Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2995730

Subject: "On Elton John (Catapult Essay)" Previous topic | Next topic
mackmike
Member since Jan 27th 2005
499 posts
Wed Sep-20-17 08:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"On Elton John (Catapult Essay)"

Walking down St. Mark’s Place recently, a car drove past blasting Elton John’s 1974 single “Bennie and the Jets.” Stopping at the red light, the middle-aged driver sang loudly and pretended that the steering wheel was a piano as I wondered if my used-to-be-favorite singer was dead. Back in April, it was reported that Elton was canceling tour dates because of a “harmful and unusual bacterial infection” he’d caught in South America. With so many of my musical idols—Cynthia Robinson, David Bowie, Prince, George Michael, Maurice White—dying in the last few years, it was possible that seventy-year-old Sir Elton would be the next star strutting through the pearly gates of Pop Star Heaven.

“Not another one,” I sighed, reaching into my jeans pocket to retrieve my phone.

https://catapult.co/stories/their-songs-the-ballad-of-elton-john-and-bernie-taupin

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Lobby The Lesson topic #2995730 Previous topic | Next topic