Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2993867

Subject: "The Official TV One Unsung Thread" Previous topic | Next topic
BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Fri Jul-28-17 05:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Official TV One Unsung Thread"
Fri Jul-28-17 05:55 PM by BlakStaar

TV One debuted this amazing series damn near 10 years ago in fall 2008. I can't believe it's been that long, but I'm glad the franchise is still around and expanding.

List of all 11 seasons here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unsung_episodes

I love that there's an "Unsung Hollywood" (Cooley High, Pam Grier, A Different World...) and subgenre-themed shows, like the House and Disco joints.

There's also an Unsung film franchise. "Love Under New Management: The Miki Howard Story" debuted last year. This fall we're supposed to be getting a Debarge movie, "All This Love: The Debarge Family Story."

After watching several dozen episodes over the years, I got some questions.

1. Do you feel the series has fallen off track in terms of focusing on artists that are truly "unsung"?

Like, are Next and Jagged Edge really "unsung"? I know the definition of "unsung" is subjective. For the record, I'm not mad at the aforementioned episodes because I love a good documentary. For example, I never thought of H-Town as "unsung," but I loved the H-Town episode! The people they interviewed were entertaining, including Shazam!

To me, the first few seasons set the bar mad high. Donny Hathaway. Phyllis Hyman. Debarge. Minnie Riperton. Zapp & Roger. Angela Winbush.

Sheeiit.

It's much harder to debate that these artists are NOT unsung compared to Next ("Baby when we're grinding" / I get so excited...Ooh how I like it, I try but I can't fight it")

One thing I appreciate about the series is that they're expanding into newer decades. While I'm generally more interested in the 70s and 80s artists, I was soooo happy to see the Mint Condition episode, my favorite boy band of all time.

2. Did the series put you on to artists that you didn't know about, overlooked or only knew about on a casual level?

I'm showing my age here (post-1985 80s baby) but I'd never heard of Sylvester. And although I always knew about Troop's big hits, like "Spread My Wings," and their J5 cover of "All I Do Is Think Of You," I was never really into them. Now I listen to their first two albums all the time. More than anything, the Troop episode made me realize how fucking amazing Chuckii Booker is...dude needs an Unsung episode STAT.

3. Disappointing episodes so far?

I can't think of any off bat but I was disappointed the Atlantic Starr episode didn't mention some of their bigger hits. To be fair, it was probably a copyright and/or budget obstacle. This brings me to No. 4...

4. Do you think this series would be better on BET? I feel like BET/Viacom has more resources (mainly, $$$ resources) than TV One/Urban One, which is black-owned.

I don't even think Comcast has that 48-49% stake in the company anymore. Then again, I'm wondering if BET is too mainstream to really give an artist like Miki Howard and Freddie Jackson the time of day. I'm sure the forthcoming Debarge movie probably won't have the same budget as 1/3 of the BET New Edition movie. I still haven't seen the Miki Howard biopic. Hopefully, it wasn't Lifetime quality.

5. Who is deserving of an Unsung episode but hasn't been featured?

I know some artists have been approached and were like, "No, thanks." Stephanie Mills is one of them. Heavy D got an episode but it is my understanding he wasn't interested when he was alive.

6. Those of you familiar with copyright law, music licensing, digital TV episodes, DVD production--what would keep a series like this from being made available for purchase on Google Play, iTunes, Amazon and/or from being released on DVD?

FYI: New episodes for summer 2017. Season 11.
Wyclef (July 9)
Jagged Edge (July 9)
Marvin Sapp (July 16)
Switch (July 23)
The Dramatics (July 30)
Shanice (August 6)
Ice-T (August 13)

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

The Official TV One Unsung Thread [View all] , BlakStaar, Fri Jul-28-17 05:42 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: The Official TV One Unsung Thread
Jul 28th 2017
Jul 29th 2017
Add Karyn White
Jul 28th 2017
Me'shell Ndege'Ocello
Jul 28th 2017
that would be a good one
Jul 28th 2017
nice list
Jul 29th 2017
yeah, you KNOW I'm voting for THIS one :)
Jul 29th 2017
The Dramatics aired tonight
Jul 30th 2017
I've fallen so far behind but that's a good thing.
Jul 31st 2017
Jul 31st 2017
Mar 01st 2018
Trick Daddy...
Mar 01st 2018
This show has fallen off soo bad
Mar 01st 2018
TV One just announced the new season lineup (S14):
Feb 20th 2019
More Shows & Still Going In The Wrong Direction
Feb 20th 2019
I agree with you
Feb 21st 2019
      add these to the wish list as well
Feb 22nd 2019
      Now You're Talking
Feb 23rd 2019
           RE: Now You're Talking
Feb 24th 2019
There's a Christopher Williams ep coming...
Feb 22nd 2019
That's a janky list, but Tasha Cobbs, you gotta be shitting me.
Feb 22nd 2019
New Season - Al Jarreau, Goodie Mob, Dru Hill, Christopher Williams, et ...
Mar 08th 2020
this show has fallen off so bad
Mar 09th 2020
Disappointing season so far!
Mar 09th 2020
RE: Disappointing season so far!
Mar 14th 2020
is this streaming anywhere yet? nm
Mar 09th 2020
RE: is this streaming anywhere yet? nm
Mar 09th 2020
      RE: is this streaming anywhere yet? nm UPDATE