Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13499792

Subject: "Tyler Perry concerned about AI, while using AI.. halts $800M expansion " Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79939 posts
Fri Feb-23-24 08:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Tyler Perry concerned about AI, while using AI.. halts $800M expansion "
Fri Feb-23-24 08:19 PM by legsdiamond

He’s using AI and realizing he doesn’t need more studio space and manpower. All while trying to sound sympathetic.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/tyler-perry-studio-expansion-openai-sora-concerns-1235920007/#article-comments

Tyler Perry‘s planned $800 million studio expansion in Atlanta has been put on the back burner due to his growing concerns over developments in artificial intelligence.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter published on Thursday, Perry expressed a need for the industry to get ahead of AI’s potential impact, saying, “There’s got to be some sort of regulations in order to protect us. If not, I just don’t see how we survive.”

He went on to specifically cite OpenAI‘s text-to-video tool Sora as the impetus for the expansion stoppage. “I have been watching AI very closely and watching the advancements very closely. I was in the middle of, and have been planning for the last four years, about an $800 million expansion at the studio, which would’ve increased the backlot a tremendous size, we were adding 12 more soundstages. All of that is currently and indefinitely on hold because of Sora and what I’m seeing.”

Perry clarified that he’s not against AI, sharing that he’s used the tech in two of his upcoming films, opting to age himself in post-production instead of in a makeup chair.

While he acknowledged the potential of AI to assist in filmmaking, allowing him to create sets with text instead of by traveling, he fears for the jobs that could be lost to automation. “It makes me worry so much about all of the people in the business. Because as I was looking at it, I immediately started thinking of everyone in the industry who would be affected by this, including actors and grip and electric and transportation and sound and editors, and looking at this, I’m thinking this will touch every corner of our industry,” he said.

Perry added that he hopes the value of human workers isn’t lost in the shuffle. “I just hope that as people are embracing this technology and as companies are moving to reduce costs and save the bottom line, that there’ll be some sort of thought and some sort of compassion for humanity and the people that have worked in this industry and built careers and lives, that there’s some sort of thought for them.”

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Tyler Perry concerned about AI, while using AI.. halts $800M expansion [View all] , legsdiamond, Fri Feb-23-24 08:18 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
If only he had taken time to write or get help writing
Feb 25th 2024
the man realizes he doesn't need more space or people
Feb 25th 2024
right
Feb 26th 2024
But that would take away his ‘but he supplies so many jobs for us’
Feb 26th 2024
      he’s trying to play both sides
Feb 26th 2024
You said what I came here to say.
Feb 26th 2024
      Kelly naked in that joint?
Feb 26th 2024
           lol
Feb 26th 2024
           There's a scene but no not really
Feb 28th 2024
                it was beyond bad
Feb 29th 2024
                     but I have to admit, Kelly is fine as hell
Mar 01st 2024
Blame the man for being hesistant to invest almost a billion dollars...
Feb 26th 2024
Then he doesn't need to pretend to care about the work lost.
Feb 26th 2024
yeah, I’m not blaming him, just pointing out the obvious
Feb 26th 2024
That's not just how it is going to work.
Feb 26th 2024
Get excited about being replaced!!!
Feb 27th 2024
... none of that's really my point, though.
Feb 27th 2024
      This is the either or you set up.
Feb 28th 2024
           "Machinery, gifted with the wonderful power of shortening...
Mar 01st 2024
was he going to be the only filmmaker using this expanded studio?
Feb 29th 2024
It's AI. It's not an earthquake or a hurricane.
Feb 26th 2024
It's technology. They are all going to use it. It's as inevitable as...
Feb 26th 2024
      It's not SkyNet. No one is forcing Perry to use it
Feb 28th 2024
           Bro you can't be the only record label to skip streaming when everyone
Feb 28th 2024
                it sounds like he used AI and realized he can save a shit ton of money
Mar 01st 2024
                     That's litrerally what everyone in the entire industry is doing
Mar 01st 2024
I was definitely about to buy a new bugatti
Mar 02nd 2024
tyler perry doesn't need AI to not pay people
Feb 27th 2024
Tis true.
Mar 01st 2024

Lobby General Discussion topic #13499792 Previous topic | Next topic