Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2992141

Subject: "Russel Simmons to do a movie about the show - vibe and OKP swipe" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13966 posts
Wed Jul-12-17 12:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "Russel Simmons to do a movie about the show - vibe and OKP swipe"
In response to In response to 0

https://www.vibe.com/2017/07/russell-simmons-eric-b-rakim-film-apollo-concert/

Russell Simmons Readies Film On Eric B. & Rakim’s Historic Reunion Concert

News

Camille Augustin @JadoreCamille | July 12, 2017 - 11:50 am

The everlasting Apollo Theater added to its lineage of historic moments when hip-hop influencers Eric B. & Rakim reunited for the 30th anniversary of their best-selling album, Paid in Full (July 7). The concert garnered a packed crowd that also got to experience the sounds of Slick Rick, EPMD, Al B. Sure!, Roxanne Shante and more.

If you weren’t able to catch the “Juice (Know The Ledge)” artists in the flesh, Russell Simmons has you covered. According to Billboard, the famed record executive plans to turn the concert into a film/documentary under his All Def Digital banner and video streaming service, Sessions X.

“I’m thrilled that the world, and a new generation, will have the opportunity to witness the creative spark that Eric B. and Rakim lit in hip hop,” Simmons said. “The duo moved the culture forward, and DJs and MCs to this day stand on their shoulders. I’m honored to work again with these great artists.”

Released in 1987, Paid in Full supported the marriage between hip-hop and the use of classic soul/funk samples from artists like James Brown. Singles that found homes on various Billboard charts included “Eric B. Is President,” “I Ain’t No Joke,” “I Know You Got Soul,” and the album’s title track.

In a previous interview with HOT97, Rakim shared his surprise behind the album’s enduring influence. “As cocky as the rhymes sounded I never thought they would have an impact like this,” he said. “It’s a blessing to not only be a part of the game and this legendary status, but to be here 30 years later and have a show and everyone come down and enjoy themselves.”

----------------------=

http://www.okayplayer.com/music/eric-b-rakim-russell-simmons-concert.html

Russell Simmons to Executive Produce Eric B. & Rakim's Concert Film

POSTED BY DIMAS SANFIORENZO 1 MIN AGO

Last Friday, Eric B & Rakim reunited at Harlem’s Apollo Theater.
There, they celebrated the 30th anniversary of Paid in Full, by performing together for the first time in 20 years.

The show was one for the ages; there were appearances from EPMD, Ice T, Slick Rick, Fat Joe, Kid Capri, Mase, Kool Herc, and Roxanne Shanté.

The show was so great that a concert film and documentary is being developed around the night. The documentary will be produced by Russell Simmons, who will be partnering up his All Def Digital brand with Sessions X, an on demand video streaming app, and Talsa Media.

Billboard broke the story of the documentary. In a statement released by Eric B, the legendary DJ said:

“With (agent) Cara Lewis handling the show, Russell managing the film and all of our friends joining us on our homestage of the Apollo, we really got the Paid in Full Posse back together for an amazing night celebrating the culture of Hip Hop.”

Simmons also put out a statement:

“I’m thrilled that the world, and a new generation, will have the opportunity to witness the creative spark that Eric B. and Rakim lit in hip hop…The duo moved the culture forward, and DJs and MCs to this day stand on their shoulders. I’m honored to work again with these great artists.”

This is not the first time the two entities worked together. In 1987, when Eric B. & Rakim released Paid in Full they were signed under Rush Management.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Eric B and Rakim announce live performance at apollo [View all] , maro, Fri Jun-23-17 12:28 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
y'all ain't shit for not caring about this
Jun 24th 2017
i live in LA. this is dope, of course, but me caring? no
Jun 25th 2017
Yeah, there ought to be more attention given
Jun 26th 2017
i care
Jun 26th 2017
RE: no you dont
Jun 27th 2017
Considering that Eric B's actual contribution to the music isn't substan...
Jul 13th 2017
RE: Eric B and Rakim announce live performance at apollo
Jun 24th 2017
Rakim was still performing the group stuff without Eric B right???
Jun 26th 2017
As far as I can remember, Rakim was doing shows since they
Jun 26th 2017
      but none WITH Eric B right?
Jun 26th 2017
Eric B & Rakim Reunite for 'Paid in Full' Anniversary Concert - RS swipe
Jul 08th 2017
There's about 40 people too many on stage...
Jul 10th 2017
Rakim's been using backing tracks for years
Jul 10th 2017
hold up..
Jul 12th 2017
      This is why I didn't go
Jul 18th 2017
      in the 90s he did
Jul 19th 2017
cringe-worthy
Jul 13th 2017
Why did they break up in the first place?
Jul 10th 2017
one of the few and rare on-camera interviews with Eric B
Jul 18th 2017

Lobby The Lesson topic #2992141 Previous topic | Next topic