Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #730661

Subject: "James Gunn is outta the MCU for old offensive tweets (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
84997 posts
Fri Jul-20-18 02:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"James Gunn is outta the MCU for old offensive tweets (swipe)"

https://deadline.com/2018/07/james-gunn-fired-guardians-of-the-galaxy-disney-offensive-tweets-1202430392/amp/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

James Gunn has been removed as director of the Guardians Of The Galaxy series after a batch of old social media dispatches were unearthed that touched on areas like pedophilia and rape. In the latest shocking #metoo development in the entertainment industry, Gunn was severed from the Marvel Comics Universe after a slew of social media posts he wrote before getting Guardians of the Galaxy surfaced. According to Fox News, they were posted because Gunn is an outspoken critic of President Donald Trump and the effort was to knock him down a few pegs.

Mission accomplished. Gunn has long been a provocateur who has drawn ire in the past for his unusual humor. Among the tweets that forced Disney and Marvel’s hand were: “I like when little boys touch me in my silly place.”

Another: “The best thing about being raped is when you’re done being raped and it’s like ‘whew this feels great, not being raped!’” There were others that made satirical comments about the 9/11 attack, AIDS and the Holocaust.

Disney responded quickly and decisively: “The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him,” said Alan Horn, Walt Disney Studios chairman, in a statement just released.

Since the fall of Harvey Weinstein, a heightened level of sensitivity in Hollywood has led to one headline after another, from Scarlett Johansson withdrawing from playing a transgender character in the $30 million New Regency film Rub & Tug, to Paramount TV chief Amy Powell being fired for alleged racially insensitive statements. This was just the past nine days.

The idea of being held to task for old social media posts might be new to Hollywood, but we see it rear up all the time in sports, most recently when all-star Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Josh Hader was forced to apologize for old homophobic and racist posts made while he was in high school in 2012. One and one-half of the Two and a Half Men cast were felled by outlandish social media messaging, as both Charlie Sheen and Angus T. Jones issued volatile statements that disparaged the long running hit sitcom.

Here is Gunn defending the prior tweets, which were captured by Fox News before his Twitter feed was taken down.

1. Many people who have followed my career know when I started, I viewed myself as a provocateur, making movies and telling jokes that were outrageous and taboo. As I have discussed publicly many times, as I’ve developed as a person, so has my work and my humor.

— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 20, 2018
2. It’s not to say I’m better, but I am very, very different than I was a few years ago; today I try to root my work in love and connection and less in anger. My days saying something just because it’s shocking and trying to get a reaction are over.

4. For the record, when I made these shocking jokes, I wasn’t living them out. I know this is a weird statement to make, and seems obvious, but, still, here I am, saying it.

5. Anyway, that’s the completely honest truth: I used to make a lot of offensive jokes. I don’t anymore. I don’t blame my past self for this, but I like myself more and feel like a more full human being and creator today. Love you to you all.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

James Gunn is outta the MCU for old offensive tweets (swipe) [View all] , BrooklynWHAT, Fri Jul-20-18 02:44 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
man, this is really no different than Trevor Noah
Jul 20th 2018
I don't have a great memory of the Trevor Noah stuff
Jul 20th 2018
huh. turns out those alt-righters *don't* actually love free speech
Jul 20th 2018
Disney knew what he was
Jul 20th 2018
That's what bothers me the most.
Jul 20th 2018
      My thoughts exactly
Jul 20th 2018
           Get Takia.
Jul 20th 2018
                ^^^works for me
Jul 21st 2018
trump lovers are who they are, but why did disney hire a 40 year old
Jul 21st 2018
      THIS!!!
Jul 24th 2018
      probably because they treated the jokes as just that, jokes.
Jul 24th 2018
      let's be realistic though
Jul 31st 2018
Guardians cast says BRING HIM BYKE
Jul 30th 2018
Also Disney
Jul 31st 2018
Two things. 1st, Those weren't fucking jokes
Aug 01st 2018
Thank you for saying this.
Aug 06th 2018
nah, man, they were jokes
Aug 07th 2018
Dave Bautista tells ShortList he'll quit 'Guardians of the Galaxy' if Ja...
Aug 06th 2018
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PeriodicLittleApe-max-1mb.gif
Aug 06th 2018
theyll bring him back once things have cooled off a lil.
Aug 06th 2018
This whole affair is a test-run for these shit-heads to make a run at...
Aug 07th 2018
James Gunn in Demand for Major Studio Movies After Disney Firing
Aug 08th 2018
its simpler to just bring him back.
Aug 08th 2018
nah probably not
Aug 08th 2018
      That's what people thought with AMC/Hardwick
Aug 11th 2018
How many people really pay attention to this stuff?
Aug 09th 2018
      I think we're under playing how much info folks have going into films
Aug 09th 2018
           exactly
Aug 09th 2018
Mar 15th 2019
I didn't think they'd do it, but I was wrong.
Mar 15th 2019
Glad he’s back. Mad we have to wait until after SS2 for GOTG3
Mar 15th 2019

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #730661 Previous topic | Next topic