Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2963939

Subject: "Prince has me cherishing Eric Clapton the past couple days." Previous topic | Next topic
Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Tue Apr-26-16 06:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Prince has me cherishing Eric Clapton the past couple days."
Tue Apr-26-16 07:01 PM by Jon

(one amazing thing about Prince is he can get you thinking about anyone from George Clinton to Eric Clapton to D'Angelo to fuckin probably Madonna if you dig her stuff which I don't but you get the idea -- that's incredible)

Prince was the very first famous person I ever wanted to be like. Around the time Purple Rain came out, my itty bitty self was mesmerized by everything about him, but particularly the purple and that guitar!

My family played into it, but the fun stopped when my band-leading, guitar-playing father caught me smashing his music equipment in the basement, trying to be like Prince lol.

So here I am, after Prince's passing, as an adult having been in awe of EVERYTHING about his art and music, having grown up to become something of a drummer/beatmaker/performer/painter/etc...but still mesmerized by the man's guitar. Rewatching him shred my soul during that classic Rock&Roll HOF performance, SNL Fury, and others... it suddenly hit me: I've been totally ignoring Eric Clapton's existence for probably the last decade-plus of my life, and this dude isn't getting any younger. One of the last remaining Mount Rushmore icons of that great guitar era spanning Jimi-Prince.

The fact that he's released a ton of boring snoozefest records doesn't change the fact that guitars turn into rocket launchers when he touches them.

I said in another post, if they do an all-star Prince tribute, my pick for any guitar solo would be Clapton (despite his lack of Prince's showmanship), purely on the grounds that Prince deserves to have his guitar game honored properly by a true master...and someone whose tone and style come within striking range of Prince's licks.

Anyway, I started watching Clapton videos and I'd like to share one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkDOp58bcII

(fireworks begin around the 2:00 mark and carry to the end)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Prince has me cherishing Eric Clapton the past couple days. [View all] , Jon, Tue Apr-26-16 06:57 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
good reasoning - that would be on-point to hear Eric pay tribute
Apr 26th 2016
*thumbs up*
Apr 26th 2016
Stevie Wonder, Quincy Jones, Smokey Robinson
Apr 26th 2016
What's the definitive Clapton album?
Apr 26th 2016
I have no idea lol...I just love those live solos
Apr 27th 2016
clapton is a racist idiot
Apr 27th 2016
Im a bigger Santana fan, but Clapton's easily the better shredder
Apr 27th 2016
      RE: Im a bigger Santana fan, but Clapton's easily the better shredder
Apr 27th 2016
           I mean, that was 40 yrs ago and he was a youngin on substances.
Apr 27th 2016
                i dont know if he has disowned that stuff
Apr 27th 2016
                     Either way, I'd sure love to hear him shred a Prince track
Apr 27th 2016
Clapton on Prince
Apr 27th 2016
That's awesome
Apr 27th 2016

Lobby The Lesson topic #2963939 Previous topic | Next topic