Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #711094

Subject: "hasbro cinematic universe." Previous topic | Next topic
dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Fri Apr-22-16 08:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"hasbro cinematic universe."

Hasbro’s cinematic universe has assembled its writers room, with a Pulitzer Prize winner, an Eisner-winning comic book author and Marvel Studios scribes among those who will be clacking the keyboard.

Michael Chabon, who wrote the novel The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay and worked on Spider-Man 2; Brian K. Vaughan, the creator of seminal comic works Y: The Last Man and Saga and showrunner of Under the Dome; and Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain Marvel co-writer Nicole Perlman, will help develop a plan for the creation of an interconnected onscreen universe featuring Hasbro’s G.I. Joe, Micronauts, Visionaries, M.A.S.K. (Mobile Armored Strike Kommand) and ROM brands.

Also in the group are:

► Lindsey Beer, who was just hired to adapt Kingkiller Chronicle for Lionsgate
► Cheo Coker, showrunner of Marvel’s Netflix show Luke Cage
► John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein, the comedy writing team who penned Spider-Man: Homecoming
► Joe Robert Cole (a writer on People vs. OJ Simpson who is also writing Black Panther for Marvel)
► Jeff Pinkner, who wrote the adaptation of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower)
► Nicole Riegel (writer behind the Blacklist script Dogfight)
► Geneva Robertson (one of the writers of new Tomb Raider movie project).

Akiva Goldsman, who won an Oscar for A Beautiful Mind, will oversee the writers room on behalf of Hasbro and Paramount as well as serving as executive producer for all of the films. He is already serving in a similar capacity for Hasbro’s Transformers writers room and the new session is meant to build on its successful fruits and established road map.

Allspark Pictures, Hasbro’s film label, will produce the films based on this cross-property universe. Hasbro’s chairman and CEO Brian Goldner and executive vice president and CCO Stephen Davis are serving as producers. Josh Feldman, head of Hasbro’s storytelling, will co-exec produce.

The collective’s first meeting will be held Monday on the Paramount lot. Paramount is integrally involved with Hasbro’s cinematic universe and has been the company’s partner on the $3.8 billion grossing Transformers franchise as well as the G.I Joe movies.

Also on hand for the writers room will be Hasbro artists to help up draw up concepts and characters.

The room is diverse, with a strong concentration of black and women writers, something that is unusual not only in fanboy genre spheres but even in Hollywood circles, in which tentpoles tend to be written by a small circle of scribes.

“We first and foremost put together a list of writers who we wanted to be in business with and could be the world-builders that we needed, said Davis. “But we want to be sure that in the room we have diverse perspectives, diverse backgrounds and diverse experiences.”

For example, the properties involved in the universe, such as G.I. Joe and M.A.S.K., have traditionally skewed towards the male segment, but Hasbro wants to broaden the focus on the movies, to make them more inclusive. It’s a theme that already exists in the brands, Davis said.

“Female empowerment is a central theme through a lot of these properties and one of the reasons we wanted diverse voices,” he said.

Said Paramount Pictures chairman and CEO Brad Grey: "Bringing together a writers room of this caliber is a bold step for our partnership, and one that we believe is critical for building these brands into new, successful franchises for the future.”

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

hasbro cinematic universe. [View all] , dula dibiasi, Fri Apr-22-16 08:43 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Akiva running the show seems like a mistake.
Apr 22nd 2016
The whole thing reads like a late April Fools
Apr 23rd 2016
      It makes some sense
Apr 23rd 2016
yet another "shared universe" nobody asked for
Apr 23rd 2016
Are people even that sentimental about, like, Megatron
Apr 23rd 2016
Yes, they are.
Apr 24th 2016
      there's no way it's as big a fanbase
Apr 26th 2016
           Fam. This is not even half of a friend of mine's collection
Apr 26th 2016
                Okay, but that only accounts for G: Joe & Transformers
Apr 27th 2016
                are all those action figures buying tickets?
Apr 27th 2016
                     It really has to be a Transformers universe
Apr 27th 2016
If there's one thing Hollywood knows how to do....
Apr 24th 2016
They had me @ M.A.S.K.
Apr 25th 2016
That's how I felt
Apr 27th 2016
I was hunting old MASK episodes
Apr 27th 2016
      I remember going down the youtube hole trying to find them
May 02nd 2016
           yeah
May 09th 2016
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIb5EO10co6Y56cEN3xDXLwvMDn6HMPow
May 03rd 2016
      !!!
May 04th 2016
      Yep still good
May 05th 2016
I'm here for Visionaries
Apr 26th 2016
came looking for M.A.S.K. saw it. make me a fucking M.A.S.K. movie!!!!
Apr 27th 2016
Transformers, GI Joe, and MASK could work. COULD.
May 04th 2016
Serious question: what are all those properties anyways?
May 08th 2016
RE: Serious question: what are all those properties anyways?
May 08th 2016
      No offense to anyone here but
May 08th 2016
      I know these properties pretty well and I agree
May 08th 2016
      can we get michael bay + the g. i. joe resolute guy?
May 08th 2016
      Visionaries is one of the dopest things ever made
May 09th 2016
IDW testing the waters. Link
Jun 01st 2016
With Universal stumbling out the gate...
Jun 09th 2017
I'm not sure the 'universe' concept is a bad idea, like, ever.
Jun 12th 2017
      The problem with launching specifically *for* universe-building....
Jun 12th 2017
           I think the problem lies exclusively within poor creative choices
Jun 12th 2017
                In my eyes, it depends on the IP
Jun 12th 2017
                     I think it depends on the approach taken to adapting the IP
Jun 12th 2017
                          They just need the first couple of stories to be isolated.
Jun 12th 2017
                               Agreed. They need a concise, disciplined approach
Jun 13th 2017
chabon's one of my fav authors, but he has a checkered record
Jun 12th 2017
Hasbro announces Transformers films are getting "reset"
Feb 16th 2018
That's an excellent idea.
Feb 16th 2018
      Indeed. It's a little weird that they're stuck on making a Micronauts fi...
Feb 16th 2018
           How M.A.S.K. didn't get the nod is crazy to me
Feb 17th 2018

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #711094 Previous topic | Next topic