Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #504689

Subject: "Is Mark Millar and John Romita, Jr.'s Kick-Ass racist?" Previous topic | Next topic
Vaiops2wega
Member since Jul 01st 2002
2361 posts
Sun Feb-21-10 02:57 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Is Mark Millar and John Romita, Jr.'s Kick-Ass racist?"

Here's an article by Douglas Wolk on the creepy race issues within the comic. I think he's reaching a bit with this, but his criticism certainly isn't unfounded. Click the link on the bottom to read the whole article

I’d like to skip over the problematic actual plot of Kick-Ass here, in part because other people have addressed some of its more dubious elements, but I can’t let its conclusion’s racial politics pass without comment. Dave’s ultimate two-part humiliation in the story’s coda is that the girl he likes is having sex with his (black) schoolmate (“I whacked off at that picture while crying, some nights,” he tells us), and his dad is having sex—on panel, no less—with a (black) woman Dave had tried to rescue earlier. Now, you can look at that two different ways. The less charitable one is that Millar is suggesting that everybody knows that’s the worst thing that could possibly happen to a white kid, and therefore we get to laugh at Dave. Millar’s too smart for that, I think (I hope). The subtler possibility is that since Dave is explicitly presented as a stand-in for the archetypal fanboy—the not-a-jock, not-a-brainiac loser who stocks up on comics every Wednesday—and that since (Millar is suggesting) fanboys are racist pricks, this is what Dave considers the worst thing that could possibly happen to him, and therefore we get to laugh at Dave. That’s a kinder interpretation; it only suggests that Millar is asking his audience to hold themselves in contempt.

http://techland.com/2010/02/19/emanata-hi-kids-do-you-like-violence/

“You do Coach bags, I do kush bags, you a douchebag, I’m the truth fag/share greedy, ya’ll niggas get scared easy, queer like multiple pairs of Air Yeezys” - Sean Price

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Is Mark Millar and John Romita, Jr.'s Kick-Ass racist? [View all] , Vaiops2wega, Sun Feb-21-10 02:57 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Yeah, i don't see it
Feb 21st 2010
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Feb 21st 2010
gaaaaaaahhd yall will try to find racism in everything.
Feb 21st 2010
RE: gaaaaaaahhd yall will try to find racism in everything.
Feb 21st 2010
Yeah it's pretty annoying.
Feb 21st 2010
I don't know about y'all....
Feb 21st 2010
So basically this writer is getting his Scorsesse on. Got it.
Mar 30th 2010
more tarantino imo.
Mar 30th 2010
i said that same shit when i read the comic.
Mar 30th 2010
Millar's kinda a hack, guys
Mar 30th 2010
I agreee.
Mar 31st 2010
Millar's is a habitual line stepper
Mar 31st 2010
GOOD LORD.
Mar 31st 2010

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #504689 Previous topic | Next topic