Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #119731

Subject: "*sigh* iPhone Troubles abound..." Previous topic | Next topic
alexthezombie
Member since Jan 18th 2004
2950 posts
Thu Sep-13-07 03:44 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"*sigh* iPhone Troubles abound..."

Alright, maynes. I got me an iPhone. Search through some old posts, I've already told the story of how I got me an iPhone on the cheap-cheap.

Anyway... I got an issue where the ring/silent switch is either stuck, jammed, or just-not-movin'.

Anyone know what Apple's deal with repairs is? I'm reading on their website about a 1-year warranty, but I'm wondering if this covers it. I also heard that if they can't fix or replace it right there, they give you a "loaner" phone.

Can anyone help me out or point me in some direction here? The Apple forums are useless as they are primarily folks asking how to get ringtones going and speculating over what features are coming in the next update.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
how about going to the apple store or calling apple?
Sep 13th 2007
I Did.
Sep 13th 2007
      i'll talk to god (steve jobs) about that for you
Sep 13th 2007
they found out you bought a Zune.
Sep 13th 2007
lmao.
Sep 13th 2007
I'm sure there's a way he can redeem himself.
Sep 13th 2007
A+
Sep 13th 2007
Just go to an apple store.
Sep 13th 2007
So get this shit...
Sep 13th 2007
probably not....
Sep 13th 2007
SMH
Sep 13th 2007
RE: So get this shit...
Sep 13th 2007
      RJ, get his ass!
Sep 13th 2007
           lol really. This shit aint gonna end well
Sep 13th 2007
           Yo, somebody needs to dig up the post where he nominates RJ for mod
Sep 13th 2007
The Grande Finale
Sep 13th 2007
These data plans ain't too bad...
Sep 14th 2007
Yeah, I saved money with the iPhone data plan
Sep 14th 2007
If you don't mind me asking...
Sep 14th 2007
      I'm in a family plan
Sep 14th 2007
           wait a sec...
Sep 14th 2007
                lol, I agree with you a lot
Sep 14th 2007
                     RE: lol, I agree with you a lot
Sep 14th 2007
                          Here's the site:
Sep 14th 2007
                               yess
Sep 14th 2007
agreed...
Sep 14th 2007
IT JUST DOESN'T END!!
Sep 14th 2007
Sep 14th 2007
      ^^downloaded the wrong ram
Sep 17th 2007
           RE: ^^downloaded the wrong ram
Sep 17th 2007

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Thu Sep-13-07 03:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "how about going to the apple store or calling apple?"
In response to Reply # 0

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

alexthezombie
2950 posts
Thu Sep-13-07 04:05 AM

2. "I Did."
In response to Reply # 1
Thu Sep-13-07 04:06 AM by alexthezombie

And was surprised to find that no one was working at 5 in the morning.

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Thu Sep-13-07 06:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "i'll talk to god (steve jobs) about that for you"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu Sep-13-07 06:43 AM by L_O_Quent

i'm considering having a friend cop an iphone in the states and bringing it back to here (sweden) then using the unlock program to rock it on my regular carrier here. other than that hardware problem I'm assuming you have no issues, no?

FortifiedLive
Member since Dec 26th 2006
9984 posts
Thu Sep-13-07 09:29 AM

4. "they found out you bought a Zune."
In response to Reply # 0

voids your warranty. read the fine print.

<<progressions.

bobbyjames
Member since Feb 10th 2006
565 posts
Thu Sep-13-07 09:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "lmao."
In response to Reply # 4

kanino
Member since May 02nd 2006
3659 posts
Thu Sep-13-07 11:10 AM

6. "I'm sure there's a way he can redeem himself."
In response to Reply # 4

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

http://twitter.com/sun_dalo
xbl: s/n

jose3030
Charter member
59165 posts
Thu Sep-13-07 11:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "A+"
In response to Reply # 4

Triptych
Charter member
30126 posts
Thu Sep-13-07 12:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
8. "Just go to an apple store."
In response to Reply # 0

They'll check it out and prolly swap it out for a brand new one if they cant fix it in-store.

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

alexthezombie
2950 posts
Thu Sep-13-07 02:55 PM

9. "So get this shit..."
In response to Reply # 0

I call up the Apple Retail Store, select technical support and it sends me to the AppleCare line. For iPhone help, my phone HAS to be registered. As you can imagine, mine isn't registered. It's not unlocked either. I just already had AT&T service and didn't want to set up a new plan with my iPhone.

So they won't even ask me what my problem is without me having service, which sucks.

I'm all like "is there any way I can get it serviced as a retail product? I mean I bought it used and it's still under the 1-year warranty and I just want this faulty switch repaired is all."

The guy basically beleived that I had stolen a phone, unlocked it, and was now trying to get it repaired. Not the case. I even called him out on it. I was like "Look, I didn't unlock this phone. You can check if you want somehow, this number is under AT&T service and I already have the data plans on my account from my previous phone. I just want to switch over to the iPhone because it's, like, 20x sexier then any other phone on the planet." (trying to keep it somewhat lighthearted so he didn't think I was being angry, rude, or short with him)

So before I can even ASK THEM FOR HELP, I need to set up a new contract with AT&T, which I guess I don't mind. I like my service quite a bit and will probably be with them for another decade or so.

You guys think if I went into the retail store, I would have better luck?

budz4zo
Member since Dec 07th 2003
2811 posts
Thu Sep-13-07 03:16 PM

10. "probably not...."
In response to Reply # 9

how'd u get urs anyway? and for cheap?

Triptych
Charter member
30126 posts
Thu Sep-13-07 03:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
11. "SMH"
In response to Reply # 9

hate to say it but you doing it yourself fam.

secondhand? no receipt? unregistered? AND you swapped out the SIM?

C'mon now. How can they really tell you from a thief?

That said, I replaced my first iPhone at the Apple Store w/o a receipt. They took it in the back for like ten minutes and then gave me a brand new one - I never showed them a receipt.

Now I dunno if they checked if it was registered or whatever but that was my experience.

alexthezombie
2950 posts
Thu Sep-13-07 04:48 PM

12. "RE: So get this shit..."
In response to Reply # 9

fuck!!!! Okay so they looked at my phone and basically will not repair it because the warranty does not cover accidents. I'm not sure how they determined that this was the result of an accident but it wasn't. I am standing outside the apple store now awaiting round two with the mac genius. The guy said I could try and pop the switch out by I don't feel like voiding my warranty just yet with a crazy hardware mid.

Anyone know about the insides of these things????

Steelysteel
Charter member
4926 posts
Thu Sep-13-07 05:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "RJ, get his ass!"
In response to Reply # 12

Yousa funny dude. Do you wonder why that shit was so cheap now?

http://www.myspace.com/steelysteel
http://www.last.fm/user/steelysteel/
XBL Gamertag:steelysteel

Triptych
Charter member
30126 posts
Thu Sep-13-07 05:14 PM

14. "lol really. This shit aint gonna end well"
In response to Reply # 13

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Thu Sep-13-07 06:27 PM

15. "Yo, somebody needs to dig up the post where he nominates RJ for mod"
In response to Reply # 13

Then changes his mind like 50 posts into the shit.

Alex = comedy.

alexthezombie
2950 posts
Thu Sep-13-07 08:33 PM

16. "The Grande Finale"
In response to Reply # 0

Okay so it's all settled now. I called up AT&T and we got the plan all set up and registered in my name so the phone is legit. I even asked them to take off the crazy data plan I'm never going to use and they did. So the final result is...

a $100 iPhone. The catch: I can't hear it ring. And it's only 4GB I can deal with that. I'm not big on ringtones, anyway.

Everything else with the phone is absolutely fine. I have a smart playlist (iTunes and the Zune software are sharing a library), set up to dump 3GB worth of the most recently played songs onto the phone.

Phone is great. I still feel good about what I got for a measly $100. Thanks to everyone that offered up their $0.02

alexthezombie
2950 posts
Fri Sep-14-07 01:50 AM

17. "These data plans ain't too bad..."
In response to Reply # 0

$20 on top of my current $40 a month for unlimited data and a few more texts (which would be replaced by a few web-based texting services).

Not bad at all, actually. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Fri Sep-14-07 06:56 AM

18. "Yeah, I saved money with the iPhone data plan"
In response to Reply # 17

The plan I had for the Blackjack was about $20 more than what I'm paying now.

alexthezombie
2950 posts
Fri Sep-14-07 05:05 PM

20. "If you don't mind me asking..."
In response to Reply # 18

What was your plan setup before??

Right now, my bill comes out to ~$90/month with 450 minutes ($40/mo), the texting plan ($20/mo), and the fees I seem to rack up, using the Internet from time to time to get movie listings and the occassional Facebook Mobile activity.

With this new iPhone setup, it's $60/month with the $20/month iPhone setup and the 450/mo minutes and that'll give me unlimited data, visual voicemail (I actually need this), and enough texting.

I wish they'd come out with rollover texting, like they have for the minutes. Some months, I don't send more then 10 texts and then some months my thumbs ache from all the texting.

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Fri Sep-14-07 05:13 PM

21. "I'm in a family plan"
In response to Reply # 20

We split the base costs four ways, then each person pays for what services they get.

The base cost was like $60, so I was paying $15 + the cost of data + the cost of the line ($10). Data and 1.5k of texts was $50 for the Blackjack.

Now I'm paying that $15 + $30 for data and the same amount of texts and the line cost (it's all $30 when adding it to the family plan) for the iPhone.

alexthezombie
2950 posts
Fri Sep-14-07 05:24 PM

22. "wait a sec..."
In response to Reply # 21

Are we finally agreeing on something??

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Fri Sep-14-07 06:02 PM

23. "lol, I agree with you a lot"
In response to Reply # 22

You just change your mind constantly so it's hard to keep up.

Do you know if you can get that $100 gift thing to Apple? I just went through the process to get mine and all you need is the serial number from the back of the phone and your phone number.

alexthezombie
2950 posts
Fri Sep-14-07 06:14 PM

24. "RE: lol, I agree with you a lot"
In response to Reply # 23

hahah word?? Is there a website or what? How do I get this man's $100 gift card (to be used on iTunes, probably)

chillinCHiEF
Charter member
39873 posts
Fri Sep-14-07 06:20 PM

26. "Here's the site:"
In response to Reply # 24

http://www.apple.com/iphone/storecredit/

alexthezombie
2950 posts
Fri Sep-14-07 06:40 PM

27. "yess"
In response to Reply # 26

As soon as I get my phone all registered and setup, I will make an attempt to get the credit.

I could use some nicer headphones and some iTunes credit.

FortifiedLive
Member since Dec 26th 2006
9984 posts
Fri Sep-14-07 09:50 AM

19. "agreed..."
In response to Reply # 17

i was playing $15/mo. more with the BlackBurry data plans.

<<progressions.

alexthezombie
2950 posts
Fri Sep-14-07 06:19 PM

25. "IT JUST DOESN'T END!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Man, this phone is cursed! I'm about to track the previous owner down and pay him another $100 to take it back.

So now I'm trying to set it up legit and iTunes is telling me that I can't create an account at this time.

And here's the kicker. Since I did the restore to get my phone back to the factory settings (just to make everything a tad more kosher), I don't have a phone right now to call up Apple and ask them what's up.

alexthezombie
2950 posts
Fri Sep-14-07 08:43 PM

28. "..."
In response to Reply # 25

Now I can't seem to unlock it again and after talking to AppleCare, it seems like the state of Virginia (and a few others) is unable to create iTunes/Apple accounts, meaning no activating their phones till, about Monday morning.

BALLS!

unfukwitable
Charter member
22112 posts
Mon Sep-17-07 10:24 AM

29. "^^downloaded the wrong ram"
In response to Reply # 28

======================================
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tade/

alexthezombie
2950 posts
Mon Sep-17-07 11:40 AM

30. "RE: ^^downloaded the wrong ram"
In response to Reply # 29

<sarcasm> I *thought* that might be the issue. </sarcasm>

Lobby High-Tech topic #119731 Previous topic | Next topic