Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13314265

Subject: "Sixth grade kid arrested for not pledging allegiance" Previous topic | Next topic
Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon Feb-18-19 11:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Sixth grade kid arrested for not pledging allegiance"

They're trying to spin it as "it's not because he wouldn't say the pledge, it's because he disrespected the officer," but wtf kind of garbage teacher are you for calling the district office because a kid owned you too hard and made you look bad? Fire her and make this kid principal of the school for a month or something.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2019/02/17/florida-sixth-grader-charged-with-misdemeanor-after-refusing-recite-pledge-allegiance/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b31474d6d37e

A Florida student is facing misdemeanor charges after a confrontation with his teacher that began with his refusal to recite the Pledge of Allegiance and escalated into what officials described as disruptive behavior.

The student, a sixth-grader at Lawton Chiles Middle Academy in Lakeland, Fla., east of Tampa, refused to stand for the pledge, telling the teacher that he thinks the flag and the national anthem are “racist” against black people, according to an affidavit. The teacher then had what appeared to be a contentious exchange with him.

If living in the United States is “so bad,” why not go to another place to live? Ana Alvarez, who was substituting at the school, asked the student, according to a handwritten statement from her.

“They brought me here,” the boy replied.

Alvarez responded by saying, “Well you can always go back, because I came here from Cuba, and the day I feel I’m not welcome here anymore, I would find another place to live.” She then called the district office because she did not want to keep dealing with the student, according to the statement.

Officials said the situation escalated. The student yelled at the dean and a school resource officer who came to the classroom, accused them of being racist and repeatedly refused to leave the room.

“Suspend me! I don’t care. This school is racist,” the student, who is black, told the dean as he walked out of the room with his backpack, according to the affidavit.

The student was later charged with disruption of a school facility and resisting an officer without violence.

The Lakeland Police Department said in a news release that the student was not arrested for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance.

“This arrest was based on the student’s choice to disrupt the classroom, make threats and resisting the officer’s efforts to leave the classroom,” the release said.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Florida issued a rebuke in the wake of the controversy.

“This is outrageous. Students do not lose their First Amendment rights when they enter the schoolhouse gates,” the group said on Twitter. “This is a prime example of the over-policing of Black students in school.”

The 11-year-old’s mother, Dhakira Talbot, was not immediately available for comment Sunday, but she told Bay News 9 that the teacher was wrong and that the school overstepped its authority by punishing her son, who was taken to a juvenile detention center and suspended for three days after the Feb. 4 incident.

“I’m upset, I’m angry. I’m hurt. More so for my son. My son has never been through anything like this. I feel like this should’ve been handled differently. If any disciplinary action should’ve been taken, it should’ve been with the school. He shouldn’t have been arrested,” Talbot told the TV station, adding that she thought the charges should be dropped and that the school should be held accountable for its handling of the situation.

The affidavit stated that the student threatened to beat the teacher, but Talbot told Bay News 9 that her son did no such thing.

In a statement Monday, Polk County Public Schools said the resource officer, not school officials, made the decision to arrest the student.

The school district said that students are not required to participate in the pledge. In fact, the Supreme Court ruled in 1943 in West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette that schools cannot require students to salute the flag or recite the pledge, citing First Amendment rights.

But Alvarez, the teacher, was not aware that the school does not require students to recite the pledge, the district said, adding that officials will look at improving training for substitute teachers and that Alvarez no longer works in the district.

“We do not condone the substitute’s behavior. We respect our students’ right to freedom of expression and we are committed to protecting that critical right while ensuring peaceful classrooms so all students can learn,” the district said.

The Pledge of Allegiance and the national anthem have been sources of tension after critics, including President Trump, denounced former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick for taking a knee during the anthem, an act to protest racial injustice and police brutality. But many followed Kaepernick’s lead and defended his right to free speech and to protest.

In 2017, a black student was expelled from her Houston high school for refusing to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance. India Landry’s silent protest prompted a long legal battle in federal court, with the teen’s family accusing the school of violating her free-speech rights. Last year, the Texas attorney general intervened and defended a state law requiring students to recite the pledge.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Sixth grade kid arrested for not pledging allegiance [View all] , Marauder21, Mon Feb-18-19 11:58 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I was guessing either Florida or Texas
Feb 18th 2019
Fuck that school and that teacher
Feb 18th 2019
I remember substitute teachers usually being
Feb 18th 2019
      My Brother was a teacher/substitute here in FL
Feb 18th 2019
Cuban asshole teacher
Feb 18th 2019
it's funny how stuck these freedomy types are on the pledge & anthem
Feb 18th 2019
I remember when Obama recorded a message for schoolkids
Feb 18th 2019
Or when some kids (voluntarily) sang a song for Obama
Feb 18th 2019
To be fair, it's mostly because they're really, really fucking stupid
Feb 18th 2019
^^^^^^^^^^
Feb 18th 2019
Feb 18th 2019
you just reminded me how my dumbfuck uncle
Feb 18th 2019
exactly this. fuck all of them. nm
Feb 19th 2019
a damn substitute too
Feb 18th 2019
read this the other day and i was fucking fuming
Feb 18th 2019
I know the teacher sucks, the resource office sucks but...
Feb 19th 2019
I addressed that in the initial post, probably should've read that
Feb 19th 2019
I think the meat of the story is escalating this situation
Feb 19th 2019
      I agree the escalation is what's wrong, but that alone wouldn't have
Feb 19th 2019
      Where was the escalation? When the school ressource officer showed up?
Feb 19th 2019
           The teacher escalated by calling them
Feb 19th 2019
SMH@a Cuban telling a black kid to go back to Africa
Feb 19th 2019
But yall real enough hip-hops to remember this Terminator X track though...
Feb 19th 2019
i still got the $5 west end cassette of Jeep Beats
Feb 19th 2019
SCOTUS says not required, texas says it is?
Feb 20th 2019
How can a State force you to stand for the pladhe?
Feb 20th 2019
      Yeah I don't get that
Feb 20th 2019
           I can see requiring schools to play it
Feb 20th 2019

Lobby General Discussion topic #13314265 Previous topic | Next topic