Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2659204

Subject: "if we narrow the scope to keyboardists in jazz, maybe" Previous topic | Next topic
Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 08:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "if we narrow the scope to keyboardists in jazz, maybe"
In response to In response to 0
Wed Feb-08-12 08:37 AM by Dr Claw

>i ask because George Duke has done tried and done almost
>everything you can think of musically and not to mention as a
>Producer, etc.. and yet i get the sense that only his fan base
>takes his work beyond what the general public thinks and
>feels. now Herbie Hancock has done so many incredible things
>in music, however looking at George Duke and combining the
>sounds and versatility and changes in technilogy over the
>years do you feel George Duke has been as important as Herbie
>Hancock Why or why not?
>
>they have worked with quite a few of the same folks as well.

because Dukey (particularly in his MPS, fresh-outta-Zappaville era) did a lot of things with synthesizer voices Herbie and Chick were not doing, and making some real HARD and challenging music. I keep thinking about his FEEL album and that song "Rashid"; growing up, I knew the "R&B" George Duke. so hearing those records later on opened my ears wide.

George Duke comparatively is "unsung" despite his resume. He's well-known in the music industry, but he doesn't have too many albums like HEADHUNTERS or even FUTURE SHOCK that were such commercial and critical successes w/crossover appeal. if you said the name "Herbie Hancock" someone would probably know who he is even if they couldn't name a song. They'd mention his appearance on Sesame Street, or working with Christina Aguilera, or something like that. George Duke on the other hand not so much. And since Dukey came of particular import in the fusion era, he isn't much known in jazz circles for his acoustic pieces. Herbie's association with some of the GOATs (Miles especially) as a sideman in some very key periods, and his standards will most likely forever set him apart.

and speaking of the two, I think George Duke was much, much better at going outside of the "jazz" box w/r/t making catchy, accessible tunes (which is why he worked so well as a producer). Though I think he went a little too far in sounding like Bootsy and friends on some of his late '70s records, you take a song that is unmistakably Duke like "Searching Again", "Someday", or "Sweet Baby" (w/Stanley Clarke)... and they have all the hallmarks of a pop or R&B standard.

They both took a lot of flak for going outside the box, but I'll say for Duke he was committed once he found his groove. Herbie, for his uncanny ability to stay @ the bleeding edge of popular music at various points in his career, I will say had some stumbling points if he didn't retreat when the critics came closing in w/r/t his R&B period. Though I can't remember if he's ever admitted it (and ?uest once said here that he was shocked that anyone would want to hear a SUNLIGHT revisiting along the lines of what he did with the Headhunters idea in the mid 2000s), I get the idea that he really had visions of going the Quincy Jones route and producing. LITE ME UP is proof of that.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

do you feel George Duke is as important as herbie hancock? [View all] , mistermaxxx08, Wed Feb-08-12 03:56 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
good question.
Feb 08th 2012
great post, doc.
Feb 08th 2012
Duke can be streaky sometimes
Feb 08th 2012
You pretty much touched all the bases
Feb 08th 2012
      I've said it before and I'll say it again
Feb 08th 2012
           Lovin that avy...
Feb 08th 2012
                yeah, I was looking for the right picture
Feb 08th 2012
No. Because Duke is sorely underrated and underexposed.
Feb 08th 2012
this is as good a place as any
Feb 08th 2012
Not close to me...
Feb 08th 2012
I think Herbie has a broader range in music
Feb 08th 2012
Not AS but still very important. That's my dude though
Feb 08th 2012

Lobby The Lesson topic #2659204 Previous topic | Next topic