Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3045762

Subject: "I was a huge Chance fan from like 2013 to 2018" Previous topic | Next topic
Hitokiri
Charter member
22140 posts
Thu Apr-25-24 02:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "I was a huge Chance fan from like 2013 to 2018"
In response to In response to 0

And to me, his decline actually started with Coloring Book. I thought that Acid Rap was incredible. And a part of what made it special was that this young man had so distinctly had his own sound, his own well-developed style. The contemporary analog is Smino. On Coloring Book, he abandoned that. Instead of sounding and rapping like Chance, he sounded and rapped like whoever was on the track with him. He rapped like Wayne, he rapped like Future, he rapped like Thug. And not only that, it was where he pivoted real hard toward religion. On Acid Rap, he's questioning his faith and on Coloring Book he's talking about "how great is my God..."
It's still a good project, but no where near as compelling as Acid Rap, in my opinion.

The Big Day though, it's damn near unlistenable. And as a person who followed Chance pretty closely during that period, his relationship and marriage always seemed... forced. They weren't a couple until she got pregnant. At the time, it looked a whole lot like Chance did not, especially with his new found devotion, want to have a child out of wedlock. The Big Day in it's construction actually gives hints toward this. As much as the meme has become "I love my wife, igh!" That's not far off. Throughout the album he talks about loving her so much, she's so great this, so wonderful that, but he never goes beyond the surface. He never says anything interesting about her, doesn't really go into why he loves her, doesn't talk about their relation more than "I love my wife!" It's almost like he was just trying to convince everyone, including himself, that he loved her to that degree.

I don't think that he can't recover from that album per say, but a lot of people have really soured on Chance and the new tracks don't seem to have been bringing that many people back. And as far as the new songs themselves are concerned... he's been rapping really well... but it still feels like there's something missing. The pen is sharp but the soul is dull. I'll check Star Line Gallery whenever it finally drops, but I'm not hotly anticipating it or anything like that.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

I still think Chance is an elite rapper with lots of upside career. [View all] , Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Apr-09-24 06:54 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm rooting for him. Coloring Book is so dope.
Apr 10th 2024
I agree. I think Chance has TONS of upside...
Apr 10th 2024
He's still so young !!
Apr 10th 2024
I think this may be the biggest issue, right here:
Apr 11th 2024
I was just thinking he's the best of his gen
Apr 13th 2024
Nah I never really dug his music like that.
Apr 14th 2024
naw that "i love my wiiiiiife" album finished him.
Apr 14th 2024
His drops in the last few years...
Apr 20th 2024
I mean if this is a preview of what's to come...
Apr 24th 2024
I wouldn't say this sucks, but it's pretty unremarkable
Apr 25th 2024
      Chance has been captioning his video for the last few songs.
Apr 26th 2024
Ya boy is back. "Buried Alive" (2024)
Apr 25th 2024
The Big Day was great.
Apr 26th 2024
Loved the concept....poor execution
Apr 26th 2024
NO
Apr 26th 2024

Lobby The Lesson topic #3045762 Previous topic | Next topic