Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2854780

Subject: "This is a very good point>" Previous topic | Next topic
Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Fri Nov-08-13 09:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "This is a very good point>"
In response to In response to 9

So many artists get stuck after that first wave
>of ideas because they haven't refined their craft to be able
>to go beyond that.

I always feel that a lack of craft is not a problem as long as your ideas dont need craft to be pulled off. However, when the quality of your ideas is dampened by the lack of craft, there is a BIG problem, no doubt...

However, I justr think there is just as many, if not far more, artists who lose their plot in one way or another once they LEARN the craft that your examples of Jimi and Trane becomes more exceptions than anything else. And honestly, when it comes to Jimi, I suspect he was partially starting to lose it in the end and becoming too concerned with craft. I base that on songs like Night Bird Flying/which is a jam, make no mistake/which were amongst the last things he recorded. It\s like the studio and all its enormous possibilites and him finally getting a chance to master it and be in full control and having the experience to pull it off led to music that to me just lacks the brilliant balance of ragged RAWK attitude and technical skill that his early stuff had. Actually, I feel the same way about most latter Jimi recordings meant as songs. I still dig them but its not Manic Depression so to speak...

As for Coltrane, who knows

>The interplay of craft refinement vs raw talent met head on
>and created something otherworldly that wouldn't have been
>possible without the former.

Agreed and Id say most&all AMAZING artists had a balance. I also think the idea aspect was infinitely more important than the craft aspect and the latter was merely a tool to achieve the former. Of course, the craft was needed to get them there in the first place so I give you that. However, craft as a whole to me still means edges sandpapered off and you as a musician&singer&whatever fitting into an objective idea of skill&beauty&whatever. After all, thats how its recognized as craft or refined in the first place...
>
>
>I dig what you're saying but it just validates bands like
>Animal Collective and shit. It's all great to have ideas and
>inspiration, but refine your craft so that you can execute
>them to the fullest of their potential and see what lies
>beyond that.

But their ideads are not great, they are doing post/modern&post/punk&whatever takes on the ideas of Beach Boys and psych/ Beatles and whatever. Had they had craft, theyd be even more useless and end up as Black Crowes or Lenny Kravitz of their art instead.

Id argue that the lack of craft is what give acts like AC and others in their vein and in most of the whole MODERN \\indie\\ genre for that matter any value whatsoever, its what prevents them from just being revivalists... I think the same about White Stripes and Black Keys even if their music is more to my liking... More craft and they be pub/rock because craft is an objective measurement built on decades of refinements frequently FAR removed from the source/material...
>
>Imma stop ramblin now.
>
>Still wanna know your thoughts on that link from the last time
>we were talkin trane.
>

I listened to it on Spotify I think *maybe Im thinking about something else, drop the name again(, it was interesting but I did not find the electronic aspect substantial and I suspect that very aspect is what give them recognition in the first place...

>█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
>Big PEMFin H & z's
>"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1
>thing, a musician." © Miles
>
>"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Rolling Stone Magazine takes a giant shit on Electronic Dance Music (lin... [View all] , imcvspl, Fri Nov-08-13 02:26 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
This must have come from the 90's
Nov 08th 2013
I think they were trying to make a joke and forgot the punchline
Nov 08th 2013
Pfft...
Nov 08th 2013
      Shakin the 'It was better in the old days stick' I SEE YOU
Nov 08th 2013
      Its not really about that...
Nov 08th 2013
           whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa... lets not get carried away now
Nov 08th 2013
                Nope, I think they are...
Nov 08th 2013
                     Been reading about Bartok in Transylvannia this past week
Nov 08th 2013

we're pretty much in agreement
Nov 09th 2013
      i disagree strongly.
Nov 09th 2013
It sucks! Unless we're putting it on the cover.
Nov 08th 2013

Lobby The Lesson topic #2854780 Previous topic | Next topic