Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2332470

Subject: "The Old Man Basketball diaries: The 'Could-Have-Beens'" Previous topic | Next topic
auragin_boi
Member since Aug 01st 2003
20939 posts
Fri May-30-14 09:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Old Man Basketball diaries: The 'Could-Have-Beens'"

Ok, so everyone has Hooped with some dude who 'could have been' and it's usually some asshole who thinks way more of himself than he should or is just dumb as rocks. Today we discuss this dudes.

Story:
When I was in grad school, I use to hoop up at my alma mater whenever I got the chance. For my chi hoop heads, this was around the time Martell Bailey and Cedric Banks were there (UIC). So a bunch of the hoop squad is up there during the summer running pick up. A few guys I was cool with from the 98 tourney team were there too so we pick squads.

I end up on Baileys team with a few of the current players and some of the former players. Game starts, it's back and forth the whole game. No separation as both teams are evenly matched. Bailey has the ball in his hands most of the game being the shortest dude on the team and a pg. Whole game he doesn't pass me the ball not once. Looked me off on 4 separate possessions. Given he didn't know me, I understood it but my ego back then did not appreciate the 'scrub' treatment. Especially given I had played with most of those dudes before and more than held my own. HE just want familiar.

But whatever, I did other things to be involved in the game. So we get near the end of the game, it's tied, our ball and Bailey has it. I'm on the wing and the guy guarding me is hedging because I haven't gotten a shot all game. Bailey makes a move to lose his man and has a pull up J for the win.

Mid pull up, I dash to the rim to board just in case he misses. And wouldn't you know it... THAT'S when he decides to pass, but he passed it to where I was standing and not to where I was cutting. Turnover.

Other team comes back down the court. Bucket. Game.

This dick head had the nerve to blame ME for the L!

I'm like "the hell you passing for on game point? You had the shot and you froze me out."

He starts calling me a bum and talking about he's a superstar. I'm like dude you in here with me, at UIC making dumb ass plays POINT GUARD! Not a pre Draft camp! This was the summer after his senior year so I must have struck a nerve because he got heated until one of the old heads from the 98 team I was cool with calmed things down.

I still Lmao @ "I'm a superstar."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

The Old Man Basketball diaries: The 'Could-Have-Beens' [View all] , auragin_boi, Fri May-30-14 09:12 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Lmao that's hillarisad
May 30th 2014
Making plays like that...
May 30th 2014
Lucas Barnes
May 30th 2014
These guys would fall in the "dumb" category smh
May 30th 2014
Games in the gym with Barnes
May 30th 2014
Ahhhh....I never heard that story. Wild bc South Florida produces