Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2619033

Subject: "Jamal Adams: Field is 'perfect place to die' -- fans cheer (ESPN swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Mon Jul-31-17 09:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Jamal Adams: Field is 'perfect place to die' -- fans cheer (ESPN swipe)"

The video on the other side of the link gives some context to Adams' content. I don't know which is crazier, Adams' comment or the crowd's reaction. SMH

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69973/jamal-adams-on-cte-field-is-perfect-place-to-die-fans-cheer

Jamal Adams on CTE: Field is 'perfect place to die' -- fans cheer

Rich Cimini
ESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- It was an awkward moment, compounded by an odd reaction from the audience.

The scene: Commissioner Roger Goodell conducted a fan forum Monday in the New York Jets' auditorium. He was flanked by players Matt Forte and Jamal Adams, and there were about 150 season-ticket holders in the room asking questions.

When the conversation turned to CTE and player safety, each man gave his thoughts. As a defensive player, Adams said he's "not a big fan" of rules that protect offensive players, but that he understands the league's emphasis on safety.

Then came the fingernails-across-the-blackboard moment.

"Literally, if I had the perfect place to die," Adams said, "I'd die on the field."

His comment prompted a smattering of applause from the fans in attendance, many of whom were decked out in Jets gear.

After the forum, Goodell tried to put Adams' remark in perspective.

"I think what he was really making the point of is how much he loved the game and how passionate he is about the game," Goodell told reporters. "It's just something that means a great deal to him. I get the emotion of that."

As for the fans' reaction?

"I think fans understood the emotion of what he was saying," Goodell said. "Which is: We love the game. I think they love the game. But I don't think anyone took it (literally)."

Goodell defended the league's efforts to improve player safety, adding that it hopes to improve helmets and pour more money into brain-trauma research. Forte, in his 10th season, said CTE is "definitely concerning," but he's encouraged by the improvements in equipment.

Adams made his "die" comment in the context of his affinity for the game.

"I can speak for a lot of guys that play the game," he said. "We live and breathe it. This is what we're so passionate about. Literally, if I had a perfect place to die, I would die on the field. And that's not a lie. There's so much sacrifice that we go through as a team, and just connecting as one and winning ball games. There's nothing like playing the game of football. But again, I'm all about making the game safer."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Jamal Adams: Field is 'perfect place to die' -- fans cheer (ESPN swipe) [View all] , obsidianchrysalis, Mon Jul-31-17 09:53 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
many players are afraid to find out who they are w/o football
Jul 31st 2017
Yup! Was gonna post someting similar. Most of these dudes,...
Aug 01st 2017
      No different than most athletes in any sport that make it pro
Aug 04th 2017
Talk to Johnny Knox.
Jul 31st 2017
no hyperbole...the worst looking injury I've ever seen...
Aug 01st 2017
nfl fans did not show their best this week
Jul 31st 2017
i agree with him
Aug 01st 2017
Did you play? I'm not coming at you, by the way.
Aug 01st 2017
      yeah. EDIT
Aug 01st 2017
           Interesting insight here.
Aug 02nd 2017
           it was so much more than that
Aug 03rd 2017
           Yeah lol, that's what I took away from it as well
Aug 04th 2017
foot meets mouth, knuckle-dragging jets fans cheer
Aug 01st 2017

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2619033 Previous topic | Next topic