Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2831080

Subject: "Reasonable Doubt: When I was first exposed to it? 5/5. Now? 2/5." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Xen_
Member since May 14th 2011
84 posts
Sat Aug-10-13 03:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Reasonable Doubt: When I was first exposed to it? 5/5. Now? 2/5."
Sat Aug-10-13 03:15 PM by Xen_

Approaching Jay-Z's first effort over 15 years after its first release is something I'd advise any fan of hip hop to experience. While I used to love this album for its immaculate production and Jay-Z's too-smooth-for-you cadence, I've since realized that it's an extremely “safe”, boring album.

Time has not been kind to Young Hov; his flow is awkward and withdrawn. Jay-Z rarely raps about something that's worth keeping your attention; when he does, it sounds too sedated to truly resonate. There are periodic moments on songs like "D'Evils", "Regrets" and "Feelin' It", but overall this feels like a demo tape when held next to his later material.

It's obvious Jay-Z has progressed tremendously as a rapper and it's also obvious people love to hype an aesthetic over actual substance. Jay-Z himself is also guilty of this: sampling classic bars from Snoop Dogg and 1994 Nasty Nas and turning them into love letters. The whole album suffers from nostalgia: he's trying to make a "Golden Age Hip Hop Classic", but is just about 2 years late.

Perhaps the real reason this album never "blew up" was because listeners could instinctively sense that Jay-Z was holding back. Though many hip hop heads tout Reasonable Doubt as an example of "classic lyricism", the truth is that Jay-Z just wanted to be amazing, but wasn't there yet. A reality check arrives when Mr. Carter is placed next to The Notorious B.I.G., who at this point was a rapper in his prime.

I used to love this album and as my taste in Hip Hop evolved, I have come to realize most rappers really aren't all that amazing. Like artists in other mediums, it is rare when the stars align and we are presented a flawless entity. Like other artists, rappers can progress in talent, ultimately forming an arc of evolution. Being that Jay-Z would grow to become a household, trans-generational name, Reasonable Doubt is clearly his very humble, more-of-a-fan-than-a-rapper, dabblin’ beginning. Mr. Carter was in love with hip hop but just hadn't quite found his niche.

Printer-friendly copy

Reasonable Doubt: When I was first exposed to it? 5/5. Now? 2/5. [View all] , Xen_, Sat Aug-10-13 03:13 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Another RD post.......
Aug 10th 2013
RE: Another RD post.......
Aug 10th 2013
this site is full of weirdos
Aug 10th 2013
RE: this site is full of weirdos
Aug 10th 2013
That and them trying to convince you that Jay somehow...
Aug 10th 2013
How can you listen to RD and not want to hear newer Jay-Z?
Aug 10th 2013
Guess you're referring to my post earlier this week
Aug 10th 2013
Jay actually had a better verse than Biggie on Young G's
Aug 10th 2013

Lobby The Lesson topic #2831080 Previous topic | Next topic