Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #260659

Subject: "Iphone to Sprint mid-October" Previous topic | Next topic
Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Tue Aug-23-11 02:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Iphone to Sprint mid-October"

Sprint Nextel Corp. will begin selling the iPhone 5 in mid-October, people familiar with the matter said, closing a huge hole in the No. 3 U.S. carrier's lineup and giving Apple Inc. another channel for selling its popular phone.

The timing, however, indicates Apple's new iPhone will hit the market later than expected and too late to contribute to sales in the company's fiscal fourth quarter, which ends in September. Most observers had expected the device to arrive next month.

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903327904576526690675657466.html#ixzz1VsuCAE7z

http://cousinofdef.tumblr.com/

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llt5aeHWzJ1qitfqyo1_500.gif

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
FUCK!!! TOO MANY OPTIONS!!!
Aug 23rd 2011
I suggest that you avoid iphones at all costs.
Aug 23rd 2011
      why?
Aug 24th 2011
GAH! i'm so torn now
Aug 23rd 2011
watch Sprint's unlimited data plans soon go right out the window
Aug 23rd 2011
they better grandfather a ngh in
Aug 23rd 2011
^
Aug 24th 2011
they'd be stupid to do so
Aug 23rd 2011
i'll be off so fast if that happens
Aug 24th 2011
I was thinking that too but unlimited data and cheaper plans are
Aug 24th 2011
      the downside being that you have to pay more for phones
Aug 24th 2011
           they're always offering discount phones
Aug 24th 2011
                on a $500 phone
Aug 24th 2011
Aug 23rd 2011
But is it gonna have a sim card tho?
Aug 23rd 2011
Aug 23rd 2011
So now I'm going to have to keep my shitty TP2 til mid october?
Aug 24th 2011
it's September next week
Aug 24th 2011
      all this shit happens starting Sept 29th
Aug 24th 2011
Horsesh!t.
Aug 25th 2011
this really pissed you off huh??
Aug 25th 2011
Rumor: Unlimited Plan to Stay (swipe)
Sep 09th 2011
Fucking awesome. I might switch now just to support
Sep 09th 2011
      I'm in a similar boat
Sep 09th 2011

Darryl_Licke
Member since Jun 06th 2002
70279 posts
Tue Aug-23-11 03:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "FUCK!!! TOO MANY OPTIONS!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Do i wait and go iphone???!!! Do I GO ANDROID IN SEPT!!!??

WHAT DO AI DO!!!!! GUIDE ME WHITE BABY JESUSS!!!!

but there is nothing wrong with being odd. i mean you arent inkast or adwhizz odd. - VABestBBW
Binlahab is a bitch.
I wouldn't trust okp, some of them don't even get any anymore since the Re's stopped - Anonymous OKP

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52640 posts
Tue Aug-23-11 04:17 PM

2. "I suggest that you avoid iphones at all costs."
In response to Reply # 1

---
Love,
Nopayne

Darryl_Licke
Member since Jun 06th 2002
70279 posts
Wed Aug-24-11 12:13 PM

11. "why?"
In response to Reply # 2

and don't pull that NoPayne bullshit either....

but there is nothing wrong with being odd. i mean you arent inkast or adwhizz odd. - VABestBBW
Binlahab is a bitch.
I wouldn't trust okp, some of them don't even get any anymore since the Re's stopped - Anonymous OKP

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42305 posts
Tue Aug-23-11 04:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "GAH! i'm so torn now"
In response to Reply # 0

WTF DO I DO?!

Lach
Charter member
44333 posts
Tue Aug-23-11 04:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "watch Sprint's unlimited data plans soon go right out the window"
In response to Reply # 0

hardware
42305 posts
Tue Aug-23-11 04:44 PM

5. "they better grandfather a ngh in"
In response to Reply # 4

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19964 posts
Wed Aug-24-11 09:37 AM

10. "^"
In response to Reply # 5

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Tue Aug-23-11 05:08 PM

6. "they'd be stupid to do so"
In response to Reply # 4

they need to work to keep the network capable of handling the data because the iphone + simply everything plan will draw in a lot of customers. their simply everything plans pretty much shit on verizon and at&t's overpriced offerings.

the iphone could really help them to gain some footing in the mobile battle.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

osu_no_1
Member since Feb 26th 2003
9424 posts
Wed Aug-24-11 05:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "i'll be off so fast if that happens"
In response to Reply # 4

unlimited data is the only thing sprint has left

well, that and $3/share stock

oh that's right, also the 4g that i paid $10 a month for over a yr and they still havent deployed

Ish
Member since May 07th 2011
2028 posts
Wed Aug-24-11 12:42 PM

13. "I was thinking that too but unlimited data and cheaper plans are"
In response to Reply # 4

the only perks sprint's working with right now. So if they keep the unlimited data with the iphone, Sprint will be No.1 by next spring.

hardware
42305 posts
Wed Aug-24-11 01:24 PM

16. "the downside being that you have to pay more for phones"
In response to Reply # 13

unlike Verizon or AT&T, Sprint doesn't give you that much of a break on phones for new contracts

csuave03
Member since May 20th 2007
3068 posts
Wed Aug-24-11 07:13 PM

17. "they're always offering discount phones"
In response to Reply # 16

they just called me yesterday. I think after 6 mos or so they offer $150 off any phone

hardware
42305 posts
Wed Aug-24-11 08:37 PM

18. "on a $500 phone"
In response to Reply # 17

which you can usually get on AT&T between $100 an free

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Tue Aug-23-11 08:25 PM

7. ""
In response to Reply # 0

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

csuave03
3068 posts
Tue Aug-23-11 08:39 PM

"But is it gonna have a sim card tho?"

Sprint is fucking up by not getting on the bandwagon.

csuave03
3068 posts
Tue Aug-23-11 08:39 PM

8. "."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Aug-23-11 08:39 PM by csuave03

nm

Ish
Member since May 07th 2011
2028 posts
Wed Aug-24-11 12:40 PM

12. "So now I'm going to have to keep my shitty TP2 til mid october?"
In response to Reply # 0

Fuck.

Boogiedwn
8677 posts
Wed Aug-24-11 01:13 PM

14. "it's September next week"
In response to Reply # 12

that's not that long

hardware
42305 posts
Wed Aug-24-11 01:20 PM

15. "all this shit happens starting Sept 29th"
In response to Reply # 14
Wed Aug-24-11 01:22 PM by hardware

which means the phones wont be out until october

thats a fucking long ass wait if you've had a shitty phone on a 2 year contract

Steve Jobs
Member since Jun 07th 2006
334 posts
Thu Aug-25-11 09:11 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "Horsesh!t."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.apple.com

Think Different.

Recycle your e-waste, please.

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66766 posts
Thu Aug-25-11 09:24 AM

20. "this really pissed you off huh??"
In response to Reply # 19

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Boogiedwn
8677 posts
Fri Sep-09-11 09:54 AM

21. "Rumor: Unlimited Plan to Stay (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/09/sprint-rumored-to-retain-unlimited-data-with-iphone-5-launch-pr/

Here's the word straight from Bloomberg's unnamed sources: Sprint's not only getting the elusive iPhone 5 -- it's keeping an unlimited data plan around just to sway buyers who may otherwise spring for the AT&T / Verizon Wireless variants. Furthermore, these folks in-the-know have good reason to believe that it'll be launched "next month," which gives Apple a shockingly small amount of time to invite us over for a west coast reveal. As it stands, the only folks who'll get limitless data with an iPhone 5 on its existing US carriers are those with grandfathered plans; any new customers on Ma Bell or Big Red will be forced to select one of many tiered options. Not surprisingly, neither Sprint nor Apple are commenting on the story, but if it all proves true, Sprint can definitely hang its hat on having one serious competitive advantage.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-09/sprint-is-said-to-plan-unlimited-data-with-iphone-5-to-stand-out-from-pack.html

Sprint Nextel Corp. (S) will offer Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s iPhone next month with unlimited data service plans to distinguish itself from rivals AT&T Inc. (T) and Verizon Wireless, according to people familiar with the matter.

Sprint, the third-largest U.S. wireless carrier, plans to begin selling the device in mid-October under a deal with Apple for the next model, the iPhone 5, said the people, who wouldn’t be identified because the plans aren’t public. Becoming the country’s only operator to offer the device with unlimited data service for a flat fee may help Sprint draw customers from AT&T and Verizon Wireless, which already carry the phone, they said.

Sprint, based in Overland Park, Kansas, is struggling to compete against larger rivals and has lost money for 15 consecutive quarters. The addition of the iPhone to Sprint’s lineup will help it win customers, said Matthew Thornton, an analyst at Avian Securities LLC.
“It’s a competitive disadvantage if your two larger competitors have the iPhone and you don’t,” Thornton said in an interview. “Getting the iPhone closes that gap.”

Michelle Leff Mermelstein, a spokeswoman for Sprint, said the company doesn’t comment on products or services it hasn’t announced. Natalie Harrison, a spokeswoman for Apple, declined to comment on rumors or speculation.

Sprint already offers unlimited data plans for smartphones such as Research In Motion Ltd. (RIMM)’s BlackBerry and HTC Corp. (2498)’s Evo, which runs on Google Inc. (GOOG)’s Android operating system. Sprint’s unlimited voice and data service costs $99.99 a month.

AT&T and Verizon
AT&T and Verizon charge for data service on top of voice- service plans. AT&T, which has unlimited voice service for $69.99 a month, offers 200 megabytes of data for $15 a month, 2 gigabytes of data for $25 a month, or 4 gigabytes of data for $45 a month. Verizon’s data plans for the iPhone start at $30 a month for 2 gigabytes and rise to $80 for 10 gigabytes, in addition to unlimited voice service for $69.99 a month.

Unlimited data plans are a draw because they allow customers to surf the Web, share photos or watch videos as much as they want. They’re particularly valuable for people who use mobile devices for applications such as Netflix Inc. (NFLX)’s movie service or Pandora Media Inc.’s streaming music.

“The advantage of unlimited is, it’s cheaper for the big users,” Peter Rhamey, an analyst at Bank of Montreal, said in an interview. The plans may draw other customers because “people don’t like bill shock,” he said. “Consumers will pay a premium for unlimited.”

IPhone vs. Android
The iPhone may not lead to more data use per customer than Sprint already sees from customers who have Android phones. In the first quarter, Android smartphone owners in the U.S. consumed an average of 582 megabytes of data each month, compared with 492 megabytes for iPhone owners, according to Nielsen Co.’s analysis of nearly 65,000 cell-phone bills.

Apple’s iPhone has proved to be a valuable recruitment tool for rivals: Of the 5.6 million smartphones AT&T sold in the second quarter, the device accounted for 3.6 million. A quarter of the subscribers who bought the iPhone were new to AT&T, the company said.
Sprint has been using the iPhone’s launch as retention tool with its executives, as it expects the addition of the device to boost its stock price, said one person familiar with the situation.
Sprint fell 8 cents to $3.37 at 9:46 a.m. on the New York Stock Exchange, and had declined 18 percent this year before today. Apple dropped 44 cents to $383.70 in Nasdaq Stock Market trading and had climbed 19 percent this year before today.

To prepare for the introduction, Sprint has postponed the September debut of a rival smartphone that uses fourth- generation, or 4G, wireless technology, said one person familiar with the situation.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Sep-09-11 10:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "Fucking awesome. I might switch now just to support"
In response to Reply # 21

I am grandfathered into AT&T, but considering how important cellphone wireless is becoming when it comes to the internet and information in general, the while 'charge by the byte' shit has to go.

The_Orange_Ninja_Turtle
Member since Jan 14th 2005
22411 posts
Fri Sep-09-11 10:29 AM

23. "I'm in a similar boat"
In response to Reply # 22

expect I still have my old Sprint account.

Decisions, decisions. I wonder how fast the data will be.

Lobby High-Tech topic #260659 Previous topic | Next topic