Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2933295

Subject: "What If Black Musicologists Wrote More About Black Music" Previous topic | Next topic
boombapdame
Member since Apr 22nd 2015
118 posts
Fri May-29-15 09:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What If Black Musicologists Wrote More About Black Music"
Fri May-29-15 09:40 AM by boombapdame

Specifically Hip Hop, as I've become moreso aware of some who do, as evidenced by this at www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_rkGmsTqIA. I will say that I am not a fan of Black intellectuals who write and/or lecture about Hip Hop from solely an Ivory Tower stance and while musicologists are also intellectuals, I can't see Dyson, Watkins, Rose, and any others who seem to have a surface level fanboy and/or fangirl fascination with the music/culture as being the voices of reason for a culture that was never purported to be "pro-education" but at the same time I give Rose her props for "Black Noise," which I personally discovered 13 years later and it changed the way I felt and approached Hip Hop. What musicologists do you think get writing about Black music/culture right and/or wrong? I dig Regina N. Bradley and Guthrie P. Ramsey.

"If one forces the process, it comes out fake. And to me there's nothing worse than being fake." - Heavy D

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

What If Black Musicologists Wrote More About Black Music [View all] , boombapdame, Fri May-29-15 09:35 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
i think there is too much literature on hip hop and not enough
May 29th 2015
i agree especially about Black and ROck an ROll
May 29th 2015
yeah, "hip hop" is an unfair way to frame black musical accomplishments
May 29th 2015
      they don't know about black folks with country
May 29th 2015
add to that Detroit Techno and Chicago House
May 29th 2015
Do you mean musicologists, or ethnomusicologists?
May 29th 2015
this was my question too
Jun 01st 2015
That's always been a problem...
May 29th 2015
historically speaking, this study may be of interest
Jun 01st 2015

Lobby The Lesson topic #2933295 Previous topic | Next topic