Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2921648

Subject: "keep struggling at how to approach this so i'm just gon ramble" Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 08:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "keep struggling at how to approach this so i'm just gon ramble"
In response to In response to 0

the fundamental of jazz is the head. it's not the melody. it's not the rhythm. it's the head.

the head is a phrase or a series of phrases. take so what and break it up into its phrases. note when there's a new phrase or when a phrase has just been transposed. note which phrases are takes on previous phrases. now when you listen to those solos try to identify those phrases or elements of them. there can be a rhythmic component to the phrase. a melodic component. a harmonic component. a modal component. and all of those things can get echoed back throught the song.

the players weave in and out of the head providing space for everyone to be able to play with the heads. playing with the head happens in various ways. cutting the phrase, drawing it out, transposing it, inverting it, taking it through intervals to arrive at another head and then back.

Jazz is all about making connections to the head, figuratively and literally. the player is constantly trying to improve upon his ability to take any head to new places and then bring it back home again.

that's the resolution, not necessarily in the traditional sense where a chord progression resolves itself, but where the head is called, expand upon and resolved back into itself.

free jazz incidentally is allowing the head to be born in the moment and giving it the authority to transform itself so that it never has to resolve (though it can as well). free jazz frees the player from the head by allowing the head to be free as well.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

help me navigate bebop. [View all] , Joe Corn Mo, Wed Feb-25-15 11:28 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE:
Feb 25th 2015
Maybe Duke Ellington said it best...
Feb 25th 2015
lol I prefer Sun-Ra to Miles as well, same kind of reason, yet I
Feb 27th 2015
What do you mean "doesn't resolve?"
Feb 26th 2015
i mean the part your ear is waiting to get to.
Feb 26th 2015
      Generally more useful to think in terms of types of resolution.
Feb 26th 2015
           that's really helpful.
Feb 26th 2015
                That said, I can't hum a Bird solo either.
Feb 26th 2015
                     nah, Hard Bop was more ''populist''...
Feb 26th 2015
                          That's true. Couldn't be any less, surely.
Feb 26th 2015
Charlie Parker's Music...
Feb 26th 2015
bebop has a rep as all brain and not danceable but
Feb 27th 2015
^^ edited above post to address the topic of navigating it early on
Feb 27th 2015
I'd say Dizzy was more ''out'' than Charlie tonally...
Feb 27th 2015
      No, I completely agree
Feb 27th 2015
I COMPLETELY agree with that George Clinton perspective btw
Feb 27th 2015
I think I'll make a mix of what I think might be accessible bop.
Feb 27th 2015

Lobby The Lesson topic #2921648 Previous topic | Next topic