Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2968113

Subject: "Anyone read "Kanye West owes me $300" by Jensen Karp aka Hot Karl?" Previous topic | Next topic
mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44735 posts
Tue Jun-21-16 02:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Anyone read "Kanye West owes me $300" by Jensen Karp aka Hot Karl?"

Plowed through it in about two days. Fairly interesting/entertaining read. It's sort of reminiscent of parts of the J-Zone book, except Hot Karl got signed to Interscope and was given a huge budget, only to get shelved months before he was about to release his album.

It's a fairly fascinating look at the hip-hop music industry in late '90s/early '00s, ***right*** before Napster really changed everything and when label spent tons of money on artists and even worked on artist development.

It also shows the process of how someone who made his name as a battle rapper had to put together a "complete" album, with club songs and guest appearances and "hot" producers. How these type of artists can work with their heroes like MC Serch, "street" rappers like Redman, but also record tracks with guys like Mark MacGrath.

It also shows a moment in time when Interscope would pour hundreds of thousands of dollars into Hot Karl's album but wouldn't take phone calls from Will.I.Am.

The anecdote can be pretty amusing too, especially his brushes with Kanye West, Suge Knight, Pink, 50 Cent, the Rhyme Syndicate circa '92, and a pork-hating Busta Rhymes.

I'm a little surprised I'd never heard of dude when he was coming up, but I figure that's because he was an LA radio phenomenon. First time I heard of him was when I got mailed a promo copy of the indie album he eventualy put out. I'm not sure I ever listened to it. Then I saw him interviewed in the "Adult Rappers" documentary that dropped earlier this year.

I'd recommend it as entertaining summer reading.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Anyone read "Kanye West owes me $300" by Jensen Karp aka Hot Karl? [View all] , mrhood75, Tue Jun-21-16 02:28 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I saw someone reading this on the train
Jun 21st 2016
All good. It is an enjoyable read.
Jun 22nd 2016
Sounds fun, thanks for the rec
Jun 22nd 2016
i remember him from his 92.3 radio promo spots
Jun 22nd 2016
He acknowledges the Em comparisons head on.
Jun 24th 2016
Just finished the audiobook
Jul 31st 2018

Lobby The Lesson topic #2968113 Previous topic | Next topic