Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #103428

Subject: "Mac folk, school me on fonts por favor..." Previous topic | Next topic
_lorok_
Member since Jan 30th 2006
135 posts
Fri Apr-27-07 07:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Mac folk, school me on fonts por favor..."

I want to know primarily about management. How many fonts will slow down my computer? At what point do I need to look into something like (I think it's called) Suitcase, or ATM? In simple terms, what do these do? Is there a better option? I'm getting hired on part time with an ad agency, and will be doing lots of InDesign work mostly. Any help is appreciated.

damn, they done deleted me after 6 years son.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It comes with Font Book
Apr 27th 2007
yup
Apr 28th 2007
linotype font explorer
Apr 28th 2007
^^yup^^
Apr 28th 2007
o rly? /nm/
Apr 28th 2007
thanks yall
Apr 30th 2007
If you're doing real design work...
Apr 30th 2007

Kellsworth
Member since Feb 21st 2006
771 posts
Fri Apr-27-07 09:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It comes with Font Book"
In response to Reply # 0

which does a pretty good job of managing your fonts. http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/fontbook/

I had a ton of fonts that i jacked from school before i graduated, and i found that it would slow down my system having them all activated only when opening illustrator or photoshop cause it goes through all of them.

There's a ton of free mac font sites but those are mostly for silly fonts. Windows fonts dont work on a mac but apparently there are programs that can convert the two. I never used one before so i'm not sure how it works.

"Used to be the new kid 'till I grew into that new shit/
Emperors that hear the tunes admit that they are nudists..."

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Sat Apr-28-07 02:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "yup"
In response to Reply # 1

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

luminous
Charter member
12493 posts
Sat Apr-28-07 06:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "linotype font explorer"
In response to Reply # 0

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

BreezeBoogie
Charter member
7903 posts
Sat Apr-28-07 07:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "^^yup^^"
In response to Reply # 3

n/m

-----------------------
"I'm so glad I got my own
I'm so glad that I can see
my life's a natural high
the man can't put no thing on me" (c) Curtis Mayfield

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Sat Apr-28-07 09:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "o rly? /nm/"
In response to Reply # 3

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

_lorok_
Member since Jan 30th 2006
135 posts
Mon Apr-30-07 12:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "thanks yall"
In response to Reply # 0

So, if I understand correctly the font book will allow me to control which fonts are activated and which aren't? I'm about to check out that linotype bit now. Thanks again.

damn, they done deleted me after 6 years son.

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Mon Apr-30-07 10:37 AM

7. "If you're doing real design work..."
In response to Reply # 0

...you definitely need a font management program so you can turn them on and off as needed. You don't want to have 100 fonts open at a time. It will slow down your computer and occasionally leads to problems with layout & design programs.

I use Suitcase, but ATM works too. I don't know anything about Linotype.

Font programs also have helpful features like font sets so that if your client uses the same set of fonts every time you can make a set and just turn it on before you start work and all the fonts you need will be open (instead of turning them on one at a time).

Font mgmt programs also help to monitor duplicate fonts (which can mess up your system) or find font errors (which are responsible for like 90% of CS/Quark crashes, IMO).

The best thing you can do for you and your computer is to use clean, non-corrupted fonts and be diligent about managing them in a font program.

I work strictly on Macs and I don't know anything about Font Book. I've heard designers complain about it, and our IT guy hates it. But I don't know any of the details.

https://i.imgur.com/ZkkZekl.gif

Lobby High-Tech topic #103428 Previous topic | Next topic