Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #491315

Subject: "travers' top 10 of the decade: surprisingly good" Previous topic | Next topic
dula dos pistolas
Member since Sep 12th 2006
3295 posts
Sun Dec-13-09 02:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"travers' top 10 of the decade: surprisingly good"

i can't really argue w/ any of his choices. you could nitpick the order, of course - his #3 is my #1 of the '00s, and i'd definitely rank #7 + #5 higher - but i thoroughly enjoyed every one of these.

http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/gallery/31234572/peter_travers_10_best_movies_of_t

Peter Travers' 10 Best Movies of the Decade

These are the 10 that deepened with time and dug their way into your head and heart.

10. THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TRILOGY

OK, I'm cheating, it's three movies. But how can you separate one from the others? Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings, from the J.R.R. Tolkien books, is an amazement that no epic released in the past 10 years can equal, much less surpass in size and scope. Hobbits, wizards, dark lords all roamed fictional Middle-Earth as Frodo (Elijah Wood) labored to destroy the One Ring in Mount Doom. Gollum, the spindly, scary, schizoid, computer-generated villain, voiced by Andy Serkis, entered the global conversation. At dec­ade's end, that conversation shows no sign of stopping.

9. MYSTIC RIVER

Clint Eastwood, 80, blew through the decade on a creative high, directing the diverse likes of Million Dollar Baby, Flags of Our Fathers, Letters From Iwo Jima, Changeling, Gran Torino and Invictus. But the 2003 film that I believe stands with his 1992 Western masterpiece, Unforgiven, is Mystic River. Everything Eastwood knows about filmmaking and living is poured into this fierce drama about friends who grew up together in working-class Boston. Now, driven by guilt and anger, their bonds are severed. Tim Robbins and Sean Penn, at his brilliant best, deservedly won Oscars for their acting. But it's the startling power and intimacy that Eastwood invests in this tale that takes a piece out of you.

8. THE DEPARTED

Martin Scorsese finally won his Oscar for this crime classic that some felt was too old-school to be profound. Watch it again, doubters, and this time pay attention. By casting Leonardo DiCaprio as a cop pretending to be a hood and Matt Damon doing the opposite, Scorsese hit us with harsh glimpses of how corruption starts in childhood. Damon's character was hooked at 12 when a local hood (Jack Nicholson in full Jack glory) bought him off with groceries. This uncompromised vision of a society rotting from inside remains a triumphant bruiser of a film. Even in a decade when Scorsese scored with Gangs of New York and The Aviator, The Departed was his personal best.

7. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN

The late Heath Ledger helped define the decade as the Joker in The Dark Knight. But for me, the Ledger role that will endure is Ennis Del Mar, the married Wyoming ranch hand daring a forbidden love (it's 1963) with rodeo rider Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) in Ang Lee's Brokeback Mountain. The Taiwanese director of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon walked volatile ground with this adaptation of Annie Proulx's story. But Ledger gave the film its soul. He didn't just know how Ennis moved, spoke and listened; he knew how he breathed. Seeing him inhale the scent of a shirt hanging in Jack's closet is a scene that pierced your heart. This landmark movie did the same.

6. THE INCREDIBLES

Of all the Pixar miracles studded through the decade, The Incredibles still delights me the most. It's not every toon that deals with midlife crisis, marital dysfunction, child neglect, impotence fears, fashion faux pas and existential angst. Created by Brad Bird, the film advanced animation by forgoing the usual talking animals and focusing on humans — in this case, a family of retired superheroes. A short, sassy ball of fire named Edna Mode (Bird does her voice, hilariously), the guru of fashion insults, designed the indestructible costumes. Skeptics who thought the movie was too PG-dark to be a mainstream hit can eat their words now. The Incredibles didn't ring cartoonish, it rang true.

5. NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

Set in 1980 in West Texas, where the chase is on for stolen drug money, No Country for Old Men — which won a Best Picture Oscar for the Coen brothers — was a literate meditation on America's blood lust for the easy fix. Javier Bardem also took home a golden boy for playing Death in the form of a killer with a stupendously bad haircut. Adapting the novel by Cormac McCarthy, the Coens worked fresh territory by tackling good and evil with a rigorous fix on the complexities involved. With their gallows humor always in evidence, the Coens crafted a movie that carried in its bones the virus of what we've become, a movie that forced us to look into an abyss of our own making.

4. A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE

Is Canadian director David Cronenberg the most unsung maverick artist in movies? Bet on it. I could have picked 2007's Eastern Promises to prove my point. But I'm going with 2005's A History of Violence — both films starred Viggo Mortensen at his best — because it just slammed me with its subversive wit. Things look normal in the small town where a reformed hit man (Mortensen) runs the diner and runs home to his hot wife (Maria Bello). Then the past shows up. Cronenberg knows violence is wired into our DNA. His film showed how we secretly crave what we publicly condemn. This is potent poison for a thriller, and unadulterated, unforgettable Cronenberg.

3. MULHOLLAND DRIVE

There was no better movie this decade to get lost in — with or without controlled substances — than David Lynch's dark, dazzling mood piece about an amnesiac (Laura Harring) and a wanna-be actress (Naomi Watts) who link up to solve a murder in the city of bruised angels. Smart viewers didn't worry about negotiating the plot. They just surrendered to his film's visionary daring and swooning eroticism. OK, some just got off seeing Watts and Harring rub titties. But as identities shifted and the world was thrown out of balance, Lynch cemented his rep as a cinema poet. You can still discover a lot about yourself watching Mulholland Drive. It grips you like a dream that won't let go.

2. CHILDREN OF MEN

I thought director Alfonso Cuarón's film of P.D. James' futuristic political-fable novel was good when it opened in 2006. After repeated viewings, I know Children of Men is indisputably great. A hypnotic Clive Owen starred as a resistance leader pinning his hopes on the last pregnant woman on Earth. Is it possible to capture the terrible absence of a world without children? Cuarón did it. No movie this decade was more redolent of sorrowful beauty and exhilarating action. You don't just watch the car ambush scene (pure camera wizardry) — you live inside it. That's Cuarón's magic: He makes you believe.

1. THERE WILL BE BLOOD

Two years after first seeing There Will Be Blood, I am convinced that Paul Thomas Anderson's profound portrait of an American primitive — take that, Citizen Kane — deserves pride of place among the decade's finest. Daniel Day-Lewis gave the best and ballsiest performance of the past 10 years. As Daniel Plainview, a prospector who loots the land of its natural resources in silver and oil to fill his pockets and gargantuan ego, he showed us a man draining his humanity for power. And Anderson, having extended Plainview's rage from Earth to heaven in the form of a corrupt preacher (Paul Dano), managed to "drink the milkshake" of other risk-taking directors. If I had to stake the future of film in the next decade on one filmmaker, I'd go with PTA. Even more than Boogie Nights and Magnolia — his rebel cries from the 1990s — Blood let Anderson put technology at the service of character. The score by Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood was a sonic explosion that reinvented what film music could be. And the images captured by Robert Elswit, a genius of camera and lighting, made visual poetry out of an oil well consumed by flame. For the final word on Blood, I'll quote Plainview: "It was one goddamn hell of a show."

___

low end crazy, eastside crazy, wild hunnids crazy, englewood crazy.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

travers' top 10 of the decade: surprisingly good [View all] , dula dos pistolas, Sun Dec-13-09 02:56 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Mystic River wouldn't even make my Top 50.
Dec 13th 2009
same with "Mulholland Drive" for me.
Dec 13th 2009
co-sign again.
Dec 14th 2009
co-sign
Dec 14th 2009
Dec 15th 2009
He should have did the opposite Eastern Promises over AHOV all day
Dec 13th 2009
agreed
Dec 14th 2009
      agreed.
Dec 17th 2009
I'd like Travers (or any critic) discuss the effects of time
Dec 13th 2009
i mean, i'd be interested in hearing his reasons too...
Dec 20th 2009
      Yeah, it's natural to change your opinion
Dec 20th 2009
Mystic River.......GOOD!!!
Dec 13th 2009
Until the... ENDING!!
Dec 13th 2009
      Read the book.
Dec 13th 2009
      If I have to read a book to like the movie version, then it's not Top 10...
Dec 13th 2009
           Just saying the ending is faithful to the book.
Dec 13th 2009
           Why would how good the book was preidcate whether the film...
Dec 14th 2009
                I said the film wasn't good. He told me to read the book.
Dec 15th 2009
                     It made more sense if you read the book.
Dec 22nd 2009
      doesn't discredit the.....FIRST 2 HOURS OF THE MOVIE!!!!!
Dec 13th 2009
      And the ending.... ISN'T EVEN BAD.
Dec 14th 2009
           yeah they are
Dec 15th 2009
      the ending makes sense & works fine.
Dec 15th 2009
RE: travers' top 10 of the decade: surprisingly good
Dec 13th 2009
okay with it other than the Departed
Dec 13th 2009
Has he never seen In the Mood for Love?
Dec 13th 2009
Lol American mainstream publications don't praise subtitled films
Dec 19th 2009
My list better
Dec 13th 2009
^^^ too much artsy, not enough fartsy.
Dec 13th 2009
      and I already know your list will be too much fartsy, soooo
Dec 13th 2009
i've seen 2 LOTR movies, the incredibles, and mystic river
Dec 13th 2009
i think my favorites are:
Dec 13th 2009
yeah, when i first read the list...
Dec 14th 2009
do we have an official top 10 of the decade post yet?
Dec 13th 2009
I PM'd Sponge about waiting until the major Oscar bait came out...
Dec 13th 2009
I volunteered to compile one for the archives around next April-June
Dec 14th 2009
Nah, I like waiting. Your rationale is spot on.
Dec 14th 2009
It's odd that I have no conception of what the best of film
Dec 14th 2009
      No Country For Old Men is a pretty firm #1 IMO
Dec 16th 2009
Completely typical
Dec 14th 2009
Love seeing Children Of Men @ 2, but I HATED history of violence
Dec 14th 2009
who doesn't have
Dec 14th 2009
i'll give him DDL's performance as the best of the decade
Dec 15th 2009
i put these four in my top 10, not sure what the other six are yet
Dec 15th 2009
25th Hour is in my top 10 as well
Dec 17th 2009
sooooooo... AHoV + MR are the major objections?
Dec 15th 2009
AO Scott and Michael Phillips' lists so far are a bit strange.
Dec 15th 2009
i repeat: i really don't get you guys sometimes.
Dec 15th 2009
Minority Report?
Dec 15th 2009
      Minority Report gets better every time I see it.
Dec 15th 2009
      Minority Report would have been a fine, fine film
Dec 15th 2009
           Agreed. If Mystic River loses points for its ending...
Dec 15th 2009
      "amazed"?
Dec 16th 2009
           Then why feel the need to state and repeat that you don't get people
Dec 16th 2009
I LOVE the Phillips list...although I haven't seen Climates n/m
Dec 17th 2009
I dunno what my top 10 is.
Dec 15th 2009
Very good list.
Dec 16th 2009
American Splendor wouldn't make my top 10 but it was a great flick
Dec 17th 2009
DON'T FIGURE YOUR LISTS YET! WAIT TIL JANUARY 1st! lol
Dec 15th 2009
My only problem are...
Dec 15th 2009
Onion AV Club List
Dec 16th 2009
London Times
Dec 16th 2009
fuck me! I forgot about Cache!
Dec 16th 2009
      I was going to say, I didn't know you wrote for London Times.
Dec 17th 2009
           On the other hand, Code Unknown is one of the worst movies
Dec 17th 2009
#1 to a movie that didn't even have a plot. okay.
Dec 16th 2009
And people rave about the score, but it was actually quite
Dec 16th 2009
^^^^^ Hasn't seen The Shining
Dec 19th 2009
there's more of a story than a plot, if that makes sense
Dec 16th 2009
Slate magazine's Aught-O-Matic: interactive top 10 list (link)
Dec 17th 2009
I can't see anyone beating Richard Brody for Worst List of the Decade
Dec 17th 2009
      I was gonna say
Dec 17th 2009
           I liked Cassandra's Dream but any list with Irreversable on it sucks
Dec 17th 2009
PTP favorites, the Entertainment Weekly film critics
Dec 19th 2009
Those are the year's best; here's the decade's best
Dec 19th 2009
      those ppl need to be kicked in the balls
Dec 19th 2009
      For EW I don't hate that list
Dec 19th 2009
      Actually, here are their film critics' lists
Jan 01st 2010
I know we're waiting til Jan1st. but i couldnt wait
Dec 19th 2009
Am I the only one who thinks The Incredibles was overrated?
Dec 20th 2009
no
Jan 09th 2010
Slate magazine's Dana Stevens (and yes, this is the DECADE list)
Dec 22nd 2009
*text messages in my pocket*
Dec 22nd 2009
Indiewire and Metacritic
Dec 22nd 2009
both those list are very white and
Jan 11th 2010
      as someone who's used to kneejerk-calling white on everything lol
Jan 11th 2010
Ebert's best of the decade
Dec 31st 2009
Interesting struggle of the critic.
Dec 31st 2009
I kind of hate his list, but I love his inclusion of The Son
Dec 31st 2009
      And I didn't see Synechdoche on that list.
Dec 31st 2009

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #491315 Previous topic | Next topic