Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2933295

Subject: "That's always been a problem..." Previous topic | Next topic
Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Fri May-29-15 04:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "That's always been a problem..."
In response to In response to 0

Some genres like blues has practically been defined by white "ethno-musicologists" with "rural"/"authenticity" biases and other acts have their importance defined strictly on how influentil they were on white rock; see 50's rock'n'roll and the status of the regular Chuck Berry/Little Richard-types versus acts from the same era-think everyone from Jackie Wilson to Roy Brown -that were just as big-if not bigger-on the R&B charts and who might have had a much bigger impact on *black* music than the canonized names.

Doo-wop is another "genre" I think would have been viewed in a MUCH different light if there were black musicologists covering stuff and writing music history...

In jazz, there were some black writers in the 60's (think LeRoi Jones and AB Spellman) but they were what I guess could be considered "bohos" and their writing on free jazz and stuff didn't seem to make much impact on jazz-writing as a whole...

Outside of Nelson George and-if he counts due to his "esoteric" tastes-Greg Tate, Hip-Hop and its associated generation seems to be first time I can remember that you have a large amount of black musicologists writing stuff...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

What If Black Musicologists Wrote More About Black Music [View all] , boombapdame, Fri May-29-15 09:35 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
i think there is too much literature on hip hop and not enough
May 29th 2015
i agree especially about Black and ROck an ROll
May 29th 2015
yeah, "hip hop" is an unfair way to frame black musical accomplishments
May 29th 2015
      they don't know about black folks with country
May 29th 2015
add to that Detroit Techno and Chicago House
May 29th 2015
Do you mean musicologists, or ethnomusicologists?
May 29th 2015
this was my question too
Jun 01st 2015
historically speaking, this study may be of interest
Jun 01st 2015

Lobby The Lesson topic #2933295 Previous topic | Next topic