Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2216125

Subject: "Mike Alvarado - Ruslan Provodnikov finalized for Oct. 19th (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 09:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Mike Alvarado - Ruslan Provodnikov finalized for Oct. 19th (swipe)"

Didn't see a post about it. Gonna be in the Denver 'burbs. I'm fuckin going. Should be an absolute war.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_23777062/mike-alvarado-fight-ruslan-provodnikov-defend-title-colorado

Mike Alvarado to fight Ruslan Provodnikov, defend boxing title in Colorado
By Nick Groke
The Denver Post

Brandon Rios, left, takes a punch from Mike Alvarado in a fight for the interim WBO junior welterweight championship at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas in March. (Steve Marcus, Reuters)
Denver's Mike Alvarado will fight Russian Ruslan Provodnikov in the first major boxing championship bout in Colorado in nearly 13 years, Alvarado's promoter and manager confirmed Thursday.

The junior welterweight fight is scheduled for Oct. 19 at the FirstBank Center in Broomfield. It will air live on HBO immediately after a replay of the Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Tim Bradley fight from a week earlier.

Alvarado (34-1) is coming off a career-making victory by unanimous decision over Brandon Rios in March, a fight-of-the-year candidate. Provodnikov (22-2) lost to Bradley in a brawl two weeks before Alvarado-Rios.

"This matchup is perfect for Mike," said Henry Delgado, Alvarado's manager. "Mike can do what he wants. He can bang and he can box."

Alvarado is expected to earn more than $1 million to fight Provodnikov, likely almost doubling his previous career high.

Provodnikov — who calls himself the "Siberian Rocky" — last fought Bradley at 147 pounds, the welterweight limit. But Provodnikov will come back down in weight to fight Alvarado at the junior welterweight limit of 140 pounds.

"When Mike reached this level, you fight the elite every time out," said Carl Moretti, vice president of promoter Top Rank. "That's what he's doing. This is not a showcase fight. Mike proved his mettle. Provodnikov showed what he had against Bradley. It's a big night for boxing."

Colorado last hosted a major boxing title fight in September 2000, when Stevie Johnston failed to take the WBC lightweight belt from Jose Luis Castillo in a 12-round draw at the Pepsi Center.

"I was hoping for an easier showcase fight for Mike," said Shann Vilhauer, Alvarado's trainer. "Something like Stevie Johnston's title defense at Magness Arena."

Johnston defended his lightweight championship in March 2000 on the University of Denver campus in a fight that aired on ESPN.

"But this is HBO. They ain't gonna put garbage on that network," Vilhauer said.

Alvarado, in his victory over Rios in March, won the interim WBO junior welterweight title.

Details about ticket sales for the Oct. 19 fight will be announced later.

i still blame hip-hop.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Mike Alvarado - Ruslan Provodnikov finalized for Oct. 19th (swipe) [View all] , veritas, Mon Aug-05-13 09:50 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
should be an absolute war
Aug 05th 2013
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^...
Aug 05th 2013
tickets go on sale friday. anybody thinking about making the trip?
Aug 14th 2013
So....anybody else excited for this fight?
Oct 17th 2013
I'm in the exctied/scared camp
Oct 17th 2013
      When you put it that way...
Oct 17th 2013
      Nah, it will most likely be great fun
Oct 17th 2013
      Might be another Ward-Gatti type
Oct 17th 2013
      You really know your shit bruh.
Oct 20th 2013
Could be a hellacious war
Oct 17th 2013
whupped Alvarado ass. made that nigga quit on his stool, smh
Oct 19th 2013
Good fight but yeah mike got rocked
Oct 20th 2013
I wouldn't be surprised if this dude sparred with bears and shit
Oct 20th 2013
      'The man that scrapped w/ lions, hibernated w/ polar bears!'
Oct 20th 2013
           Trained like rocky did against drago, hails from mother Russia
Oct 20th 2013
                The Asian/Russian genes connection like kostya
Oct 20th 2013
Dude is the new Margarito
Oct 20th 2013
What a fight!! I love both of these guys.
Oct 20th 2013
couldnt have said it better
Oct 20th 2013
Just--thank goodness they stopped it when they did
Oct 20th 2013
Ruslan will fight the winner Pac vs Rios
Oct 20th 2013
Prov might just end up fighting Rios regardless
Oct 20th 2013
      I'd love to see him fight Floyd
Oct 20th 2013
           RE: I'd love to see him fight Floyd
Oct 20th 2013
that was awesome!
Oct 20th 2013
Alvarado looked like he ran out of gas pretty early...
Oct 20th 2013

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2216125 Previous topic | Next topic