In response to Reply # 0

>Remember how the PlayStation 3 swiftly dropped the ability to
>play PS2 games? Well, our main source tell us the Orbis won't
>even bother, and that Sony has no plans to offer backwards
>compatibility for its existing catalogue of PS3 games.

Ive got a sneaking suspicion Microsoft is going to do the same. It feels like all the positives we made with the PS2/Xbox1 generation are slowly getting undone.

>SO LONG, USED GAMES
>
>Just like the next Xbox/Durango, we've heard from multiple
>sources that the Orbis will likewise have some kind of
>anti-used games measures built into the console. Here's how
>our main source says it's currently shaping up: new games for
>the system will be available one of two ways, either on a
>Blu-Ray disc or as a PSN download (yes, even full retail
>titles). If you buy the disc, it must be locked to a single
>PSN account, after which you can play the game, save the whole
>thing to your HDD, or peg it as "downloaded" in your account
>history and be free to download it at a later date.
>
>Don't think you can simply buy the disc and stay offline,
>though; like many PC games these days, you'll need to have a
>PSN account and be online to even get the thing started.

Imho this should be an issue that should be settled by the publishers/developers and retail stores. Yeah, I know that Sony makes a bunch of games for their own system, but to make things like this mandatory...bad idea jeans. Also, PLENTY of people play their games offline...

Zorro-Rojo
Member since Jun 26th 2006
939 posts
Wed Mar-28-12 04:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "WOW, this shit is heinous"
In response to Reply # 1

>>Remember how the PlayStation 3 swiftly dropped the ability
>to
>>play PS2 games? Well, our main source tell us the Orbis
>won't
>>even bother, and that Sony has no plans to offer backwards
>>compatibility for its existing catalogue of PS3 games.

>>Don't think you can simply buy the disc and stay offline,
>>though; like many PC games these days, you'll need to have a
>>PSN account and be online to even get the thing started.

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23861 posts
Wed Mar-28-12 04:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Stop being such an internet troll, used game issue."
In response to Reply # 0

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Wed Mar-28-12 05:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Meh"
In response to Reply # 0

I’m honestly not mad at them for the used game issue. Between piracy and not seeing any profit on a used game, they kinda have to do something. Letting developers implement their own strategies has been a clusterfuck thus far, so it makes sense to step in.

The part that grinds my gears is the fact that it may be required to have the console always connected to the internet in order to play games. Isn’t the stat something like only 50-60% of users even bother doing this? Seems like a huge market to cut off, especially in the US where there are tons of rural places with shitty internet. Heck, even my Comcast internet in the city the company is headquartered at can suck sometimes.

I'm not too worried tho since I think this might be the last generation for me buying all the systems. I’d rather spend my money on other hobbies and video games have gotten kinda dull in the last year or so.

If Sony’s solution is stupid, I may turn to MS for the next gen. If they both suck, fuck it, I’ll invest in some more camera gear.

Lach
Charter member
44324 posts
Wed Mar-28-12 07:09 PM

5. "RE: Meh"
In response to Reply # 4

>I'm not too worried tho since I think this might be the last
>generation for me buying all the systems. I’d rather spend my
>money on other hobbies and video games have gotten kinda dull
>in the last year or so.

Dude I'm starting to get that way. I have almost every damn new release game and never play them. Only thing I play is Modern Warfare 3. I'm like what am I doing with all this shit then? It seems like I'm just slowing down and my favorite form of entertainment now is just watching movies and working with my kids and friends on their music.

ChampD1012
Member since Sep 27th 2003
8355 posts
Mon Apr-02-12 10:01 AM

58. "I thought it was just me..."
In response to Reply # 5

Still haven't touched Modern Warfare 3...

Didn't play Gears of War 3....

Street Fighter X Tekken hasn't been touch since the first weekend

My interest has been suspect as of late. Play more games on my iPad than my home consoles...

And if backwards compatability and used games are gone next gen...I will just keep what I have and use my money elsewhere...

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Wed Mar-28-12 10:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "they shouldn't see a profit off of a used game"
In response to Reply # 4

>I’m honestly not mad at them for the used game issue. Between
>piracy and not seeing any profit on a used game,

BMW didn't get a penny when I sold my 540.
Honda didn't get a penny when I sold my Civic.
Geo/(chevy suzkui) didn't see a farthing when I sold the Metro.

They got all their money when I paid them the 1st time.

one
k. orr

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 02:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "You aren't paying for the disc."
In response to Reply # 7

You're paying for the right to use their software on whatever terms they want you it.

All that stuff is in those EULAs nobody bothers to read (written, no doubt, by ballin ass lawyers like yourself.)

Still, I imagine this is more about piracy than just used software sales. They're looking to avoid another PSP situation at any cost.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 06:26 AM

10. "Bullshit"
In response to Reply # 9
Thu Mar-29-12 07:27 AM by BigReg

>All that stuff is in those EULAs nobody bothers to read
>(written, no doubt, by ballin ass lawyers like yourself.)
>
>Still, I imagine this is more about piracy than just used
>software sales. They're looking to avoid another PSP situation
>at any cost.

They already avoided it by making the vita download only; ps3's piracy never picked up and xbox eventually locks your console out of online gaming valhalla. Piracy will ALWAYS exist, but they did a good job this gen with the consoles keeping it to a minimum.

Used games have always been around, its just a way to make the consumer suffer because they are cowards. As opposed to going after the real person they have beef with, Gamestop, they would rather use US as pawns and keep rewarding them with exclusive sale incentives, lol. Those Eula were added after the fact, same with the class lawsuit one sony added.

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 12:15 PM

17. "I call bullshit on your call of bullshit."
In response to Reply # 10

>>All that stuff is in those EULAs nobody bothers to read
>>(written, no doubt, by ballin ass lawyers like yourself.)
>>
>>Still, I imagine this is more about piracy than just used
>>software sales. They're looking to avoid another PSP
>situation
>>at any cost.
>
>They already avoided it by making the vita download only;

Vita isn't download only. Just this week they already had to pull games from PSN for piracy concerns.

>ps3's piracy never picked up and xbox eventually locks your

Piracy thankfully didn't pick up on PS3, but the most pirated game on 360 last year was GoW3 with 890,000 illegal downloads last year. That's $53 million dollars that went missing. The Wii was even worse with 1.2 million Mario Galaxy downloads. You can argue that some of the people that pirated wouldn't have purchased the game if they couldn't get it for free, but at least some of them would.

>console out of online gaming valhalla. Piracy will ALWAYS
>exist, but they did a good job this gen with the consoles
>keeping it to a minimum.
>
>Used games have always been around, its just a way to make the
>consumer suffer because they are cowards. As opposed to going
>after the real person they have beef with, Gamestop, they
>would rather use US as pawns and keep rewarding them with
>exclusive sale incentives, lol. Those Eula were added after
>the fact, same with the class lawsuit one sony added.

After the fact or not if you agree to em, you agree to em (and we all do in order to play the game or use online features).

If you don't like the way they do business, don't give em your money. Really as simple as that.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 12:26 PM

18. "I stand corrected on the Vita"
In response to Reply # 17

I totally forgot it uses cartridges also.

>Piracy thankfully didn't pick up on PS3, but the most pirated
>game on 360 last year was GoW3 with 890,000 illegal downloads
>last year. That's $53 million dollars that went missing. The
>Wii was even worse with 1.2 million Mario Galaxy downloads.
>You can argue that some of the people that pirated wouldn't
>have purchased the game if they couldn't get it for free, but
>at least some of them would.

But piracy and gaming has ALWAYS existed; why is it suddenly a huge issue now? Something else has changed and it's not more sophisticated pirates since they have been a constant for decades; it's a pure ploy to get more money out of the consumer in nickle & dime fashion because they are afraid to up the MSRP for a new release.

>>console out of online gaming valhalla. Piracy will ALWAYS
>>exist, but they did a good job this gen with the consoles
>>keeping it to a minimum.
>>
>>Used games have always been around, its just a way to make
>the
>>consumer suffer because they are cowards. As opposed to
>going
>>after the real person they have beef with, Gamestop, they
>>would rather use US as pawns and keep rewarding them with
>>exclusive sale incentives, lol. Those Eula were added after
>>the fact, same with the class lawsuit one sony added.
>
>After the fact or not if you agree to em, you agree to em (and
>we all do in order to play the game or use online features).
>
>If you don't like the way they do business, don't give em your
>money. Really as simple as that.

It's problematic because they are on the only game in town. (pun intended). No one knows how the future Xbox is doing it, but rumors are they are also going to implement some kind of anti-used game tech. The whole 'Well then don't give em your money' doesn't work considering there's plenty of idiots willing to pony up and keep the sham going like the recent DLC fiascos in Mass Effect 3 and SFxTek.

Im just waiting for when you spend 80 bucks on a game, you gotta pay ten dollars a month to use the online, then they close the server down a year later cause a 'new' version is out so you can spend another 80 bucks, lol. And you can only play your videogame at home since the game is going to be locked to that IP address (can't have you taking your console out and playing with your friends cause he doesn't have a copy..PIRACY!)

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44256 posts
Mon Apr-02-12 12:00 PM

60. "Why do people keep missing this? "
In response to Reply # 7

Almost any other product can be re-sold and the original sellers make nothing from that transaction.

This is just greed.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18284 posts
Wed Mar-28-12 07:34 PM

6. "LOL! 2160p TV's won't even be out by the time the Orbis does."
In response to Reply # 0

>Our main source supplied some basic specs for the console, but
>as the future is always in motion, bear in mind these could
>easily change between now and the Orbis' retail release.
>Still, if you'd like to know what developers are being told to
>plan for now, here you go.
>
> AMD x64 CPU
> AMD Southern Islands GPU
>
> The former, that's largely something we've heard before,
>but the latter is interesting. That's the name given to many
>of AMD's 2012 roster of high-end PC cards. The PS4's GPU in
>particular, we're told, will be capable of displaying Orbis
>games at a resolution of up to 4096x2160, which is far in
>excess of the needs of most current HDTV sets. It'll also be
>capable of playing 3D games in 1080p (the PS3 could only
>safely manage 3D at 720p).
>
>NEXT YEAR
>
>Our main source tell us that "select developers" have been
>receiving dev kits for the new console since the beginning of
>this year. Revised and improved versions of these kits were
>sent out around GDC, while more finalised beta units will be
>shipped to developers towards the end of 2012.
>
>That should hopefully give developers plenty of time to have
>launch games ready for the Orbis' retail release, which will
>be in time for the 2013 holiday season. If you can remember
>the PS3 launch—it's OK if you can't, it was a while ago—that
>too was in time for the holiday shopping season (November 2006
>for Japan and North America).
>SO LONG, PS3 GAMES
>
>Remember how the PlayStation 3 swiftly dropped the ability to
>play PS2 games? Well, our main source tell us the Orbis won't
>even bother, and that Sony has no plans to offer backwards
>compatibility for its existing catalogue of PS3 games.

>SO LONG, USED GAMES
>
> BACK IN DECEMBER... A post left on Pastebin back in
>December also referred to the PlayStation 4 as Orbis, calling
>it a codename in the same vein as Microsoft's Durango. The
>system specs in that post differ significantly from what
>Kotaku has heard, and the lack of a hard drive by default goes
>against the idea of downloading full games to the system.

> The Pastebin post also mentions that big name developers
>like EA were disappointed by an Orbis much less powerful than
>Microsoft's next machine, so there's a chance that it's the
>story of an earlier prototype that didn't make the grade.
>We've reached out to EA for comment.
>
>Just like the next Xbox/Durango, we've heard from multiple
>sources that the Orbis will likewise have some kind of
>anti-used games measures built into the console. Here's how
>our main source says it's currently shaping up: new games for
>the system will be available one of two ways, either on a
>Blu-Ray disc or as a PSN download (yes, even full retail
>titles). If you buy the disc, it must be locked to a single
>PSN account, after which you can play the game, save the whole
>thing to your HDD, or peg it as "downloaded" in your account
>history and be free to download it at a later date.
>
>Don't think you can simply buy the disc and stay offline,
>though; like many PC games these days, you'll need to have a
>PSN account and be online to even get the thing started.

I guess I'll be done with video games after this generation. I'm already struggling to pay my current internet bills and now console-makers wanna make consoles that'll drive up my bills even further? SMH.

>If you then decide to trade that disc in, the pre-owned
>customer picking it up will be limited in what they can do.
>While our sources were unclear on how exactly the pre-owned
>customer side of things would work, it's believed used games
>will be limited to a trial mode or some other form of content
>restriction, with consumers having to pay a fee to
>unlock/register the full game.
>
>This would allow used games to continue to be sold at outlets
>such as GameStop, while also appeasing major publishers who
>would no longer have to implement their own haphazard
>approaches to "online passes".

Whatever. I don't do used games anyways.

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44802 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 09:17 AM

11. "Uh you prepare for newer tech now so "
In response to Reply # 6

when said tech is available you can use it.

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

cjr2221
Member since Sep 04th 2011
1790 posts
Wed Mar-28-12 11:54 PM

8. "I weep for the youth"
In response to Reply # 0

especially if in the future being connected to the internet will be a requirement for gaming........

There's still a shit load of people who don't have access to internet like that, and they're just SOL, I guess.

jetblack
44802 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 09:18 AM

12. "yeah. eff em."
In response to Reply # 8

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

topaz
Member since Nov 28th 2002
6236 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 09:39 AM

13. "Sony can take their sweet ass time with it"
In response to Reply # 0

I only bought my PS3 in mid 09, and now they're gonna release another one this soon? Whatever happened to that 10 year plan for the PS3?

Speaking of next gen, how innovative can games get? We already know that motion control (as it is at the moment) doesn't appeal to the majority of gamers, so besides improved graphics, where else can developers take it? Please don't say 3D.

-
Gang Starr / Nujabes blend - https://youtu.be/lsci1vu6ick
DOOM Tribute - https://youtu.be/qmBQ2BDefKM
Donut of the Heart cover in Javascript - https://youtu.be/afLc2CkC8lk

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57002 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 10:33 AM

14. "improved graphics... thats what i look for anyway.."
In response to Reply # 13

Lach
Charter member
44324 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 12:10 PM

16. "I'm looking for the day where every piece in a game is interactive"
In response to Reply # 14

Like in an open world game, you can go into any building and explore, everything can be destroyed, etc etc.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57002 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 12:50 PM

19. "I want to be able to step over something in MW3..."
In response to Reply # 16

....maybe in the next gen console we will be able to step over that tall patch of grass that usually stops you?

Lach
Charter member
44324 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 08:57 PM

22. "imagine a MW game like that tho. Whew. Bout to play now lol"
In response to Reply # 19

Poetic_Truth
Member since Jan 16th 2008
8625 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 09:46 PM

23. "You can do that in BF3........"
In response to Reply # 19

>....maybe in the next gen console we will be able to step
>over that tall patch of grass that usually stops you?

--------------

Lach
Charter member
44324 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 08:23 AM

28. "still limits you. We talking Far Cry 2 big"
In response to Reply # 23

topaz
6236 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 06:38 PM

20. "That game would take like 10 years to make lol"
In response to Reply # 16

>Like in an open world game, you can go into any building and
>explore, everything can be destroyed, etc etc.

If the size of the world is small (I'm thinking Arkham City), it'll be doable. But something of GTA4's scope, and you want to enter every single building?? My brain hurts just thinking about it lol

Minecraft seems to be kind of what you're looking for though, you just have to build everything yourself.

-

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57002 posts
Sat Mar-31-12 11:22 AM

40. "thats not real life realistic either...."
In response to Reply # 20

...take a walk down the street ..most doors you come across are locked ..you cant just run up into any apartment building either ...i do think they can make things even more real than GTA4 though, lets see what GTA5 brings

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Lach
Charter member
44324 posts
Sat Mar-31-12 11:25 AM

41. "ay in a war I should be able to kick open any door!"
In response to Reply # 40

Yank
Charter member
24509 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 11:11 AM

15. "RE: Sony can take their sweet ass time with it"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lies run sprints.
Truths run marathons.

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 08:42 PM

21. "^ ^ ^This is where I'm at with it!"

The PS3 itself is powerful enough to hold me down for
anotha 4/5 bullets.

Hell, even at this stage in its life, developers STILL ain't tapped into the full potential of the hardware, let-alone the tragic fact that, in the current-gen milieu of lofty over-the-top cinematics, dev's are losing focus of the most important element/aspect of gaming:......GAMEPLAY!

I'd rather have Sony and current-gen dev's focus on
honing top-notch gameplay first. They gotta *master the essence of the wheel *first... before they embark upon trying to *re-invent it.

In gameplay we trust....
On some Nuevos Gameos Seclorum type shit,...
We need a New Game Order out dis bitch!

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

Kira
28833 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 11:21 PM

24. "The PS3 will easily last for a decade."

These shaders can't get no realer. Let's do the math and say it comes out Holiday 2013/spring 2014. It takes a console two to three years to build enough momentum for the average consumer to feel the value proposition justifies a purchase. That's 2015/2016 at the latest.

They made PS2 games up to three years after the PS2 launch.

I'm not copping until at least 2015 at the earliest. I better see an entirely new PSN and backwards compatability.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 12:14 AM

25. "base. WHY does another console have to come out?"

just keep pushing the boundaries of the current machine
looks like they are just reaching the potential of the PS3 .....NOW

~~~~~~

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 08:59 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
29. "The issue with the delay..."

is that they still feel the repercussions on releasing the PS3 a year after the 360 released.

The whole "10 year life cycle" tagline is both a blessing and a curse.

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 03:42 PM

32. "releasing a year after the 360 wasn't their problem"
In response to Reply # 29

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/rjcc.png

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 04:32 PM

34. "Not the only issue, no..."
In response to Reply # 32

... but the effect was tangible. If they stick too hard to the "10 year lifespan" though, then it'll just compound the issue.

jetblack
44802 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 09:47 AM

30. "Yeah."

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15294 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 02:15 AM

26. "this is the first gen I just don't see the point in a new one"
In response to Reply # 0

I mean with PS2 you had Snake Eater and shit truthfully tapping all of that system's potential

but I could play games like Red Dead Redemption or Mass Effect for a long while, I really don't need or want an upgrade. Like I'm not even excited about these rumors coming out, it doesn't feel right.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas

http://www.last.fm/user/NodimaChee
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Nodima/run_that_shit__nodimas_hip_hop_handbook

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 02:33 AM

27. "How the hell did we go from Super Metroid, Sonic, SMB3 and Final Fantasy..."
In response to Reply # 0

to this current horseshit?

<------ Boho Model Madness Presents: Andy Allo

http://www.gifsoup.com/view3/2298233/andyallo2-o.gif

http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://djshinobishaw.tumblr.com/
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c) T510

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 10:14 AM

31. "That's what I wanna know"
In response to Reply # 27

*smh*

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 03:46 PM

33. "nghs too busy trying to make movies"
Fri Mar-30-12 03:48 PM by hardware

in the old days the shit that stood out was the shit that had a personality
motherfuckers trying to be too complex

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 06:29 PM

35. "^ ^ ^Exactly what I was talkin' bout above."
In response to Reply # 33

Mofoz on that Jerry Bruckheimer shit when
all we want is a goddamn video game.

I knew shit was hittin' the fan when
dev's started gettin' invited to late nite TV shows
just to preview cinematic trailers that didn't even show any
actual gameplay. Fail.

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

will_5198
Charter member
63072 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 07:05 PM

36. "what set this off?"

Final Fantasy VII. certainly Metal Gear Solid. I suppose Half-Life inspired a generation of bad copycats.

--------

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Sat Mar-31-12 11:52 AM

43. "FUCK A CUT SCENE"

lc ceo
Member since Jan 19th 2012
1681 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 07:11 PM

37. "God of War, Ratchet & Clank, GTA, Mass Effect are all great franchises"

There's a ton of great games being made. I don't get this post.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36958 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 10:23 PM

38. "i don't get it either."
In response to Reply # 37

I'm not sure what people are looking for when they ask "what happened to just videogames?". They evolved! Gameplay is more important than ever now. You can't get by on just graphics anymore. Games are more enveloping and detailed than ever before. Games my friends used to dream about in 7th grade are here now. Plus there are so many options from games that play like movies (Metal Gear, Mass Effect, LA Noir) to joints you just pick up and play (Angry Birds).

What exactly are people looking for?

https://digife.com

topaz
6236 posts
Sat Mar-31-12 11:16 AM

39. "The hoops you need to jump through nowadays"
In response to Reply # 38

I thought that's what Shinobi meant, eg the used game/content locking controversy, or online being a necessity. Prior to this gen all you needed to do was put in the cartridge/disc and off you go.

-

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Sat Mar-31-12 11:51 AM

42. "yeah, and blow your lungs out"
In response to Reply # 39

o all the scratched discs

or flipping the playstation over

or buying an expensive ass memory cartridge for your saturn or n64

or expensive ass peripherals that only worked for one game like the powerpad

oh, and did I mention how fucking expensive games were?

foh with the good old days.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15294 posts
Sat Mar-31-12 02:54 PM

44. "yup, I didn't play Chrono Trigger until PS1 because it was $80"
In response to Reply # 42

on SNES

and since I was on my parents' budget at the time there was no way I was selling an $80 game on them

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas

http://www.last.fm/user/NodimaChee
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Nodima/run_that_shit__nodimas_hip_hop_handbook

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Sat Mar-31-12 07:04 PM

46. "these richie rich ass niggas don't know the pricetags for shit"
In response to Reply # 44

Lach
Charter member
44324 posts
Sun Apr-01-12 10:06 AM

49. "they aint old enough to remember"
In response to Reply # 46

When Street Fighter 2 Turbo came out on SNES I was bagging groceries and had to fork over damn near my whole paycheck for that game.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57002 posts
Sun Apr-01-12 10:56 AM

50. "Strider for Genesis $80 bucks...."
In response to Reply # 49

....Shit colecovision games for $50 way back in 82

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Ish
Member since May 07th 2011
2028 posts
Sun Apr-01-12 05:59 PM

55. "RE: Strider for Genesis $80 bucks...."
In response to Reply # 50

>....Shit colecovision games for $50 way back in 82

the cabbage patch kids game

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57002 posts
Sun Apr-01-12 08:45 PM

56. "Sega's Turbo was over $100 but came w/steering wheel "
In response to Reply # 55

will_5198
Charter member
63072 posts
Sun Apr-01-12 01:44 PM

51. "nah, I remember"
In response to Reply # 49

took me many a month to save and beg for my $80 RPGs. I think Phantasy Star IV was $100.

--------

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57002 posts
Mon Apr-02-12 11:55 AM

59. "i paid 74.99 for PSII at kay bee toys"
In response to Reply # 51

FortifiedLive
Member since Dec 26th 2006
9984 posts
Mon Apr-02-12 07:19 PM

63. "yup. i kept it flawless and sold it for $300 a few years ago."
In response to Reply # 44

the only thing it was missing was the plastic wrap. unopen i think it was going for close to a G.

<<progressions.

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Sat Mar-31-12 03:35 PM

45. "Nigga please"

Envy
Member since Dec 29th 2006
2629 posts
Sun Apr-01-12 01:30 AM

48. "THIS!!!"

twitter.com/WhoaIsThatMars
GT: MARSallday
PSN: MC_ENVY
Steam: MARSallday

www.last.fm/user/prtank13

will_5198
Charter member
63072 posts
Sun Apr-01-12 01:46 PM

52. "yeah."

I remember when my Super Nintendo got RROD. and when my PlayStation drive scratched all my games because Sony was too cheap to manufacture it right. and that external hard drive I had to buy just to install games on my Saturn. and when all my personal data was released when SegaNet got hacked.

games were stupidly expensive though, I'll give you that. and loading times were a bitch.

--------

Ish
2028 posts
Sun Apr-01-12 05:44 PM

54. "Mike Tyson's punchout was like $50 when it came out."

I have to save up like 5 months worth of allowance money.

jetblack
44802 posts
Mon Apr-02-12 08:41 AM

57. "uh huh. STRIDER for Sega Genesis was $80"

It was me and my brother's present...

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36958 posts
Mon Apr-02-12 12:09 PM

61. "Right. There have always been hoops."

https://digife.com

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Sat Mar-31-12 11:00 PM

47. "I look forward to the 2016 release nm"
In response to Reply # 0

Ish
2028 posts
Sun Apr-01-12 05:41 PM

53. "As with everything, capitalism has to ruin gaming"
In response to Reply # 0

I buy, sell, and trade my games on craigslist.

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Mon Apr-02-12 12:09 PM

62. "you must not know what capitalism is"
In response to Reply # 53

>I buy, sell, and trade my games on craigslist.

Ish
2028 posts
Mon Apr-09-12 01:18 PM

68. "RE: you must not know what capitalism is"
In response to Reply # 62

you make a good point.

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5495 posts
Tue Apr-03-12 10:50 AM

64. "if they're going to get rid of the used game market"
In response to Reply # 0

then they need to lower their prices to market value as the games age. Go on xbox marketplace right now and you'll see 3-4 year old games going for $40-$50 to download, when buying the game used or even new may run you anywhere from $20-$5

--sig--
n/a

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Wed Apr-04-12 10:59 PM

65. "But that's the thing...will they actually do that?"
In response to Reply # 64

As I said before I only buy used games at this point because I honestly don't have enough time to game like I used to. I cop a used joint and let it sit, I don't feel so bad. The days of keeping up with the joneses as far as gaming goes are behind me. I can wait a year after a system drops or 2 even before I jump in. Who cares honestly? If the game is good the game will always be good. So if I get it at launch or when nobody else cares I'm fine with that. If these cats make it so I gotta be online in order to play their shit I think I'm done. Bad enough PSN got a damn update every other week.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

Lach
Charter member
44324 posts
Thu Apr-05-12 01:38 PM

66. "Xbox Live has been lowering game prices over time"

so has PSN. I generally don't see any games that are 3-4 years old going for $40-$50 unless it's one of those games that still pull that kind of value in a physical store like say Call of Duty Black Ops. But I do agree in general that the price floor for games that are old should be less than 19.99 for real. We shouldn't be seeing games like Perfect Dark Zero or Crackdown 1 sitting at 19.99. I'm like I can go pick both of those games up used at gamestop and spend less than 10 bucks total.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Apr-09-12 01:33 PM

69. "Not the DLC though. That shit almost never goes on sale"
In response to Reply # 66

>so has PSN. I generally don't see any games that are 3-4
>years old going for $40-$50 unless it's one of those games
>that still pull that kind of value in a physical store like
>say Call of Duty Black Ops. But I do agree in general that the
>price floor for games that are old should be less than 19.99
>for real. We shouldn't be seeing games like Perfect Dark Zero
>or Crackdown 1 sitting at 19.99. I'm like I can go pick both
>of those games up used at gamestop and spend less than 10
>bucks total.

lc ceo
Member since Jan 19th 2012
1681 posts
Thu Apr-05-12 05:32 PM

67. "And there's no reason downloaded games should cost the same"
Thu Apr-05-12 05:32 PM by lc ceo

as a game I buy from the store. I'm buying directly from the provider, yet I pay the same price I would for something that was manufactured, packaged, shipped and stocked? Fuck all that.

Lobby High-Tech topic #270346 Previous topic | Next topic