Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #659193

Subject: "Parkland (Landesman) - Giamatti, Efron, Thornton, Duplass, Livingston.." Previous topic | Next topic
dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10701 posts
Mon Sep-09-13 10:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "Parkland (Landesman) - Giamatti, Efron, Thornton, Duplass, Livingston.."
In response to In response to 0
Mon Sep-09-13 10:07 AM by dgonsh

Saw Parkland yesterday. It's very good. It tackles the JFK assassination from a very behind the scenes standpoint. It takes the perspective of the people behind the president, and also the people behind Lee Harvey.

Landesman has a voice in the film. He really enjoys showing the difference between tragedy documentation 50 years ago vs. today. The cat and mouse game for simply finding a processing office that could develop the film from the camera that Giamatti's character used to document the assassination. Stark difference from the instant Vine's that popped up in the Boston Marathon days.

Efron is fine in his role as a young doc at Parkland Hospital. He's the only character in the film I felt may have been miscast. Perhaps being surrounded by such a laundry list of brilliant actors was the problem. He just came off as too...modern. I didn't see him as a doc in 1963 like I saw Colin Hanks as his superior or as Marcia Gay Harden's nurse. He looked like Zac Efron with the 5 o'clock shadow.

The real star of this movie in my opinion James Badge Dale. He continues his decade of brilliant character roles in Parkland. I won't say anything about his role, because after the movie when talking to my gf, she didn't realize something about Dale's role that I did realize having seen the trailer. She did not see the trailer.

Anyway, its a solid flick. Landesman mentioned in his Q&A after the flick that he has no qualms about telling conspiracy theorists to essentially fuck off and that there is no conspiracy. Some of the conspiracy theorist questionnaires in the audience seemed a little offended by how lax he was about telling them they're respectfully full of shit. He also said he loves Oliver Stone and loves his JFK, but frankly, he was wrong. It was a very refreshing Q&A and I'd love to see more from Landsman in the future.

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) 2013 Post [View all] , wrecknoble, Mon Aug-26-13 11:44 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
So envious. So, so, so envious.
Aug 26th 2013
Lol don't be but do tell me which of the above
Aug 27th 2013
      Mandela, The Past, Blue is the Warmest Color, Labor Day
Aug 28th 2013
           RE: Mandela, The Past, Blue is the Warmest Color, Labor Day
Sep 09th 2013
im going to see Top Gun lol
Aug 27th 2013
I was thinking of seeing some of the older films but
Aug 27th 2013
      i didnt buy tickets or have time to sit down and look through
Sep 07th 2013
Getting them general public tickets.
Aug 28th 2013
I got tix to Parkland, Railway Man, and Enough Said
Aug 30th 2013
I really liked Please Give
Aug 31st 2013
nice, let's check-in here after we see the films
Sep 03rd 2013
Update: got August: Osage County tickets now too :)
Sep 03rd 2013
Real interested to hear about this one.
Sep 03rd 2013
      word, i haven't seen the play
Sep 03rd 2013
Sep 06th 2013
Sep 08th 2013
      Okay, I lied.
Sep 09th 2013
Railway Man (Teplitzky) With Colin Firth/Kidman/Stellan Skarsgard
Sep 08th 2013

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #659193 Previous topic | Next topic