Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3001625

Subject: "Rage Against the Machine - First Listen" Previous topic | Next topic
mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Thu Feb-15-18 04:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Rage Against the Machine - First Listen"

so i finally got around to listening to their discography and figured i would share my thoughts. a bit of background, i had heard some of their songs here and there but never had any on a playlist or anything. pretty much only on radio or if someone was listening to them.

i mostly like rap and older rock (60's and 70's). my musical taste has been described as very chill.

overall their music is pretty much what i expected. as a whole it is good but maybe just not my thing. there are definitely some songs that will stay in rotation but not quite sure which yet. i ended up splitting their music into three days as that's all the time i had. i think this was to their advantage. i will say that their music is very repetitive. i probably would had started skipping songs if i tried to do it all in one day.

i think their run was good though, they put out just enough music to satisfy but not too much that you got over them. i don't dislike zack but i think he did get tiring, no 81 dun.

Ratings: i think i was very nice and expect that they will lower with more time by .5 stars on average but we will see.

Rage Against the Machine - 4.25
Evil Empire - 4.25
Live & Rare - 3.50
The Battle of Los Angeles - 3.75
Renegades - 3.75
Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium - 4.50

I think Live was a great way to finish for them. I started listening to that album a bit tired of them but by the time Killing in the Name came on i was all in.

Stand outs after one listen:
Killing in the Name
Fistful of Steel
Freedom
Bulls on Parade (might be more on name recognition tbh)
Revolver
Wind Below
Year of the Boomerang
Calm Like a Bomb
Born of a Broken Man

I added most of their songs to my daily playlist so i expect to hear them randomly for a few months then i might revisit the albums.

Right now im debating checking out audioslave or prophets of rage. will probably do both but not sure which first.

then im thinking of checking out at the drive in/mars volta/etc. etc. being from el paso i think i need to at least give them a listen at some point.

glad to answer any questions and would like to hear OKPs thoughts on them. a lot of reviews on rateyourmusic seem to say they got tired of ratm and can't believe they were so into them in college.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Rage Against the Machine - First Listen [View all] , mista k5, Thu Feb-15-18 04:05 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Rage
Feb 15th 2018
as for audioslave and prophets
Feb 15th 2018
what do you think of One Day as a Lion
Feb 15th 2018
      That I was feeling
Feb 15th 2018
           i feel i need to re-listen just to be thorough
Feb 15th 2018
                yeah do it if for no other reason than to put it in context
Feb 15th 2018
im housin is dope, i think i liked the live version best
Feb 15th 2018
I tend to agree with you.
Feb 15th 2018
      i think im enjoying the songs more in the car
Feb 16th 2018
Their best was first got progressively worse
Feb 16th 2018
Audioslave
Feb 19th 2018
One Day as a Lion
Feb 19th 2018
basically.
Feb 19th 2018
for a long time I swore that the self-titled was their best
Feb 19th 2018
Street Sweeper Social Club
Feb 19th 2018
Prophets of Rage
Feb 20th 2018
Rage is sick! I love the DX theme they did for Wwe.
Feb 20th 2018
Tom Morello is The Nightwatchman
Feb 21st 2018
definitely will check this out
Feb 21st 2018
Damn I didn't know Rage did the X Pac theme this is sick!!!! Link
Feb 21st 2018
For good or bad, they captured a time and place in the culture
Feb 24th 2018

Lobby The Lesson topic #3001625 Previous topic | Next topic