Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #681193

Subject: "Rebooting Predator? Whyyyyyyyy? (SWIPE)" Previous topic | Next topic
nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Tue Jun-24-14 02:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Rebooting Predator? Whyyyyyyyy? (SWIPE)"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/fox-rebooting-predator-shane-black-714598

Fox Rebooting 'Predator' With Shane Black (Exclusive)
12:23 PM PDT 6/24/2014 by Borys Kit

Eighties action classic Predator is getting the reboot treatment from Twentieth Century Fox.

But before some purists cry fowl, however, they should know that this reboot comes with an in interesting attachment: Shane Black, the venerable screenwriter behind Lethal Weapon and writer-director of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Iron Man 3.

Black will write the treatment for the project, then will hand over scripting duties to Fred Dekker, his university chum with whom he wrote 1987’s Monster Squad. Black will oversee the writing and is also attached to direct.

John Davis, who produced the original with Joel Silver and Lawrence Gordon, is producing the reboot.

Predator is the muscle-bound action 1987 movie that starred Arnold Schwarzenegger as well as Carl Weathers and Jesse Ventura as commandos being stalked in a jungle by a fearsome alien. John McTiernan directed the film, which was one of the movies that cemented Schwarzenegger’s star power.

Black actually appeared in a minor role in the original movie and how be became involved is part of Hollywood lore.

When Predator was being made in 1986, Black was already a screenwriting prodigy for his Lethal Weapon and Monster Squad scripts. The studio and producers wanted him to polish the script for Predator, which was then in pre-production. Black turned it down. A few weeks later, they approached him again. Once more, Black said no. Another few weeks went by, and then the studio called again. This time, however, he was told there was a small role in the movie and whether he would like to have it. Black said yes.

When he arrived to the South American set, the studio execs and producers greeted him and said, "By the way, would you mind taking a look at the script?" Black replied, "I’m still not rewriting it."

Fox has found ways to keep Predator alive since it's initial outing. There was a Schwarzenegger-less sequel, Predators, in 1990. Robert Rodriguez produced an installment of the franchise in 2010. Fox also combined it with its Alien franchise for a couple of Alien vs. Predator movie released in 2004 and 2007, respectively.

Fox exec Matt Reilly is overseeing the reboot. Davis Entertainment's Ira Napoliello is also overseeing.

This is proving to be a busy time for Black. He is trying to put together a cast for The Nice Guys, a 1970s crime movie that was originally earmarked for television. Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe are circling the project, which is being produced by Silver but has no home just yet, and that could shoot this fall.

Black is also is very actively developing Doc Savage, the adaptation of the 1930s pulp hero for Sony. He recently met with Chris Hemsworth for the title role but it’s unclear when that project would shoot since it’s still grappling with budgetary issues. Sony, however, does consider Savage one of its priorities.

Black is repped by WME, GreenLit Creative and Bloom Hergott.

Dekker, who directed Monster Squad as well as Robocop 3, is also repped by WME.

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Rebooting Predator? Whyyyyyyyy? (SWIPE) [View all] , nipsey, Tue Jun-24-14 02:47 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Well, Shane Black is involved. So that's good
Jun 24th 2014
Black and Dekker!? I'm in!
Jun 24th 2014
They would have made a killer production team in the late 80's
Jun 24th 2014
      Right? How did they not use it on MONSTER SQUAD?
Jun 24th 2014
Because Fox owns it all
Jun 24th 2014
Fox got like 17 more "Avatars" coming out!
Jun 24th 2014
I have no problem with rebooting the series.
Jun 24th 2014
eh, why not
Jun 24th 2014
Cool but I want a Kiss Kiss Bang Bang sequel
Jun 25th 2014
Honestly, they should do a Predators 2 with Arnold on that planet.
Jun 25th 2014
Well Arnold was supposed to play Fish's part from the first one
Jun 25th 2014
Oh I know, that would have been great.
Jun 26th 2014
I thought Brody was great actually
Jun 28th 2014
Shane Black says no reboot, it's a sequel
Jun 25th 2014
nice--
Jun 26th 2014
Love Shane Black.
Jun 26th 2014
thank fuck for that and for Shane Black
Jun 27th 2014
That's definitely more encouraging
Jun 28th 2014
i must be one of the few that liked Predators
Jun 26th 2014
I enjoyed "Predators" as well!
Jun 26th 2014
gotta disagree
Jul 04th 2014
      RE: gotta disagree
Jul 05th 2014
I thought it was good fun.
Jun 27th 2014
you are not alone - MJ (c)
Jun 28th 2014
why don't they just let arnold reprise his same character and continue
Jun 27th 2014
!!!
Jun 28th 2014
Because it's time to fuck up your childhood now
Jun 30th 2014
because hollywood's been outta ideas for a hot minute
Jul 05th 2014
Can y'all stop saying this shit?
Jul 05th 2014
      aight, leme rephrase: hollywood is married to the SAME ideas (rantish)
Jul 05th 2014
           yeah, no. It's just about money.
Jul 05th 2014

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #681193 Previous topic | Next topic