Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2994762

Subject: "Anyone listen to DAMN. backwards? (AV Club swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Sun Aug-27-17 05:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Anyone listen to DAMN. backwards? (AV Club swipe)"

The album flows a lot smoother played backwards. I haven't tried to make out the themes and how they fit relative to the original listing. But it's worth experiencing at least once.

http://www.avclub.com/kendrick-lamar-says-damn-was-meant-to-be-played-backwar-1798439375

GREAT JOB INTERNET
Kendrick Lamar says Damn was meant to be played backwards, and it rules that way

Clayton Purdom
Friday 2:15pmFiled to: GREAT JOB

2017 has already seen a bumper crop of great rap records, from Future, Jay-Z, Vince Staples, 2 Chainz, MIKE, Starlito & Don Trip, and many more, but when the dust settles, Kendrick Lamar’s Damn may outshine them all. Despite its stripped, back-to-basics aesthetic and spartan first single, it’s a deceptively rich song set, full of themes that slowly develop and a clear-cut narrative that unfolds into a shaggy-dog twist. When it first came out, people seemingly wanted more from Kendrick, and so began a conspiracy theory around a second album, an Easter Sunday release called Nation that would complement Damn’s Good Friday release. It never happened, because these sort of internet conspiracy theories pretty much never do.

But a lower-key theory—that the album functioned as an equally cohesive statement when played back-to-front—still lingered, and in a new interview with MTV News, Lamar confirmed it.

“It plays as a full story and even a better rhythm. It’s one of my favorite rhythms and tempos within the album. It’s something that we definitely premeditate while we’re in the studio. I don’t think the story necessarily changes, I think the feel changes. The initial vibe listening from the top all the way to the bottom is ... this aggression and this attitude. You know, ‘DNA,’ and exposing who I really am. You listen from the back end, and it’s almost the duality and the contrast of the intricate Kendrick Lamar. Both of these pieces are who I am.”

And guess what? It fucking rules that way! “Duckworth” bangs as an opener, “DNA” is a great late-album tempo pick-up, “Lust” leads into “Humble” beautifully, and the whole thing’s worth a damn re-listen. These sort of secret methods of listening to records are always fun, if totally spurious, ranging in quality from “Dark Side Of Oz” to the insane belief that you’re supposed to two copies of Kid A synced 17 seconds apart. (Get high first?) But an intentionally designed alternate version of listening to a record is pretty rare, and anyway, a good enough excuse to revisit the record on a Friday afternoon.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Anyone listen to DAMN. backwards? (AV Club swipe) [View all] , obsidianchrysalis, Sun Aug-27-17 05:50 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Here's a Spotify playlist if you need one
Aug 27th 2017
I didn't agree when people talked about it then, but cool
Aug 27th 2017
Disjointed musically or thematically?
Aug 27th 2017
The (normal) end of the album has the songs I don't like.
Aug 27th 2017
Cool, I guess
Aug 29th 2017
and then people would say "you should play it backwards" too
Aug 31st 2017
Wait so you just reverse the order?..
Aug 31st 2017
The songs seem to have a chronology that reveals itself in reverse....
Sep 02nd 2017

Lobby The Lesson topic #2994762 Previous topic | Next topic