Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #725082

Subject: "Marvel and ABC are butting heads with Disney playing ref." Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Thu Sep-28-17 02:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Marvel and ABC are butting heads with Disney playing ref."

https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/abc-idol-inhuman-1202573827/

The same level of enthusiasm does not, however, exist within many at ABC for “Inhumans.” Reviews thus far have been largely negative, reflecting the sentiment inside ABC. Network executives expressed concerns early on to Marvel Television, which produces the series. Subsequent work by Marvel to fine-tune the visuals did little to allay concerns at the network, where executives felt that the scripts were as problematic as the effects that had been mocked by the Marvel fan community on Twitter after a trailer was released. As Slashfilm’s Peter Sciretta wrote on Twitter when scenes from the show were screened at Comic-Con in July, “Wow #Inhumans looks worse than I ever possibly could have imagined. Badly written, horrible costumes, designs, film … school level looking visual effects, unmotivated overlit , unnecessary slow motion shots. The crowd laughed at the footage.”

“Inhumans” showrunner Scott Buck has already taken a drubbing from fans for steering Netflix’s widely panned Marvel drama “Iron Fist.” In her review of “Inhumans” for Variety, critic Maureen Ryan wrote, “‘Iron Fist’ looks like ‘Citizen Kane’ next to this slapped-together, incoherent, cheap-looking mess.”

When ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey faced questions about the quality of the show in August from reporters who had viewed the premiere at the Television Critics Assn. press tour, she responded, “I think that the episode that you guys have seen is still a bit of a work in progress.”

Thanks to an innovative financing deal with Imax, “Inhumans” comes to ABC with most of its production costs covered, reducing the pressure for the show to perform well when it debuts Sept. 29. The first two episodes of the program were screened in Imax theaters for a week starting Labor Day weekend. The stunt grossed about $1.5 million domestically in nearly 400 theaters, but it also generated more tepid buzz for the series, which revolves around a society of superpowered people who live in a secret colony on the moon.

“Inhumans” has not been the only source of friction between ABC and Marvel. Earlier this year, the mandate came down from Disney for ABC to renew its other Marvel drama, “Agents of SHIELD,” despite the desire by some at the network to end the series after four seasons. Having aired on Tuesdays since its inception, “SHIELD” is shifting to Friday nights this season when “Inhumans” finishes its initial eight-episode run.

----------------
After reading that I did a little more digging and it seems Marvel TV as a whole is in flux and not in a good way. A lot of execs are mad that Defenders didn't perform like a big event series.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Marvel and ABC are butting heads with Disney playing ref. [View all] , bwood, Thu Sep-28-17 02:07 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Simply: none of that shit is good
Sep 28th 2017
I mean you right.
Sep 28th 2017
Some of the others Netflix shows were decent
Sep 29th 2017
^ pretty much. hopefully they get The Punisher right but i doubt it
Sep 29th 2017
I enjoy all the shows to different extents except IF....
Sep 29th 2017

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #725082 Previous topic | Next topic