Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3004504

Subject: "OK metalheads assemble:how do we feel about Sleep's the Sciences?*" Previous topic | Next topic
Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Wed Apr-25-18 04:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"OK metalheads assemble:how do we feel about Sleep's the Sciences?*"

While I'm awfully tired of stoner/sludge/doom acts-who seem to get by more due to gear and a "crushing" *sound* than strong musical ideas-Sleep is one of the OGs (well, as OG as you can get when trying to sound like *that* band in the 90's) and I think this new record is shit-hot, in many ways their most perfect album in the sense that it manage to combine the crushing sound of the stellar but "difficult"/artsy-fartsy Dopesmoker/Jerusalem epic with the more compact, Sabbath-groovy songs from "holy mountain" which was based on demos and sounded accordingly (=thin). Good shit if you ask me with some absolutely killer riffs (good riffs was this bands strongest suit alongside the fat rhythm-section, old drummer has been replaced by dude from Neurosis which made me worried but new dude delivers the goods, less groove than on "holy Mountain" though). "Giza butler" is my jam... Tiny minus points (?) for not containing any lyrics as brilliantly stupid as "Drop out of life with bong in hand/follow the smoke toward the riff-filled land"...

*and apologies to binlahab for ripping off his posting-style, I just couldn't help it...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

OK metalheads assemble:how do we feel about Sleep's the Sciences?* [View all] , Jakob Hellberg, Wed Apr-25-18 04:19 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Its fantastic
Apr 27th 2018
Nothing wrong with Neurosis...
Apr 27th 2018
haven't heard it yet but Sleep usually hits the mark.. I met Matt Pike
Apr 27th 2018

Lobby The Lesson topic #3004504 Previous topic | Next topic