Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13312040

Subject: "I feel like it could transformative if the Dem Party ran as a....Party. " Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49432 posts
Wed Feb-06-19 11:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I feel like it could transformative if the Dem Party ran as a....Party. "

I've been thinking a lot lately that the way we frame presidential elections is wrong.

We more or less have individuals running with the implicit promise that they alone can make change happen. You see it on both sides. Though no candidate will admit it (and the narcissism of small differences won't allow us to see it), but most dems running for president have very similar platforms and policy goals. Each try to distinguish themselves by presenting themselves as "The One" who can get it done. I mean even Barack Obama was dubbed "the One". Everyone criticizes Howard Shultz naivete in believing he alone can solve Washington gridlock by bringing a common sense practical aisle crossing approach to Washington. But that was Barack Obama's whole campaign appeal in 08.

Republicans are different only in that Trump didn't make an implicit promise that he is the one, he literally said that he is the only one who can fix Washington.

The problem with this approach is multifold. For one, if you set up expectations that you can fix Washington in 4 to 8 years, you are bound to dissappoint a lot of people. Though Obama is still very popular, there was a much louder grousing about what he had not been able to accomplish all the way to the moment Trump was elected.

The other big problem with this approach is what happens when the person who has convinced you that they are the one, doesn't get the nomination? At best you lose some level of interest in the process and at worst you believe the person who did win the nomination is illegitimate and you actively work against that candidate. The Bernie Bros versus the Hillary fans was bad for 2016. It's possible to be a lot worst if it's Bernie Bros vs. Kamala Harris fans vs. Corey Booker fans vs. Tulsi Fans (is that a thing?) versus Beto Fans etc.

I am all for as many Candidates throwing their hat into the ring and the best person wins, but I worry a fall out would be a bloody nomination process and lot of sore losers who become disengaged with the process after their candidate does not win.

I see all the time here and on twitter people saying "X is the only candidate that I would vote for". I always ask them, so if X doesn't win the nomination, you are fine with Trump getting 4 more years? It's unfortunate people think that way but that's what happens when we have an all or nothing nomination process.

I don't think it has to be that way and I think It can be fixed without drastic changes. I think it can be fixed with framing, changing the process a little, and tinkering with the calender.

Here is my thought.

Change the Nomination process so that it is shorter and ends a lot earlier. Let's have a fair and open process but get to the outcome waaay sooner.

Then when you have your nominee picked, that Nominee declares their VP and Cabinet Picks Waaay early. Then when you have your squad all lined up, you formalize your platform and campaign like a team like the Avengers.

This would have so many benefits I think. If your candidate loses, you can bear the loss better when you know their role before the election and that losing candidate can campaign aggressively for the nominee with their fans for the November election.

If Elizabeth Warren doesn't win the nomination, that's an easier pill to swallow for her fans if they know she will be head of Treasury and she is active on the trail for whoever is the nominee (though she should stay in the Senate but yeah).

You also get to put all these rock stars who aren't necessarily ready to run for President to work. Get Beto, Andrew Gillum and Stacey Abrams out there to deploy their fans and groom the bench.

Now I know that this is how a Party is suppose to work but I don't think it does these days. We elect individuals. I think there is a benefit if people saw themselves electing a team.

These are just a diaherra of thoughts I've been thinking for a few days. I think I will spend more time with it and write an actually essay if I can flesh the idea out a little more.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

I feel like it could transformative if the Dem Party ran as a....Party. [View all] , Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Feb-06-19 11:22 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Open question ... have you studied political science?
Feb 06th 2019
You think it's a grand proclamation to say that the Dems should be more....
Feb 06th 2019
      Declaring that X group representing and vying to rep tens of millions o...
Feb 06th 2019
From the title I thought you were suggesting a system like the UK...
Feb 06th 2019
That would be dope, would require scrapping the constitution though
Feb 06th 2019
If the opposing party still controls the Senate, though
Feb 06th 2019
huh?
Feb 06th 2019
      Because now the GOP has months of campaigning against your
Feb 06th 2019
total sidebar: I appreciate your effort
Feb 06th 2019
Thanks. Let this Ninja MEAT tell it opinions are reserved for academics